Hunting preserve hunting.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
back to the hunts, I've been to one preserve about 3 different years, years ago. I was free for me, they feed us good, and I had a good time.

But, it's not something that I would pay to do.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
EEECAD7D-092D-4D16-A481-DB62200A7067.jpegDepends on where you go....I go to a place in the lowcountry I’ve been going for 16 years now. If my dog gets tired, I’ve got standing permission to grab one of the owners dogs (one or more) from the kennel and go hunt. We went down Monday on a last minute trip with plans to hunt Tuesday. He had a group in earlier that day that didn’t get all the birds, so we took my brittany and hunted. No clue where the birds were or how many. First point was a covey of 8-9. Doubled on that one and the next. Killed 15 birds in an hour and a half and watched the sun go down. Threw some CO elk loins on the grill and had some cold drinks.

This place is special, and most aren’t like it, but preserve hunts can be fun and good work for the dogs.1A5CAC4E-DB6C-443D-B004-4E772BB27C6A.jpeg1869E360-B275-4461-911A-3C7B07F2690E.jpeg1A5C2161-A7CF-4150-925C-7AD579255F27.jpeg

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 78905Depends on where you go....I go to a place in the lowcountry I’ve been going for 16 years now. If my dog gets tired, I’ve got standing permission to grab one of the owners dogs (one or more) from the kennel and go hunt. We went down Monday on a last minute trip with plans to hunt Tuesday. He had a group in earlier that day that didn’t get all the birds, so we took my brittany and hunted. No clue where the birds were or how many. First point was a covey of 8-9. Doubled on that one and the next. Killed 15 birds in an hour and a half and watched the sun go down. Threw some CO elk loins on the grill and had some cold drinks.

This place is special, and most aren’t like it, but preserve hunts can be fun and good work for the dogs.View attachment 78900View attachment 78902View attachment 78903

Used to know a guy that rain the old south Davidson preserve in Denton. He would let us go pretty much any day we wanted after everyone had left and it was some of my fondest memories. The groups that hinted would never find all of the birds and we would mop up after them. Aside from woodcock hunting this was the only way to scratch the bird hunting itch and watch good dog work.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Its more fun than going to piggly wiggly to buy dinner, is it a true "wild" "i earned each kill" experience of course not, but neither is going for a caribou hunt in Northern Quebec
Take it for what it is and enjoy it

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Its more fun than going to piggly wiggly to buy dinner, is it a true "wild" "i earned each kill" experience of course not, but neither is going for a caribou hunt in Northern Quebec
Take it for what it is and enjoy it
Exactly...to me its like fishing trout when they stock the ponds in Raleigh in December.