Hunting own land without license?

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What do you need and how to report kill if you hunt your own land without license? My dad wants to hunt his land only.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not farm land just land.

A landowner or person leasing land primarily for cultivation, their spouse, and dependents under 18 residing with them, may hunt, trap and fish on such land without a license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks, we were just wondering how he reports it, cause it dosen't say anything about how to report it.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A landowner or person leasing land primarily for cultivation, their spouse, and dependents under 18 residing with them, may hunt, trap and fish on such land without a license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must get big game tags. Still have to report kill. They will be free

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
You need to get a license exempt big game report card. You can get them anywhere that sells licenses but most will charge you $2 processing fee.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I only hunt my own land. Like was said above. I call ncwrc they send me a big game excempt license and tags each year. Still need to tag and report

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DRS

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I call the WRC every year and request my landowner tags, even get a bear tag for free. It doesn't matter how much, or little land you own, or if it's under cultivation or not. Also, your wife or anyone else who is listed as an owner on the deed can get their tags as well. These tags are only good on your property, and all harvests must be reported.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What do you need and how to report kill if you hunt your own land without license? My dad wants to hunt his land only.

Have your dad go to anywhere that prints tags and have him ask for landowner's big game tags. All they need is his driver's license and proof of Hunter's safety course, or previous tag. It costs $2 and they'll print them right there.

You get the big game tags. Deer and Turkey. Small game rules apply as well. Bear & other bird tags/stamps are extra, and the same cost as they are to anyone else.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I call the WRC every year and request my landowner tags, even get a bear tag for free. It doesn't matter how much, or little land you own, or if it's under cultivation or not. Also, your wife or anyone else who is listed as an owner on the deed can get their tags as well. These tags are only good on your property, and all harvests must be reported.

I've had to purchase the bear tag since it became a $10 tag. Even with landowner tags.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I'm clarifying the land requirement for license exemption, free game tags.

If it's land that you own there is no agricultural requirement.

If it is land that you lease it needs to be leased by you for the purpose of farming by you.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
ok, If you don't need a license because you are hunting your own land, do you still need to abide by the Hunter's Education requirement?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
ok, If you don't need a license because you are hunting your own land, do you still need to abide by the Hunter's Education requirement?

There is an interesting play on words because the wording in the handbook states you need the hunters safety course to purchase a hunting license (exceptions being grandfathered or previous license). Technically a landowner doesn't purchase a license and by that you would assume it doesn't apply. Trouble is you can't assume anything with NCWRC.

Another interesting thing to note is youth who have not obtained a Certificate of Competency showing their completion of the hunter safety course must be accompanied by a properly licensed adult when hunting.

Does this mean a youth that hasn't completed the safety course technically can't hunt if they are hunting under a landowner/lease exemption?