Hunting lanyard

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I didn't make the laynard myself I had blackheel make it for me a number of years ago at the Dixie Deer Classic. I wear this every time I hunt. I put a couple of those beach wallets on it. I carry my hunting licenses as well as my tags and my duck stamp. I also keep any permissions slips in them as well. I carry a lighter, and a couple other fire starters. I have a whistle and tonight I just replaced the compass that I broke during turkey season. I also keep a key to the clubhouse.

I guess 30+ years ago when I was hunting in Maine and hunting the big woods I made my first with a boot lace and a crown royal bag. I feel having around neck was best cause I'd always have it with me.
I've evolved it over the years to where it's at today. I use to carry change back in the day incase I got lost and popped out on a road and found a pay phone. Not no more. Usually some cash these days but no coins.

Plus by adding the wallet I avoid carrying a wallet in my pocket and I also always know where my hunting paperwork is.
It's handy for me and I like it. While I was fixing it up for hunting season I'd thought I'd post it up In case someone might want to try to do something like this.

Attachments

• 20220813_200030.jpg
    20220813_200030.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 42

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have my squirrel bag. old army bag found in my parents garage years ago. presently outfitted for fishing. will change over for bow season. No clue on how long I've carried it.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Here is a pdf of the small survival book the Maine Warden Service use to give out at the hunter safety class. While some of it is specific to Maine a lot of it is good advice on what to do if you get lost. Pretty common issue in Maine. Some big woods and you can walk for days and find yourself in Canada if your not careful. ;)

I've never had to spend an unplanned night in the woods but I have been befuddled for an hour or two about where I was exactly :D