Hunting in SC

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Picked up a lease in SC, out near Chester/Lancaster. Met a few guys on the lease. Seem like great people. Rate was reasonable for what you get.

Did some scouting and found some good areas. Threw up a few cams this weekend. Can't wait to get to know the land a bit over the next several months before season starts. Anyone else cross the border to SC?

Also, kicking myself because I didn't check beforehand but if doing the math correctly out of state license is going to cost $225 plus $50 ($20 each there after, max of 3) for first buck and $10 per doe (max of 4). $285 (if shooting 1 buck and 1 doe) for living 5 minutes from the border is a bit steep and will have to keep that into consideration when renewing next year (we're in Steele Creek, literally 5 minute drive from Cabela's haha).

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yes, the license fees went up in SC,,,

you may not need doe tags if your lease has DMAP tags,,

gnorris74

Spike
That’s the reason I can’t bring myself to do some of the SC clubs. It would be much easier and closer to join those, but the cost for that and the license is a little to rich for me.

jgav

Four Pointer
TheCloudX - I'm in a similar situation down there. What club is it? Send me a PM if you'd prefer. We're right by Great Falls.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That’s the reason I can’t bring myself to do some of the SC clubs. It would be much easier and closer to join those, but the cost for that and the license is a little to rich for me.

The big thing I like is how it's a 45 minute drive from the house. That was the draw for me. Cost is high, and I overlooked the 1k-1500 leases in NC because I didn't want to spend that high. Depending on how the next year and season goes, I may look in that ballpark next time to stay in NC. But, it's hard to beat being less than a hour away. Especially since I work from home and have flexible hours. Looking forward to clocking out for a few hours and going to sit in the blind!

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
TheCloudX - I'm in a similar situation down there. What club is it? Send me a PM if you'd prefer. We're right by Great Falls.

I'm on Rocky Creek Hunt Club. Hit all the boxes I was looking for. All the guys I've met so far have been really nice. Took my SO down there on Easter to put up cameras. The president drove us around so I can plot my locations in the GPS. Thought it was real nice of him to take time away on Easter to do so. They were real nice to my SO. She's not a hunter but supports it for me, so that was really important. Even though it had rained just the other day, the areas I envisioned a blind going up had fresh tracks, so got pretty excited about that. Since it's going to rain on Saturday, I'll hold off until the following week to go and pull cards but hoping to see some nice deer.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
SC recently enacted some statewide antler restrictions and I know some folks were upset with that

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
SC has always been expensive to hunt for out of state hunters but hunting is not going to get any cheaper .... and they know it ;)
I think I paid 181 bucks back in 1997 to turkey hunt in SC for 3 days on the Sandhills State Forest .
If I had more time I would turkey hunt in SC . I really enjoyed hunting down there on the Sandhills State Forest.
Pop and I bought the 3 day license in 2014 when we hunted down in Hampton county SC and never even thought about the cost after the great hunts we had.
He killed a nice gobbler and I blew our chance for a double, waiting on him to shoot first .
You kill a big buck and you will forget about that license fee
;)

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
SC recently enacted some statewide antler restrictions and I know some folks were upset with that

Very misleading post right here.

You can kill three bucks of choice, the next two have to have 4 on a side or a 12" spread.

Anybody upset with that can go pound sand.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

You can kill three bucks of choice, the next two have to have 4 on a side or a 12" spread.

Not misleading, Some of the bucks as you posted now have ars. Not all

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

the rule you posted is for residents,,,,so to further clarify,,,

nonresidents: Two (2) unrestricted antlered Buck Tags and 2 Restricted Antlered Buck Tags. The cost for the first buck tag is $50 and $20 for each additional tag ($110 for all 4). After the purchase of an unrestricted buck tag there is no particular order in which buck tags must be purchased or used. Nonresidents may take a total of 4 antlered bucks statewide annually.

and if folks don't like that they can "pound sand"! or whine to the SC Legislature,,,,,me,, I'll just live with it till I am done hunting deer down there

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I hunt SC and the new regulations had me think twice on shooting a buck early in the season. I had numerous opportunity to shoot but passed knowing A. there were bigger ones around and 2. I would be paying for the next tag. I'm not a horn hunter (maybe just contradicted point A.) and usually take one based on if I feel like taking one or want some meat. I'm lucky in that I do not pay for a lease but obviously have to pay for the license. If I had to pay for a lease, there between the cost of each I would probably hunt NC public land.

Wasn't really the cost of the tags, at that point, another $20 is no big deal, I bought 2 buck tags 1 in case I wanted to shoot and another to save in case. I made some tag soup after the season. It was delicious.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
the rule you posted is for residents,,,,so to further clarify,,,

nonresidents: Two (2) unrestricted antlered Buck Tags and 2 Restricted Antlered Buck Tags. The cost for the first buck tag is $50 and $20 for each additional tag ($110 for all 4). After the purchase of an unrestricted buck tag there is no particular order in which buck tags must be purchased or used. Nonresidents may take a total of 4 antlered bucks statewide annually.

and if folks don't like that they can "pound sand"! or whine to the SC Legislature,,,,,me,, I'll just live with it till I am done hunting deer down there

What did you used to pay for tags? What were the restrictions for NR's then?

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks yall! I'm looking forward to the season. Thought about going to sit for turkeys to start getting a feel for the land, but work and other stuff is impacting that.

Put up cams last week and intended to let them sit for two weeks, but ended up having to travel next week so checked on them today. No pics even though they're on active trails. Night pics are all black, so think I got bad cams. Sign is definitely there and that's what matters.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What did you used to pay for tags? What were the restrictions for NR's then?

Used to pay for tags? SC didn't have seperate buck tags prior to last year and there were no seperate restrictions for NRs until they came up with the new rules that started last year

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Used to pay for tags? SC didn't have seperate buck tags prior to last year and there were no seperate restrictions for NRs until they came up with the new rules that started last year

I knew there never were tags for bucks in SC. Forgive my snarkiness; CRC rubs me the wrong way with his trolling BS.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i have paid the out of state fees for decades in SC for just turkeys. worth every penny to me just to be able to hunt earlier in the year.
Used to Also double my weekend hunting since they allowed Sunday private land hunting.

i had a chance to join a big club near where i have hunted but couldnt see it being worth it just for turkeys. i wouldnt drive that far for the deer i see killed there.

Reactions: jug

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
i have paid the out of state fees for decades in SC for just turkeys. worth every penny to me just to be able to hunt earlier in the year.
Used to Also double my weekend hunting since they allowed Sunday private land hunting.

i had a chance to join a big club near where i have hunted but couldnt see it being worth it just for turkeys. i wouldnt drive that far for the deer i see killed there.

I hear ya. I've been keeping an eye out for a lease/club in NC that's within a hour drive of the house. So far haven't found one, but see a lot in SC. Even though the license is pricey, still getting a good deal I think. 45 minute drive from house to gate isn't bad at all. Did some scouting and have cams up, so hoping to get some feel for it. 6 months is a long wait haha