Hunting in city limits

Brad71x

Button Buck
I am currently hunting the urban archery in Pleasant Garden, but have been trying to find out if hunting in city limits is legal during regular deer season. I have called the city hall emailed the mayor and looked through the city ordinances online but have yet to get a straight answer. Thought maybe some one here could clarify or help me in which direction I should go to stay within the laws.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I can’t really help you with Pleasant Garden. I know in Winston-salem when I wanted to hunt there. They have laws rules call the crap what you want about not shooting any weapon inside the limits. You can’t even shoot a sling shot. There may not be a rule in Pleasant Garden about hunting but maybe one about shooting. Also had a warden tell me it would be the city to enforce those rules he was only concerned about deer being killed.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Check with local game warden. Everywhere is different I know in Albemarle you could bow hunt all during regular deer season plus urban archery.

Brad71x

Button Buck
I have spoken to the Mayor and town clerk, they dont have a Police dept Guilford Co sheriff polices for them. I f they do have such rules should they be in the city ordinances and available for the public to see? If a city official doesnt like deer hunting and just states no hunting does that qualify as a law / rule wouldnt it have to be in writing? I have to have land owners permission in writing....

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes I would think it would have to be in writing and posted for the whole world to see. It would have had to be voted on and passed. If they can’t provide a copy of it I would hunt it. Keep a record of who you talked with and when. It’s amazing some of the :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk that these city and towns put out.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My understanding was usually, if there is an urban season it is legal to hunt during the regular season also unless it is expressly forbidden by ordinance. There cannot be a (archery) discharge ordinance or the urban season would violate that. On top of that, from a population reduction perspective, it makes pretty much zero sense to allow the urban season, but not allow hunting during the regular season. If there isn't an ordinance they can point to directly, then it is legal by default.

Last edited:

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Go ahead and hunt it. If there is a law or ordinance, it will be referenced on your citation. Then you can look it up and see exactly what it says

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Again, it seems to vary by local ordinance. I have an instance where a piece was annexed by the city, but since it’s current use is ag/forestry it is ok to hunt.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Contact the city attorney.

Most likely, there will not be a "no hunting" ordinance in city limits. What you will find most often is a projectile ordinance which prohibits anything that discharges a projectile, like firearms, spring guns, bow and arrows, etc. In my city, the ordinance specifically allows archery shooting with certain restrictions for safety, AND prohibits shooting any arrows tipped with razors, broadheads, barbs, etc. Only field points are legal.

That effectively makes "hunting" in my city limits illegal.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I would read the local ordinances, if no ordinances about hunting or weapons discharge I would hunt. I was told once, if the town was a bird sanctuary the town was a no hunting zone. The town I live in had no such ordinances, we hunt in the city limits all the time. The town took in most of the township some years ago, so there are large tracts of undeveloped areas.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Contact the city attorney.

Most likely, there will not be a "no hunting" ordinance in city limits. What you will find most often is a projectile ordinance which prohibits anything that discharges a projectile, like firearms, spring guns, bow and arrows, etc. In my city, the ordinance specifically allows archery shooting with certain restrictions for safety, AND prohibits shooting any arrows tipped with razors, broadheads, barbs, etc. Only field points are legal.

That effectively makes "hunting" in my city limits illegal.
But I believe a city that is enrolled in the urban archery season must make a provision for hunting with such "projectiles" if they have an ordinance of that type.

@Brad71x did any officials point you to a city ordinance?

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Guilford County has rules for discharging a firearm. It is 100-150 yards from a neighbor unless you have permission from them. I live in Summerfield and they follow the GC rules and nothing more.

Brad71x

Button Buck
But I believe a city that is enrolled in the urban archery season must make a provision for hunting with such "projectiles" if they have an ordinance of that type.

@Brad71x did any officials point you to a city ordinance?
No they have not told me of any ordinance, I asked for a copy of said ordinance but have gotten no reply. The field I am hunting is a 32 acre field right across from city hall, not sure if that has any affect on the situation or not.