Hunting in Ashe county

Statehunter

Button Buck
I just can access to a 4.5 acre piece of property in Ashe county. It backs up to the power line clear cut, there’s lots of hills and wood. I know there have been deer and turkey killed in the land before but I have never turkey hunted. Just looking for some advice

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Will do. How much land do people usually like to have permission to have to turkey hunt?
I personally don't mess with anything under thousand acres I can hunt that by myself in day after scouting of course. But I hint public and I absolutely hate hunting birds across property lines. If it were private I could see 500 acres being enough. Like QBD2 said you could kill one off it but it'd just be a deer hunt. Personally I'd go to Pisgah instead you go and nothing around you just wasted precious mornings coulda found a bird.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If a place in the right spot you can get away with smaller acerages, I hunt a 53ac private tract that has made for some great turkey hunts but I generally prefer large pieces of property to really go after them. Several hundred is good ,1000+ is better .... I hunt a lot of public land though like turkey foot

Statehunter

Button Buck
A few years back I shot one that ran a 100 yards or so... had to track down all kinds of people to get permission to track it on their land. Let’s say I spend a lot more time shooting before the season starts now

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Will do. How much land do people usually like to have permission to have to turkey hunt?
old sayin;
you can never have too much land to turkey hunt .
we all would like unlimited access to piles of habitat.
being limited to 4.f acres is more of a curse, a "first day in hell" scenario for a turkey hunter.
that being said i have sat from dawn to dark on an opening, hoping one would show. I just hope i never have to repeat that.

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
It all depends on if there's turkeys there because you for sure won't be able to move to get to them. That being said the best place I've ever hunted was a 20 acre cow pasture that was a half mile from any road and in the middle of big woods. You don't have to have hundreds of acres to kill one