Hunting coyotes on gameland

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I've read the regs but not sure I quite understand bc the way it's worded. One says you can hunt coyotes from 1/2 hr before sunrise to 1/2 hr after sunset but another says it has to be during any open season. I'm in central NC so the red wolf stuff doesn't affect me. Can you go hunt gamelands whenever for coyotes or does there have to be some other season opened at the time? Sorry if this is a dumb question but figured someone here would know

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I hate doing this but it is better than someone not knowing or getting the wrong information.
You will find this information on page 82 of your regulations digest:
  • Coyote hunting on game lands in Beaufort, Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell and Washington counties is limited to permit hunts administered through the Permit Hunting Opportunities Program. Elsewhere on game lands, from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset, coyotes may be taken by properly licensed hunters during any open season for taking game animals and game birds using weapons that are lawful for the open game animal or game bird seasons.
  • From one-half hour after sunset until one-half hour before sunrise, hunting feral swine and coyotes on game lands is limited to permit hunts administered through the Permit Hunting Opportunities Program.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I hate doing this but it is better than someone not knowing or getting the wrong information.
You will find this information on page 82 of your regulations digest:
  • Coyote hunting on game lands in Beaufort, Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell and Washington counties is limited to permit hunts administered through the Permit Hunting Opportunities Program. Elsewhere on game lands, from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset, coyotes may be taken by properly licensed hunters during any open season for taking game animals and game birds using weapons that are lawful for the open game animal or game bird seasons.
  • From one-half hour after sunset until one-half hour before sunrise, hunting feral swine and coyotes on game lands is limited to permit hunts administered through the Permit Hunting Opportunities Program.
I read that prior to posting but it's confusing. Does that mean I can only use a shotgun if it's dove season? If there is no game animal season open does that mean I simply can't use gamelands at that time to coyote hunt? Just trying to understand the wording bc I don't want any issues if I get a chance to go. I appreciate the reply

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
That's what it means. If the only season open is dove then you can only use a shotgun, After Sept. 7 you can use a archery equipment. So, unless something else is in season you can not legally take coyotes on game lands. Now, I am not an expert but that is how I read the regulations. If in doubt, it is always best to call Raleigh and ask them or ask for your local game warden''s contact number if you can't find it on their site and give him a call.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
That's what it means. If the only season open is dove then you can only use a shotgun, After Sept. 7 you can use a archery equipment. So, unless something else is in season you can not legally take coyotes on game lands. Now, I am not an expert but that is how I read the regulations. If in doubt, it is always best to call Raleigh and ask them or ask for your local game warden''s contact number if you can't find it on their site and give him a call.
That's how I read it as well but figured I'd pick the brains of those with more gameland experience than I have. I appreciate the insight. Always looking for excuses to get outside and wander around in the woods. Ha

KrisB

Ten Pointer
When in doubt, call your local game warden and ask. We don't always get it right on here and the buck stops at the game warden, not NCH&F, though I do believe lasttombstone is correct. Here is where you can look yours up on the NCWRC website:

Select Enforcement for Division and then choose the district your county is in for Section. A list of names will show up. Call the one who is listed for your county.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
When in doubt, call your local game warden and ask. We don't always get it right on here and the buck stops at the game warden, not NCH&F, though I do believe lasttombstone is correct. Here is where you can look yours up on the NCWRC website:

Select Enforcement for Division and then choose the district your county is in for Section. A list of names will show up. Call the one who is listed for your county.
Excellent! Thank you for that link. Always good to have the local authority.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
You are better off to email someone in Raleigh and then print that off and have it with you. I have been told one thing by a game warden and then something completely different by the people in Raleigh.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I'm with timekiller on that one. Like Homebrew said you can get two different responses from two different wardens. Might even two different responses from the same warden depending on the day of the week or wardens mind set that day. LOL.

I had that issue clarified from Raleigh and printed out the question and response and carry it in my wallet. In this case I was told that it is lawful for me to carry any firearm I own even during bow only hunting season but you cannot use that firearm to shoot a deer for example.

I assume that is in a situation where you might be hunting deer with a bow when a coyote shows up and you can whack it with the rifle. But I'd think it would be difficult to convince a GW unless you had that interpretation in writing. And probably even harder as in a couple of cases I ran across. I didn't have to show the response but I felt more confident just having a copy of it in my wallet. What happened kinda surprised me because half the county knows of my coyote hunting and a bunch offer me bait for my bait pile, deer carcasses, dead calves, goats and even a dead hog.

Was coming home from an all night coyote hunt a couple of times carrying my rifle and other night time necessities. It was during bow and arrow deer season. I had to cross a main highway to get to my house. A car came down the highway proceeded to stop and inform me that rifle season for deer wasn't opened. He was polite about it and accepted my explanation that I wasn't deer hunting that I had been coyote hunting at night.

The other one seemed to want to make an issue of it since I was wearing an orange hat. I tried to explain that I had been hunting coyotes all night. I explained that I own the property I was hunting on and legally did not have to wear blaze orange but seems like some idiots trespass, shoot at movements, noises they might hear and I didn't relish the idea of being shot. So I told him coming and going from the hunt I wear blaze orange. At that point I was thinking he would accept my explanation but his next response didn't sit to well. In fact it raised my blood pressure probably several notches but I was still able to more or less maintain my composure.

Yeah, Yeah a likely excuse I'm calling the game warden. I told him I didn't have to explain anything to him but did so thinking he would understand what I was legally hunting. I told him I have explained to you that I'm legally hunting coyotes at night. I have the game wardens number on speed dial my name is XXXXXX XXXXXXX and tell him your sob story and false accusations. Then I also reminded him that I might consider calling the game warden myself and have him check on you for illegally harassing me for legally coyote hunting at night. I have explained things to you and you still seem to want to make an issue about it. I finally told him be sure to tell the game warden my name because he already knows my name, where I live, has my phone number and is well aware that I do not hunt illegally and that I do legally hunt coyotes at night. I left and went on home. Never heard anything about it and he didn't call the game warden because I asked the game warden if he had gotten a call about me the next time I talked to him.

I don't think I could also carry a rifle because I'm already loaded down most of the time with bow and arrows or crossbow, range finder binocs, two sets of NV binocs, an extra NV scope attachment, flash lights, coveralls, back pack, snacks, drinks etc etc. Like my Mother once told me when she saw me heading out to deer hunt. She said she was thinking of buying me a mule or burro to haul my stuff but when she saw me she started feeling so sorry for the burro she changed her mind. LOL. Now that I think about it she was probably correct. LOL.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I'm with timekiller on that one. Like Homebrew said you can get two different responses from two different wardens. Might even two different responses from the same warden depending on the day of the week or wardens mind set that day. LOL.

I had that issue clarified from Raleigh and printed out the question and response and carry it in my wallet. In this case I was told that it is lawful for me to carry any firearm I own even during bow only hunting season but you cannot use that firearm to shoot a deer for example.

I assume that is in a situation where you might be hunting deer with a bow when a coyote shows up and you can whack it with the rifle. But I'd think it would be difficult to convince a GW unless you had that interpretation in writing. And probably even harder as in a couple of cases I ran across. I didn't have to show the response but I felt more confident just having a copy of it in my wallet. What happened kinda surprised me because half the county knows of my coyote hunting and a bunch offer me bait for my bait pile, deer carcasses, dead calves, goats and even a dead hog.

Was coming home from an all night coyote hunt a couple of times carrying my rifle and other night time necessities. It was during bow and arrow deer season. I had to cross a main highway to get to my house. A car came down the highway proceeded to stop and inform me that rifle season for deer wasn't opened. He was polite about it and accepted my explanation that I wasn't deer hunting that I had been coyote hunting at night.

The other one seemed to want to make an issue of it since I was wearing an orange hat. I tried to explain that I had been hunting coyotes all night. I explained that I own the property I was hunting on and legally did not have to wear blaze orange but seems like some idiots trespass, shoot at movements, noises they might hear and I didn't relish the idea of being shot. So I told him coming and going from the hunt I wear blaze orange. At that point I was thinking he would accept my explanation but his next response didn't sit to well. In fact it raised my blood pressure probably several notches but I was still able to more or less maintain my composure.

Yeah, Yeah a likely excuse I'm calling the game warden. I told him I didn't have to explain anything to him but did so thinking he would understand what I was legally hunting. I told him I have explained to you that I'm legally hunting coyotes at night. I have the game wardens number on speed dial my name is XXXXXX XXXXXXX and tell him your sob story and false accusations. Then I also reminded him that I might consider calling the game warden myself and have him check on you for illegally harassing me for legally coyote hunting at night. I have explained things to you and you still seem to want to make an issue about it. I finally told him be sure to tell the game warden my name because he already knows my name, where I live, has my phone number and is well aware that I do not hunt illegally and that I do legally hunt coyotes at night. I left and went on home. Never heard anything about it and he didn't call the game warden because I asked the game warden if he had gotten a call about me the next time I talked to him.

I don't think I could also carry a rifle because I'm already loaded down most of the time with bow and arrows or crossbow, range finder binocs, two sets of NV binocs, an extra NV scope attachment, flash lights, coveralls, back pack, snacks, drinks etc etc. Like my Mother once told me when she saw me heading out to deer hunt. She said she was thinking of buying me a mule or burro to haul my stuff but when she saw me she started feeling so sorry for the burro she changed her mind. LOL. Now that I think about it she was probably correct. LOL.
That makes alot of sense. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I was talking to my dad about your coyote setup the other day when we went on our lease. We didn't call any in but not bc we didn't try. We see them occasionally on camera and have seen a couple while hunting. They seem to light off at random or when a siren goes off. It sounds like there are a bunch but I know it's hard to tell. Hoping to get some on the ground soon. Thank you for the reply and info

genbud78

Ten Pointer
You are better off to email someone in Raleigh and then print that off and have it with you. I have been told one thing by a game warden and then something completely different by the people in Raleigh.
Good idea! Hard to argue with that, thank you