hunting broadheads

ditchbank

Banned
I disagree. I shot a doe in the shoulder last year with hypodermics and it barely went in here, she ran off with the arrow never to be seen again, not too proud of that but it happened. 30 yards. I am almost certain a tried and true muzzy would have blown through that shoulder. I draw 29", 70#...

Also shot a buck last year, hit him a bit high but the arrow was covered in blood, pass through. The Blade broke on what I think was the bottom of his spine. I have it on video. View attachment 37445

Never did find that deer either. Barely any blood on the ground. Again, the arrow was soaked in blood, not guts, I waited over an hour to go searching, its a small plot of land surrounded by houses. looked that night, next day, few days later, few months later, never did find him..

I understand always wanting to find the next best thing. The broadhead fits into that description to a T. However, at the same time, sometimes you just need to keep things simple. Thats my approach on broadheads anyway. I am not an older hunter either. First broadhead I probably ever owned was a Rage.. shot my first deer in the spine right under my stand with a rage, dropped him, took another shot. The first rage understandably broke, but the second on , a clean double lung on the deer laying on its side, stayed in the deer and broke to pieces also.. those were the original rages.

I'm not reading your whole post, but I read enough in the first few sentences to know you have made some badly placed shots and blamed the head. If you hit TRUE SHOULDER BONE ain't a head made going to totally pass through it especially if you hit the opposing bone also. The shoulder bone isn't that high up most of the shoulder high up is cartilage and all broadheads zip right through that at least my hypos do.

Last edited:

deadhead

Six Pointer
If you wanna shoot a head because you want to destroy bone you should quit bow hunting and just use a rifle.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not reading your whole post, but I read enough in the first few sentences to know you have made some badly placed shots and blamed the head. If you hit TRUE SHOULDER BONE ain't a head made going to totally pass through it especially if you hit the opposing bone also. The shoulder bone isn't that high up most of the shoulder high up is cartilage and all broadheads zip right through that at least my hypos do.

Completely agree. Best broad head in the world will not make up for a bad shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Looking at the Ulmer Edge, How do they work? They push open but is there a cam action to them or something?
It looks like they will just fold back in.

ditchbank

Banned
Looking at the Ulmer Edge, How do they work? They push open but is there a cam action to them or something?
It looks like they will just fold back in.

Great head...I love them also. Killed a few deer with them. Deadly accurate. They have a pin and they swivel/pivot on the pin..it helps reduce friction caused by bone.the only negative is they are very hard to close.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Great head...I love them also. Killed a few deer with them. Deadly accurate. They have a pin and they swivel/pivot on the pin..it helps reduce friction caused by bone.the only negative is they are very hard to close.

So what type of force does it take to open them full? You say they lock open?

ditchbank

Banned
They are held in place by a rubberband about the size of one a orthodontist would use on braces. Not much force at all and once they are open, they don't close. Their blades are tougher than rage but the rage get the win because of mass destruction. Give me your address and I will mail you a ULMER head I haven't used.

Last edited:

BigJoshBagotto

Whatever broadheads you select, practice shooting them and don't assume they fly the same way as your field tips. They make practice blades that you can swap out before a hunt, but bottom line is after all the effort that goes into putting yourself in front of a shot opportunity, it isn't worth blowing it because you made an assumption that field tips and broadheads fly the same. I've made that mistake before and won't make it again. Test and practice just how your setup will be on a hunt.

MyHrly

Six Pointer
I Like to Shoot Last Years Muzzy's to See that My Bow is Still on, (Ruins Targets) to Each there Own but I like My Blades "Always Open" Im Sure Longer Shots and Wind Prefer Mechanicals....Nuff Said! Accuracy is what Truly kills!