Hunter been missing since 1968 remains found

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I wonder how he died? Maybe one of his hunting partners killed him

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
Dang, he must have been in a really remote place. 53 years in the woods until someone walks upon you is crazy.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I hunt and fish alone most of the time and in some very remote locations without phone service and often think about how long it would take someone to find me if something happened to me.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
While a great story and some closure to the family, you really need to sit back and think about todays reporters and how dumbed down they make stories, is it for my benefit or are they dumb?

"He was in the same area where Jones had disappeared half a century ago."

Imagine if you will for a second about this story if he wasn't in the same area where Jones had disappeared - yup still missing

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I hunt and fish alone most of the time and in some very remote locations without phone service and often think about how long it would take someone to find me if something happened to me.
How do you make sure you don't get lost when you are in such remote places? Topo map? Land navigation skills? I would like to know since I am still very much a beginner at being in the woods.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
How do you make sure you don't get lost when you are in such remote places? Topo map? Land navigation skills? I would like to know since I am still very much a beginner at being in the woods.
Simple answer is basic knowledge of your surroundings “xyz River is to the south, highway Xx to the East, Blah blah road loops around from the highway around to the river on the N and W”....... the sun, stars in a most basic way of navigating. Summer the sun rises in the NE, sets in the NW. Winter it rises in the SE and sets in the SW. Adjust accordingly in between.
Compass. Little studying of topo/latest aerials before going in. Listen as well. Not many places you can get lost on the east coast without something to give direction making noise.

Never mind the 7383 other devices and such that can help and side with navigation these days.

Last edited: