Hunt predicament

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I know in the past there have been discussions on cattle and hunting in cow pastures. Well yesterday I decided to go see if I could call a yote on on of the farms I hunt, about 250 acres of pasture and 50 acres of cut-over. I parked my truck and gathered my gear, when I got to where I was going there were cows all over that pasture, so I decided to go back to the truck and try the other side. So I drive up to see if the gate is shut to the other side of the pasture. That's when I should have just left. LOL Cows, young heifers, steer and the BULL where all close to the gate I had to go through them to get to the gate. When you pull up to this gate the corral fence is too your left only a few feet and runs parallel to the vehicle, the truck is up in a corner and you have to back up to turn around.. So, I hop out of the truck and over the gate. Man! The grass is to tall. About that same time I hear clink! clink!. I turn around an see the bull pushing the back of my truck!:eek: Well, he was acting a little pissed and I ain't stupid, so I just walked around the barn and heard something coming, maybe a yote? Nope! Just a huge raccoon. So back to watching the bull. He would not leave the back of my truck, every now and then he would shake his head throwing drool everywhere and then bump the back of the truck or the dog box. He would rub his head shaking it down the top of the tailgate and dog box. It sounded like he was ripping it out of the truck. Dang it! It will be dark soon and you can't see black cows at night worth a durn.:eek: The bull finally walks about 30' away on the opposite side of the truck, so I ease up to the gate. Up and over and in the truck, in record time. ha! ha! The bull is standing where I need to back to turn to go away from him. I did't want to back the other way and turn toward him and he ram the front of the truck. So I was trying to back up as little as possible with out making him think the truck came back with a challenge. To late! He is standing at the back of the truck and he is shaking it pretty good. I thinking dang I wonder what the back of the truck looks like, at the same time I'm glad he's not trying to roll me over. He stops and starts again several times. I shut the truck off, hoping he will leave again. It took about 15 minutes but he did eventually backup again about 30'. I had the truck turned half way around the first time. I started backing toward the bull, got the truck turned and here he came swinging his head. Down to drive and away we went. I recon he figured he won.:D

Lesson learned never park near the bull and especially where he can stand and have you cornered. I don't know how but the truck is fine he must have been pushing on the bumper and the dog box. I know for sure he was pushing on the later. No more hunting in the pastures 'til the bulls go home or all the cows are breed. I'm pretty sure one of those cows I drove through was in heat. I think I got lucky to tell you the truth.

Last edited:

robertfurr530

Sounds like a real interesting night. Forget the thrill evading a bull is it's own thrill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I left a D-6 parked in a pasture years ago, I used to do some grading/clearing on the side. When I went back to it the next time it had blood all over it. I couldn't figure out what in the heck happened to I saw the guys bull. He had a big charolais bull that probably weighed close to a ton and he had broken one of his horns knocking that thing around. I guess it really pissed him off that he couldn't move it. He was covered in blood from his shoulders up. He had some other cuts on his head also when he hit the side of the blade and tracks. That was one fight he lost, funny thing that bull was tame as could be to a human but he hated that machine.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Not cows but I'm terrified of peacocks..,. Your truck wasn't red was it ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EGrdneck

We have 100 cows and three bulls never had an issue maybe they just didnt loke your truck lol ford maybe?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Truck is is a metallic gray. I don't think the bull likes the tail lenses. LOL As for the make I don't think he would have be as intimidated by a Ford, Dodge or Chevy as he was of the Tundra. He would have treated them like the other cows.:p

Dale

only skeered of cows right after they've dropped a calf... had one ole cow gave me a good run one time when I eased up to check out a new born... was a lot younger and more nimble at the time, did a world class high jump over that fence...

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Not normally afraid of them but sometimes you can just tell that bull isn't gonna stand around and take any BULL CRAP.

Couple of years ago I went coyote hunting well before daylight. Parked my vehicle in amongst a herd of cows, got all my "stuff" out and headed across the field where I had to cross a 6 strand barb wire fence. Well mister bull was guarding the cows AND the fence. He did that low growl bellow and kept shaking his head. I didn't like his attitude so I went WAY, WAY around. Got to the fence and realized I had left my shooting sticks leaned up against my pickup. I didn't want to make such a circuitous route back to the truck but when I got close to mister bull he changed my mind. Got back to the truck, got my shooting sticks and decided I already had two strikes against me so I went the long way around.

About noon after I had shot two coyotes I headed back to the truck. Mister bull hadn't moved 30 feet. I crossed the fence and he didn't so much as look my way and I walked straight to my truck. I guess he just didn't like strange objects disturbing his sleep.

I'm wondering if your bull friend wasn't just angry because you drove into his territory and did not bring him any feed/food. I have also seen where we parked in a field with cattle and went ground hog hunting. When we came back they had licked the paint off of the vehicle in several places. My dad told me that they were hungry for salt and could smell the salt from the highways. My brother wasn't to happy with his new paint scheme. LOL.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Too much :donk:donk:donk behind too small a brain as rye says. I've had one break 5 strands of barbed wire to get after me....I aint covered that much ground on two legs that fast before or since