Hunt Lease Available

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Not $1000 but I recently posted here about 150 ac. of 5 year old pine with good edge and drainages for $1600/ac. That's getting pretty close to me. Stuff is out there but you have to be ready to move on it and if it is for a home, be ready to go where ever it is and make the drive.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Just saw a 15 acre tract lease for $2k sight unseen. Amazing what pics of 150 inch deer will do to a man making big money or receiving endless stimulus checks.

Wow , without realizing the odds that deer will even be seen again on that 15 acres.

That type of "hunter" ( very loose use of the term here ) needs to bone up on how whitetail deer use habitat.

Learning about the animal is the really fun part.

Too bad many "hunters" ( there's that term again ) don't take the time to do that.

Southern

Ten Pointer
Not $1000 but I recently posted here about 150 ac. of 5 year old pine with good edge and drainages for $1600/ac. That's getting pretty close to me. Stuff is out there but you have to be ready to move on it and if it is for a home, be ready to go where ever it is and make the drive.
Yeah, I would have probably looked at that hard. I am in North Raleigh (and Southern Pines) and Granville is very attractive to me. If you come across anything else like that drop me a line!

Last edited:

Southern

Ten Pointer
Not to everyone. Although the price was more than I can afford at the moment, it's fair especially when you consider outside websites like Base Camp and Outdoor Access. Plus, although I don't know you personally, I do know others on here that speak highly of you. That's better than reaching out to some random Craigslist guy. Appreciate the "freebie" of the day.
Thanks!

And one thing attractive about this tract is the family has leases in place over 25 years to the same tenants. They prefer long term leases and will do an option to renew long term so kind of a win, win.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Curious, has anyone ever hunted a strictly Longleaf & Loblolly pine plantation w/ no hardwoods or hardwood bottoms. How was the deer harvest? This would probably be a good affordable lease w/ $ split between 3 hunters, if it holds a sizeable deer population.
Longleaf and loblolly pine plantation next to the gameland in Richmond county is gonna be void of any wildlife when deer season is in and the dogs are being used. I have hunted such an area in Scotland County. The market may say the property is worth 22 bucks an acre but I can guarantee you one thing, most of the deer are gonna be nocturnal after the first week the dogs are released .

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good luck finding land for $1,000 an acre
A club I was a member of at the time, would have been 2000 or or 2001, had the opportunity to purchase a tract of land we were leasing for $700 an acre. The members of the club voted against buying it 5-4. The majority wanted to continue to lease it at $5 an acre.

It was a 720 odd acre tract of mostly loblolly with a mixed hardwood swamp of around 75-80 acres and 2 decent ponds on it.

The club lost that tract 3 years later when it sold. That same tract sold for $3.1 million in 2014.

Hindsight and all that.

Southern

Ten Pointer
A club I was a member of at the time, would have been 2000 or or 2001, had the opportunity to purchase a tract of land we were leasing for $700 an acre. The members of the club voted against buying it 5-4. The majority wanted to continue to lease it at $5 an acre.

It was a 720 odd acre tract of mostly loblolly with a mixed hardwood swamp of around 75-80 acres and 2 decent ponds on it.

The club lost that tract 3 years later when it sold. That same tract sold for $3.1 million in 2014.

Hindsight and all that.
Thats enough to make you sick. I have never regretted anything I have bought but regret alot I did not buy and regret everything I ever sold!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thats enough to make you sick. I have never regretted anything I have bought but regret alot I did not buy and regret everything I ever sold!
I forget exactly what the extra cost would have been, but even to 18-19 year old self it seemed like a no brainer.

Outdoorsman252

Four Pointer
Wow , without realizing the odds that deer will even be seen again on that 15 acres.

That type of "hunter" ( very loose use of the term here ) needs to bone up on how whitetail deer use habitat.

Learning about the animal is the really fun part.

Too bad many "hunters" ( there's that term again ) don't take the time to do that.
That's funny cause I've taken at least one nice buck off the same 7 acre parcel for the last 15 years

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I forget exactly what the extra cost would have been, but even to 18-19 year old self it seemed like a no brainer.
One of the smartest guys I’ve ever met bought 4000 acres of land around what is now bay tree lake for near about nothing at the time. Folks called him crazy back then but now they call him and his family rich lmao.

Outdoorsman252

Four Pointer
Its just interesting to me that people accept the price of everything else being 4x what is was 20 years ago but let somebody try to get a market price for hunting land and the owner or the agent then becomes the devil. I guess inflation does not apply to deer hunters.
So you are the agent?

Outdoorsman252

Four Pointer
Most times I catch on pretty quickly and I've learned my lesson, I'll keep my opinion to myself. from this point forward. ..after all, we all have one

Southern

Ten Pointer
No, if I said I was the agent, after saying I was not the agent, that would be a contradiction. What we have, is me making a general statement about people griping about lease prices and blaming owners for wanting market price and for hiring agents, who have a fiduciary responsibility to get their clients the best price.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
And just to clear it up if needed. I have NO dog in the fight with respect to this lease, just thought I would help out some of the guys on this site who have mentioned they were interested in a lease.
Most of us read it like that too.

But there's always those who want the best , but simply don't want to pony up the cash.

For whatever reason decent deer land is getting harder to come by.

That's a fairly reasonable way to see this I think.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
It is the kind of deal it you had 2 other good buddies it could work. Around $1000 each. Not much difference than joining most hunting clubs. Definitely something I would be interested in if I knew 2 other guys. Sadly, most of my hunting pals live 2+ hours away.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
It is the kind of deal it you had 2 other good buddies it could work. Around $1000 each. Not much difference than joining most hunting clubs. Definitely something I would be interested in if I knew 2 other guys. Sadly, most of my hunting pals live 2+ hours away.

Exactly right ! $22 an acre isn't out of reason in today's market. Not at all.

I'm paying $19 an acre in CASWELL county and with insurance , food plots , 2 pallets of corn for the season it's costing right at 4 grand a year to hunt it.

That is divided between 2 guys.

This doesn't count fishing expenses

Doing things outside is often kinda pricey. But oh so worth every single penny.

Time spent outside with family and friends , imho , is priceless.

No sense in arguing about what it costs , no sense in judging others for what they'll pay.

Just go out and have fun. You only get 1 life , enjoy it to the hilt.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
That's a fair price in this day and age. I would pay that for the right piece of land in the right area.

Owner will have zero problem leasing it.

I know of 600 acres that leased for $24K recently. So that's $40/acre.

People getting all these COVID checks are going to be really spending the money and driving lease prices up. Free money, so no harm in paying more than what they normally would.

Southern

Ten Pointer
To update everbody, I have have sent the owner a pile of names and he has already been contacted by many of them. I am going to hold off for now on passing out his name any further unless I hear that it has not been leased so as to not run him completely crazy. For all I know it is spoken for but I will confirm soon.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
I would almost think of spending that on a lease that i would venture to a couple times a year, not that i am flush with cash but i could get a non resident license and try and stack up some venison. Not for trophy potential but for freezer filler and as someone noted, the enjoyment of being outside.
My current property it twice as far as it would take me to get to NC, so literally could do a few long weekends, some archery, turkey and filling up on BBQ each trip

Nushi

Button Buck
Hi folks, new to the forum, but definitely not to the outdoors/hunting/fishing. My family owns this tract and I'm the lucky guy that gets to manage the leases. Mike, thanks for your diligence over the years and the handoff on this. Gonna miss the work you did buddy!

I have replied to everyone that has emailed me. If I missed someone, please shoot me a PM and I'll get right back to you. Thank you!

Last edited: