Hunt breakdown: Killing a big buck right off the road - THP

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I just watched that hunt the other night! It was really fun to watch unfold. They genuinely seem excited, but not a chest thumping, bro show.
Their content is so much better than everything on cable “Outdoor” shows.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Only bad part about that hunt was the recovery. When the other guys came to "help" with the recovery, it gave away their location when the guy in the truck pulled up and stopped to talk.
They made comment that the hub where the ridges all connected had been a good, consistent spot before. Shouldn't have called for help that close to the road and just tagged that buck, shot a little recovery footage and got the heck outta there.
Bet money the dude in the truck will hunt that spot this year...so goes the trials and tribulations of hunting public. But yes, I do like watching their stuff ??

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I had an older gentleman who was a very successful bowhunter in my area tell me once that the very best stand he ever hung and sat on public land was within 30 yards of a gravel FS road. He said he could literally see the vehicles travel up and down the road and see into the beds of most pickup trucks that went by. He told me he found the spot after seeing a couple good bucks cross the road at that spot so he parked and investigated. He found a spot similar to what THP guys say here....a natural funnel of sorts where the bucks wanted to cross.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Only bad part about that hunt was the recovery. When the other guys came to "help" with the recovery, it gave away their location when the guy in the truck pulled up and stopped to talk.
They made comment that the hub where the ridges all connected had been a good, consistent spot before. Shouldn't have called for help that close to the road and just tagged that buck, shot a little recovery footage and got the heck outta there.
Bet money the dude in the truck will hunt that spot this year...so goes the trials and tribulations of hunting public. But yes, I do like watching their stuff ??
Eh, he'd have to be resident for it to matter. The zone they hunt take 3-4 points to draw. Plus most people would give it one hunt, see too many vehicles and not go back.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
yes but they can sure screw it up for folks that do.
and i'm thinking turkeys ; deer on public isnt on my radar.
Yea, turkeys get screwed up more than deer from not knowing how to hunt them/a piece of ground IMO (coming from someone that would probably screw up your turkey hunt since I barely know what I'm doing in regard to them)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yea, turkeys get screwed up more than deer from not knowing how to hunt them/a piece of ground IMO (coming from someone that would probably screw up your turkey hunt since I barely know what I'm doing in regard to them)
well a "ruined" turkey hunt is far easier to salvage than a deer deal.
in fact if you had a perfect attitude the humor value in PL turkey hunting would outweigh the temporary inconvenience.
You see some crazy chit.
I saw just this year a cat roll out in all black ninja apparel; head scarf and all; with a mexican bandit belt shell holder across his shoulder. I would estimate his shotgun O/u value in the thousands.
Glad I was leaving as he was starting. :)

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Haha, yea we talked to a guy once that hen called two younger guys in lol. I haven't had any issues salvaging a deer hunt, whether I bust them out of there while going in or someone else comes by. Stopped worrying about that long ago.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
that is true.
need that morgan freeman pointy thing^ he has a point you know.

139306.jpg

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Eh, he'd have to be resident for it to matter. The zone they hunt take 3-4 points to draw. Plus most people would give it one hunt, see too many vehicles and not go back.
Not after seeing the episode on youtube...he'd say, " damn that's my truck, so that's who I was talking to"....
I bet more than a few people know where that spot is now. ?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
They do sometimes give out a little too much info on their spots. I found the exact spot they hunted in Kentucky on Google earth in about 20 min. They showed some aerial photos on the show, and then they gave away land marks like the river and the fact they were hunting close to private. I pulled up GE and some kentucky public land maps and in a short time, pin pointed their spot!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Not after seeing the episode on youtube...he'd say, " damn that's my truck, so that's who I was talking to"....
I bet more than a few people know where that spot is now. ?
I don’t doubt people could find that spot, I found the Missouri spot where they jumped the big 8 pt two years ago just to see if I could. But like I said, unless him (if he even knows about THP) or someone else is a resident, it’s gonna take them at least 3 years to even be able to hunt it. And I’m telling you, most people are hard headed and give up. I can take one buddy to a spot that is a known producer or sets up great and here comes the questions and throwing in the towel I.e. it’s too thick, it’s too close to the road, it’s too far, why this certain spot and not that one 20 yards away, etc. I know he’s not alone in that thinking.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t doubt people could find that spot, I found the Missouri spot where they jumped the big 8 pt two years ago just to see if I could. But like I said, unless him (if he even knows about THP) or someone else is a resident, it’s gonna take them at least 3 years to even be able to hunt it. And I’m telling you, most people are hard headed and give up. I can take one buddy to a spot that is a known producer or sets up great and here comes the questions and throwing in the towel I.e. it’s too thick, it’s too close to the road, it’s too far, why this certain spot and not that one 20 yards away, etc. I know he’s not alone in that thinking.
Yep, people give up really easy. I took a friend of mine hunting on Jordan Lake once. Set him up on a great spot. It was 50 yds from the main road, but I saw deer every time I sat there. Mostly does, but he just wanted to shoot something. I sat him down at 1530 and told him the deer would start moving through at 1730-1800. When I got back to the truck that evening, he was sulking in the front seat. I asked him "See anything?" He said "Man, that spot is worthless, all those cars going by, no deer going to come through there. I sat until about 1700 and then said screw it and went back to the truck!" Whatever, I went in there 2 days later and had 7 does come through at 1730 and whacked two of them.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
some just have a weakness in the woods. They cant "SEE" what you do in a set.
You are a kind man for tolerating that.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
They do sometimes give out a little too much info on their spots. I found the exact spot they hunted in Kentucky on Google earth in about 20 min. They showed some aerial photos on the show, and then they gave away land marks like the river and the fact they were hunting close to private. I pulled up GE and some kentucky public land maps and in a short time, pin pointed their spot!
I hunted at least 2 of their spots before THP was a twinkle in Warbs eye. I also know exactly where another 3 or 4 are without even trying all that hard.

Public hunting’s rep has been cyclical. Good hunting lead to overcrowding. Overcrowding lead to bad hunting. Bad hunting lead to less hunting. Less hunting lead to good hunting.

But in the information overload age, I don’t know that that cycle isn’t broken for good.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I’ve heard them & other guys that hunt with & know them well, say that they rarely hunt the same spot twice. Especially the spots they show on their scouting tutorials & success footage.And the fact that they’ve already been successful there, so it’s fair game now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
THP is an awesome show. I really liked their Alabama turkey hunt as they filmed that on a WMA I grew up learning and hunting. Those guys are some great hunters but the one thing that I think a lot of folks don’t realize is exactly how much time they put in. The average Joe only has X amount of free time to scout and hunt where as those dudes have a ton of time to do so. Since I hunt almost solely on public ground I’ve come to realize it usually takes about 2 seasons to fully figure out a few jam up spots of public ground. Took me 2 seasons to figure out Uwharrie, and I’m currently on season 2 of figuring out Sumter NF. If I had time like I did in college to hunt then that time would be cut in half. Just getting the time to effectively scout and hunt is half the battle. That goes for both deer and turkeys.

Really enjoy these shows where the guys seem to put in work to kill good deer. I hope they will do another few episodes deer hunting here in the South this season.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
THP is an awesome show. I really liked their Alabama turkey hunt as they filmed that on a WMA I grew up learning and hunting. Those guys are some great hunters but the one thing that I think a lot of folks don’t realize is exactly how much time they put in. The average Joe only has X amount of free time to scout and hunt where as those dudes have a ton of time to do so. Since I hunt almost solely on public ground I’ve come to realize it usually takes about 2 seasons to fully figure out a few jam up spots of public ground. Took me 2 seasons to figure out Uwharrie, and I’m currently on season 2 of figuring out Sumter NF. If I had time like I did in college to hunt then that time would be cut in half. Just getting the time to effectively scout and hunt is half the battle. That goes for both deer and turkeys.

Really enjoy these shows where the guys seem to put in work to kill good deer. I hope they will do another few episodes deer hunting here in the South this season.
Yep, time is definitely the key. I am going to spend some time on a new piece of public land this year. I know this year is going to be real learning experience because I have only had the chance to scout it 3 times this year. But, I will scout/hunt and do run and gun set ups throughout the season. I figure if I can 10-12 hunts on it, that will really help me gain a ton of knowledge and help me the next year. Who knows, might get lucky this year, but my goals are set relatively low for this piece of public ground for the season.

I wish I had the time to scout and hunt like I did in college. I lived just outside of Asheville and as soon class let out every day, I was on the Pisgah NF scouting or hunting. When you spend 100-150 days a year in the woods, even if it's just 2-3 hours at a time, you really learn a ton.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Do these folks hunt deer on public land with antler restrictions? Just wondering

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
When you spend 100-150 days a year in the woods, even if it's just 2-3 hours at a time, you really learn a ton.

bingo,,,,

when folks ask me "how much do you hunt" - I tell them "depends on how you define "hunt",,,,I am in the woods from 30 minutes to 12 hrs almost every day

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Yep. They have tricks for using onX to find promising bedding areas and they mostly hunt those recently. So on day 3 of hunting a parcel they generally know where the bucks bed and have a plan on how to get in there. They could kill a doe almost every time out, but they never do.