Hummingbirds have flown the coop

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I still have 3 up, but haven't seen a bird in probably a week.. Will take them down, clean and put away this weekend if no others come by.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
From what I understand they stay near the coast longer. Here I think they leave when the leaves start dropping. I always tried to associate with a cold front or something like that but from observation, i think it is the leaves.

This year I had more then ever before. At some times there were about 10 of them at a time dive bombing each other at the feeders.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
10-01 is always our trigger to take them in. If left out too long it delays their migratory launch to begin moving. Or so I have read in multiple sources....... They are enjoyable while their here.....

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
10-01 is always our trigger to take them in. If left out too long it delays their migratory launch to begin moving. Or so I have read in multiple sources....... They are enjoyable while their here.....

I've read the opposite, mostly. The birds migrate. As other species of birds do. The food source doesn't keep the birds from migrating.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I noticed the numbers of them decline a few weeks ago here in south central nc so I took my feeders down. The other day I had one buzzing the remaining tomatoes hanging on the dried up vines

todobien

Eight Pointer
I had one yesterday. Friend in Buxton said they were covered up with ones riding that weather system.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We usually have a few that over winter, so we try to have one feeder up all winter.
We've had hummingbirds hitting the feeder with snow on the ground.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
We haven't seen one since Sunday morning, wife said she would probably take down the feeders Saturday. Sure gonna miss seeing them.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
We don't have many of those. The martins stayed a long time this year. Last night we noticed the bats were busy.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw our last hummer here in Warren county on 5 October. I'll be taking down the last feeder after the cold front passes this weekend.