HSM Ammo

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a box of HSM 243 ammo. It’s 95 grain Berger HPBT Hunting VLD. I’ve never shoot these and don’t recall seeing them in a store. What’s the word on them?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Berger bullets are known for their high BC's, being very concentric and having a jacket design that lends itself to bullet disruption at loooong range.

A disproportionate number of long-range hunters (800 yards plus) use Berger bullets. Traditional jacket design and construction just isn't as reliable or predictable at these extreme ranges.

justhunt

Six Pointer
Contributor
I’ve loaded and used Berger VLDs in several different calibers for many years. Hunting VLDs were designed to enter an animal 2 to 3 inches then rapidly expand causing massive external damage. They have became very popular with western long range big game hunters over the years because of there terminal performance on elk. Here’s my take on them.

They are the most accurate bullet I have ever shot. I’ve had rifles that I could not get to shoot tight groups with a dozen different projectiles, but a sub MOA load was pretty easy to get with VLDs.

Myself and several of my buddy’s have been using VLDs fo a long time to hunt with. We have shot elk, moose, caribou, whitetails, hogs and black bear with great results. That being said, I have also seen them not perform so well on NC sized deer. VLDs have to hit something fairly dense at a high velocity for them to start the expansion process, and they perform better out of magnum calibers. If you’re going to shoot a broadside whitetail with them, aim for a high shoulder shot, the deer will hit the ground and not even twitch. If you put it behind the shoulder, you may have a small entrance and exit with very little blood trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The boy I got them from with a rifle said he got them to shoot totes with.

If someone wants them, I’ll sell them I have several boxes of Fusion to use.