How was your season???

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
On a scale of 1 being horrible and 10 being Great, how would you rate your season?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’d have to say 8+. We heard birds every hunt, usually multiple birds. I called 5 birds into range, but we only managed to kill 2 of them. One that hung up at 58 yards I killed on the opener and my son killed his first at 12 yards. My Dad missed 2. Yesterday my son couldn’t get a shot at one at 25, and I shot at him directly behind me as he was putting and weaving at 45 and completely whiffed. Never even broke stride.

We certainly could have done better on punching tags(a little surprised and disappointed about that), but we had a great season full of encounters. FWIW, all 3 misses could be attributed to some tough shots taken after trying to get a youth the easy shot.

We had 4 gobblers gobbling at once on the last day, so we definitely left some for next year.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'd have give mine 10 finally got my disabled buddy first long beard on opening day my season was made from there no matter what else happen. Did have some tough hunting weather and just plain luck that left a northern bird walking I'd like to have had still got one there though that put on show and heard lots gobbling in both states I hunted. Killed one in NC opening week in county had never stepped foot in that was fun then saved my last NC tag for permit hunt I had killed one there first day its 3rd time I've drew that permit ever its some nice flat land hunting which is nice break from mtns I hunt amazing how much more ground I can cover which paid off. Had awesome trip with good friend which always makes for better season. Few pics from spring. Looking back best pic woulda been be falling in that ice cold mtn stream at 0515 in morning luckily it was to dark when I went down only thing above water was right arm and gun.

Attachments

• 0503191754b.jpg
    0503191754b.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 0509191037.jpg
    0509191037.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 0504191612a.jpg
    0504191612a.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 0503191756.jpg
    0503191756.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 55

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
That front porch came in real handy for all that rain we got met some nice people and new hunting contacts. Now waiting on next spring looks like Michigan and Illinois are on the menu for then time check off few more states from my board

Attachments

• 0504191613.jpg
    0504191613.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 0418190735d_Burst01.jpg
    0418190735d_Burst01.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 0430190738a.jpg
    0430190738a.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 0430190742.jpg
    0430190742.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 39

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'd say about a 3. I was happy to have used a tag on one great hunt, but that was the only longbeard I had in range all season. Too many days I heard and saw nothing at places that are usually above average. Peak of the season I should have been hearing a lot of gobbling activity & instead heard nothing.
It was puzzling and disappointing.

Jim

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Worst season up at the Rock since 2014.
Best season here in Harnett county for me since season came in 1998.
I like to hunt Saturdays up to 1 or 2 pm in Rockingham county and only hunt Sunday mornings till 9am here in Harnett county. So with out Harnett my season would have been a 1.
Last year I think I gave myself a 7 and didn't kill a bird one but I heard more gobbling and was in on many hunts.
Since I tagged out here in Harnett, I guess i mustered a 7 again.

Attachments

• 20190421_070251.jpg
    20190421_070251.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190414_092541.jpg
    20190414_092541.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
10 for me. Best season I have ever had. Killed my second double ever, killed my first 2 Virginia birds, killed a bird at a new hunting club, put my brother in law on his first bird, put my wife on her second bird and carried a little boy with Outdoors at Last for his first bird.

2 morning I did not hear gobbling on the roost. Called in multiple birds the first 4 mornings I went hunting. Killed 1 afternoon bird this year (called in a double for my brother in law and I on opening day) and 3 birds straight off the roost. Was on 8 kills and hunted 10 days. Was very fortunate to have all these experiences with family and friends.
f14c31ba0e2ac392ae30e5ff1fdf4f36.jpg
aa5f54b32419e95a3d2533bbd27c167c.jpg
b0edfcf6dfada3d18f165814bc503380.jpg
4ed780177c7f1176a10069829e4ad84f.jpg
9f0948ec3ecd90c688e833d80098a63d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
1. And 10....but I've still got a few days in VA.

Put 5 longbeards under the gun. Lost one in the river, missed another, and had to watch one wonder why his buddy wouldn't get up. Spooked a couple more that were coming/there.

Basically I heard a bunch of turkeys, and screwed up a bunch of turkey hunts lol!

I will say, I didn't hear a bird past 8am until 5/10.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I'd give it a 10. As much as I'd like to have gotten a gobbler, I've been lucky enough to meet mentors who have emphasized the love of hunting and getting outdoors rather than killing a turkey. We were told at the GSO: Turkey Hunting Workshop that turkey hunting is a journey and killing a turkey is not the true measure of success or a destination. It's all just part of the journey. I tried to keep that in mind every time I was fortunate enough to go with someone into the woods to chase turkeys this season, which was my first hunting season ever.

I really loved every minute I got to be out in the woods under the stars or seeing and hearing the forest wake up as it got to be daylight and hearing whipoorwills in the early morning and all that. I will never forget that stuff. Big thank you to Woodmoose for taking me along on some hunts and to Zac and Connor from the NWTF for taking me on my first ever turkey hunt! I had a blast!

Datrip

Six Pointer
I would give it a 10.....
I killed my second Osceola back in March on public land at 20yds.
I killed on opening day here in NC, that has never happened before and my first with a 410.
I got to travel to the Midwest with a close buddy and witnessed him smacking his first Rio. I didn't get to pull the trigger, but seeing my friend do so made the trip all worthwhile.
Of course I did not get to spend as many days in the woods as I would have liked, do we ever? Unfortunately, I did not tag out.....but it was not from lack of effort. Ready for 2020.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
A 2 and that’s being generous! Bad weather and shut mouthed birds. Went to KY and heard maybe 5 birds gobble in 3 days, all a long ways off. We didn’t kill but about half of what we normally kill in Caswell and not a single bird off 1000 acres in KY. We had one guy hunt the whole season in KY and never got on a hot one.

Glad it’s over. On a positive note saw about 30 deer on KY lease including a few big bodied bucks that already had some big ol based on em.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Id have to rate my NC hunting season at a 3, most pitiful hunting Ive ever experienced. Went out of state to get to better hunting.
Always rate our road trips at a solid 10. Hunting with a great friend and making new out of state friends is hard to beat. Good food and fine liquor during the evening planing sessions is just icing on the cake.
Already planning for 2020 in Michigan and Illinois makes the time pass by faster until next March.
E17BB779-4332-4C93-9A4C-3A53BF3CF2B4.jpegABA85395-771A-4AEB-8B00-90A081929F8D.jpeg09129F72-51B2-4B54-AC37-AA73161CAD55.jpeg

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Definitely a 10.. my best season ever. Tagged out in NC, VA, and killed a Merriam on my 1st mid west trip under some really bad weather conditions!

Most of all, it was the 1st turkey season hunting with my 6 year old daughter. She loves it!

I hunted a total of 18 days in 3 different states and saw birds every time except on the Youth opener.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
No complaints , called in a few for friends and my nephew both missed and had another not know he couldn’t move LOL. I got mine and had a good time with friends and family just being out there and enjoying gods country is a 10 in my book , time to prep and do work around the lease and prepare for the four legged critters

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I still have a VA tag and a hunt or two left, but so far I couldn't ask for much more. I'll rate it a 10. Had many great hunts, both solo as well as with others, and etched many sweet memories into my mind to reflect back on.

The actual hunts are so brief, but thank goodness the memories of the hunts allow us to play them back over and over in our minds, to enjoy again and again.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
one week left in va but any success there would just be icing on the cake.
Three hunts with my daughter , two of those full of action was the highlight by far.
4 kills, two each in Sc and NC were a welcomed blessing.
The birds I have been around this year have been very responsive to the calls and that's why I hunt them.
10 of 10 for me.

va is a challenge and I botched a permit application for iowa But that even worked out well. I was going to have to miss Mother's day to hunt Iowa and yesterday was too much fun to miss. :)
Great thread Jug,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Id have to rate my NC hunting season at a 3, most pitiful hunting Ive ever experienced. Went out of state to get to better hunting.
Always rate our road trips at a solid 10. Hunting with a great friend and making new out of state friends is hard to beat. Good food and fine liquor during the evening planing sessions is just icing on the cake.
Already planning for 2020 in Michigan and Illinois makes the time pass by faster until next March.
View attachment 28475View attachment 28476View attachment 28477
Fine liquor is right I believe you toasted everything from the kills to a crow hollering to a squirrel squawking?. Can not wait to hit road again

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
9. Tagged out the first week. One private, one public. Got some good hunts on video. Was able to keep hunting by taking friends. The only thing that would have made it a 10 would be to see my daughter get her first bird or one of my friends get his first. 4 weeks is not enough. I've got to head out of state next year.

I think the most depressing thing I do in a given year is pack up my turkey hunting gear at the end of the season.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Excellent season! :mosh:

I bagged exactly the number I intended to bag -> One! :)

After turkey hunting for 42 years in several states, my dreams of flopping turkeys have dimmed. I admire the critters and love to interact with them but taking them home is no longer that important.

That said, I do still enjoy hunting with a partner and helping them to bag a bird. Nothing like getting that 1st or 2nd turkey to enhance ones appreciation for the sport! ?

DCD77

Four Pointer
10+! My son got his first bird and it was also the first killed on our family farm. My dad and granddaddy bought it with every penny they had in the 50’s. We have had a few turkeys around but never felt we had enough to kill one until this year. Just wish my dad was around to see it. Chasing turkeys was a passion for him.