How was your deer season

Mopar forever

Four Pointer
I had a great season ( by my standards) started off with a popular tree during muzzleloader 😂 nothing at all for bow season ( that’s normal for me tho) then drawed a shotgun hunt at Latta plantation.. passed on small bucks. Opening morning of gun season on game land 6 mins into legal shot a nice 8 that I had been bow hunting at 10 yards. A few days later had another chance at a even bigger buck but couldn’t get a shot (wayyy to thick). Killed a doe at the house and finished up season over in Polk co and got on a big buck for next year over there. Over all I had another amazing season learning valuable information for the next year. I swear every year I have more fun than the last !! I get to hunt a lot and it hurts to see another season go2D42A14B-F9CE-4934-81F1-41BA3DED87DD.jpeg

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Hunted less than usual after feeling burnt out by the end of last year, purposely tried to get out on the best days/best wind. Missed a giant during NC muzzleloader season. October doe rifle season in WV was pretty slow. I was lucky to get a spike on public land opening day of NC rifle season, and a big nanny on our last day in WV the Saturday after thanksgiving. Hunted a few more times in NC in December but no luck. Was hoping to get a decent buck this year but I can’t complain, I had a lot of fun, tried some new stuff, and still managed to fill the freezer.

This year I’m hoping to burn some of my preference points in Wyoming (have 5 each for antelope, mulies and elk) or take a trip for some DIY late season muzzleloader whitetails on top of my regular hunting in NC and WV.

Bollweevil

Eight Pointer
I had a great year and killed bucks in 3 states! I killed a 17" 8 pointer with the bow and then a 18.5" 11 pointer with the muzzleloader in NC. After that, I went on our Iowa draw bow hunt and killed a 17.5" 8 pointer. Then, Virginia season opened up, and I killed a small 7 pointer dog hunting. I ended up killing a couple of button bucks dog hunting (that I shot for does) and another doe with the bow in NC. To top that off, my 4 year old daughter killed a 7 pointer on her very first deer hunt with a .243! Overall, it was a year to remember! 210924-1 8 Pointer.jpg211003-2 11 Pointer.jpg211110 - 8 pointer Iowa.jpg211217-Rachel's 7 pointer.jpg

Last edited:

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
Start of season was a comedy of errors. Got a bow in the off season from one of the members here and was really anticipating getting to fling an arrow or four early in the season. Practiced a lot until archery opened here in September. Managed to get one of my target does in range and stood to draw on her. About halfway through the draw I hear something hit the ground under my tree and all the deer spook. Note to self, put your phone in your pocket, not on your lap if you are going to stand to draw. Needless to say, that setup was burned for that doe group. Didn’t get another opportunity until muzzleloader on the same old, ragged doe. Muzzleloader misfired (still trying to figure out how as it’s clean as a whistle and hasn’t done that before) and needless to say her and her running mates weren’t to be seen again the rest of the season.
Once gun season came in the bad mojo was gone. Killed a decent 8 and button head (mistakenly) early on and saw a good number of deer during and after the rut, just nothing worth Pulling the trigger on. Saw a number of deer on public here in SC too, just none of them big enough to warrant the drag. Went to Alabama last weekend to camp and hunt on public with a bunch of old college buddies. Killed a small buck the second day into the trip and we had a blast just getting to hang out. That rounded out what I needed for the freezer. Overall it was a great season. No wall hangers but tons of good memories. The only thing I regret about this year was not having more time to hunt.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Less productive than usual, and more rewarding than most! Made the switch to traditional archery equipment this year after about a year and a half of practice.

Archery season was slow in the woods and slammed at work, had a couple of opportunities within compound range but outside of my recurve range. Boogered up my only real opportunity during (SEP/OCT) at a mature animal by turning my head slowly at the wrong time. A little discouraging as I have been fortunate enough to be tagged out in OCT the past few years...but I didn't adapt enough to the changes in our area this year.

Had a friend fly in from Key West to hunt the last few days of ML and first few days of rifle with myself and my best buddy. Afternoon #1 I made a shift and was able to take my first animal with the stick and string. While I've shot bigger deer, none was more rewarding than this one. Afternoon #2 I sat with my buddy in a box stand when he was able to take his first ever racked buck. Smiles all around!!! Finished out deer camp chasing a couple of studs but no luck.

Spent late season closer to home hunting with my 8yo and running the hills solo across the border on public in VA. Took advantage of the warm weather in DEC to get after a bear in VA. Was able to get to 40yds, but not close enough for the recurve. Incredibly exciting nonetheless!

Great season so far, and I have a little time during Urban Archery season to add some meat to the freezer.

Recurve_2021.PNG

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer
Got my first bow kill which was also my first buck. 913am on 12/7 shot him at 15yds double lung, ran about 150 yds I would say. I saw quite a few deer this year on public and private. My buck was on private. Everything stayed out of range up to that point in the season. That morning of 12/7 was an amazing morning, I saw about 15 deer and even called in a smaller buck, but he bolted once another buck came crashing through running from a coyote. I attatched a picture of my bow kill. Congrats to everyone else on their seasons.

Attachments

• 7pt down_NChuntfish.jpg
    7pt down_NChuntfish.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 23

DeerManager

Eight Pointer
One of the best seasons I have had in many years. The season was made great when I harvested the buck I was after on November 13. I would have been content with that, however I was blessed with another buck harvest the evening of Thanksgiving day ( I don't think I shared that story with you all), at the least I will post it in the harvest forum. Later in the season I did lay a down a doe.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm going to say my season was overall good.

Opening day, my youngest shot a decent 8 that I was shaking my head as he pulled the trigger because I knew he had missed. To my surprise, he made a decent shot and the deer only went about 40 yards. We were able to drive the truck down to where he was in the woods. Better than before on this power line.

I shot a doe on Daddy's birthday using his old 30-30. 1st deer I killed with one of his guns since he passed. Mission accomplished!!! Tried a couple of times before but missed or made a rushed shot.

1st week of December, my oldest son shot a good solid deer hunting by himself. 1st deer that he has shot by himself, so that was good. The excitement in his voice was awesome. Nice horns and most folks around home would have shot him, I just wished he was wider, deer was only 11 inches wide.

That made the season a success.

What I discovered, I don't know how to hunt, and I have gotten lazy. We have became box stand hunters. I grew up a dog hunter and then family issued drove me to this. Go sit in box and leave when ready. No hunting, just watching and waiting. I plan to change that in 2022.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Killed two good bucks, one being a targeted deer. I still count this season as crappy. I’m just not as big on horns as I am encounters. I saw two does the entire season. Had one good day with my daughter but I missed a buck at 50yds and was seen trying to track him by an absolute giant. No knowing what happened since everything was good I thought. Seated, rested on a shooting stick, and a calm deer etc. Got him at 50ish yards about a week later. Didn’t have my girl so it wasn’t as nice. Had one other encounter that wasn’t from 0930-1230 on a Sunday. He got a bullet too. Otherwise, I saw many more coyotes than deer. Probably about 4-5 times as many. I bet I didn’t see 20 squirrels total.

Reactions: jug

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
2nd year in a row I didn't step foot in the woods. Hopefully next year will be different.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Season was good. Filled the freezer, saw a LOT of deer, more than usual. Passed on one of my targets late in the season and he made it thru. Moved stands and have a couple more to move on the lease. Gonna hunt more early next season during bow and muzzleloader (if I can find primers and powder) seasons. May rejoin a dog club I was in a few years ago. Miss the running but I will not get dogs.

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
I killed the one I was after the 2nd time I went. A 144 & change 11pt. Ranks #5 on my list, should have let him go another year. I was a little disappointed. My wife said, they're never big enough for you.

Hunting a new piece of land. Lots of good deer on camera. Working on finding the movement patterns. Harvested 3 (2 does and 1 small buck) and my son got 1 doe on the last day of the season. Great season all in all. Looking forward to patterning mature bucks a little better next year.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a fine season all things considered. I hunt for mature deer and took an older buck with my muzzleloader- nothing too special antler wise but a big heavy body. He was a buck that I had pictures of during the 2020 season and was in his "going downhill" phase of life. A week later with my rifle I took my second buck, a mature 9 point which was a very good buck for the area that I hunted. I knew of a very mature doe on another property but since we did not need the meat I couldn't justify taking her..... maybe next season.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
We had a good season. Everyone I hunt with did well. We hunt SC but didn't go until late Oct. or early Nov. Had no desire to go when it's 75. Shot 2 deer in the span of 2 weeks. Could have shot a few more does but kept thinking ole Tall Boy would show his gnarly rack. Another guy got a glimpse of him once during the season but he never presented a shot. They are supposed to log the closest 3rd of the property which is where we mainly hunt. Sad and excited for next year and either hunting the new cutover or moving some stands deeper in. Amazing how fast the year went by.....

Mattyice1987

Four Pointer
I don’t think I could of dreamed up a better season, every year after this one I feel will be on some level a disappointment, I killed the biggest buck of my life, and the third biggest who by happenstance I saw a week earlier around 3 miles from where I killed him, my ole lady killed her first and second bucks, and my
Stepson killed his biggest, I saw a lot of good bucks and killed the biggest coyote I’ve ever seen, i made alot of great memories with those I love, I feel blessed beyond measure.

NateE70481

Button Buck
I had a great season ( by my standards) started off with a popular tree during muzzleloader 😂 nothing at all for bow season ( that’s normal for me tho) then drawed a shotgun hunt at Latta plantation.. passed on small bucks. Opening morning of gun season on game land 6 mins into legal shot a nice 8 that I had been bow hunting at 10 yards. A few days later had another chance at a even bigger buck but couldn’t get a shot (wayyy to thick). Killed a doe at the house and finished up season over in Polk co and got on a big buck for next year over there. Over all I had another amazing season learning valuable information for the next year. I swear every year I have more fun than the last !! I get to hunt a lot and it hurts to see another season goView attachment 83609
Gotta ask. Where you hunting at Latta to pass small bucks. Buddy and I drew Latta this year. Hunted the cut over last time passed a small 4 pt. Curious where you were set up. Maybe they survived the season. Thanks

Mopar forever

Four Pointer
Gotta ask. Where you hunting at Latta to pass small bucks. Buddy and I drew Latta this year. Hunted the cut over last time passed a small 4 pt. Curious where you were set up. Maybe they survived the season. Thanks
I hunted up front last year and know that a spike was killed that I saw. What hunt did y’all draw this year ?