Tutorial How to use the forum Media Center to post pics etc.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The new forum has a variety of ways to post and share various sources of media, including pictures, video and audio files. You can upload these directly from your computer or you can embed them from sources online.

In this thread I will be giving you some pointers on how to get the most out of the Media Center. If you are a frequent poster of pictures or videos, it can really save some time and effort.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
First, you access the media center by clicking the Media button on the top navbar.

media.jpg

Once you do that, a screen will appear showing you all of the media files you have permission to view. You can filter this list of files by using the "filters" drop down button on the right top side of the screen.

filter.jpg

You can filter by media type (Image, audio, video, or embeds) and/or by media owner (Tipmoose, moose, etc). Embeds are media that are hosted online and embedded here. For instance, a youtube video.

filter2.jpg

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you want to upload media or embed media from the web, just click the Add Media button in the upper right. It will present you with a list of categories you can post to depending on the subject matter you are posting.

media2.jpg

Pay special attention to the two at the bottom. You may not see the second option if you don't already have an existing album to post to.

You can create multiple personal albums to hold your media. You can specify who can view the album and the pictures in it. It will default to "Album owner only', but you can change that to Everyone, Registered Users, or Selected Users.

album.jpg

If you choose to upload a file it will allow you to browse to appropriate file types on your computer and upload them. If you choose Embed media, you will be asked to provide a url to the media you want to embed. A list of acceptable embeddable media sources will be displayed.

embed.jpg

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So...now that you've got your media uploaded or embedded, what can you do with it. Well, first, the Media Center provides a central location for people to view, rate and comment on individual pics or video. Just click on one and it will open and allow you to comment or rate it. If you don't want people to see your stuff, just upload your pics to your albums and set the permissions to only yourself can view.

You can also link these media files and embeds quickly into forum posts. You can even embed an entire album into a post at one time.

To do that, open the post where you want to insert your saved media center files/embeds. Then click the "Gallery Embed" option (looks like a camera).

gallery.jpg

You will be presented with a list of media you can embed into the post. You can choose to embed your media or your albums, or other's media or other's albums. Click each of the options to see what you can choose.

gallery2.jpg

The post below this one shows what happens when one or more items are selected for embedding.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have an issue with posting photos from my iPhone. I'm accessing NCH&F through the internet using Safari. If I try to post a photo saved on my phone, it rotates the photo 90 degrees. I don't have an issue on my computer. I don't have an issue on my phone if I'm adding a photo by taking one instead of using a saved one. Once the photo is in my draft post, I can't find any option to rotate it 90 degrees so it is properly oriented.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I have an issue with posting photos from my iPhone. I'm accessing NCH&F through the internet using Safari. If I try to post a photo saved on my phone, it rotates the photo 90 degrees. I don't have an issue on my computer. I don't have an issue on my phone if I'm adding a photo by taking one instead of using a saved one. Once the photo is in my draft post, I can't find any option to rotate it 90 degrees so it is properly oriented.
Same for me. it only rotates portrait pics from my iPhone. Landscapes are fine.
That’s why you guys only see landscape orientation pics from me. I never could figure out how to post a portrait orientation.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Let me look into this...normally folks don't go through the media center when uploading files directly from their phone. That is only used when they want to have albums stored locally.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Actually, I don't go through the media center. I just thought this was a good thread to post my issue. Normally I just click on the mountain looking icon where it says "Insert image" and then click in the box to find the saved photo. I have not tested it but it is probably like appmtnhntr writes that this occurs with photos taken in portrait orientation.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Safari don’t work for me and posting pictures- use firefox

but it has same issue with orientation on some pictures - i edit them, rotate 45 degrees, save, then rotate back to normal and save - then they upload correctly

I’m gonna investigate that portrait vs landscape that @appmtnhntr mentioned

i just attribute it to my old phone

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Safari don’t work for me and posting pictures- use firefox

but it has same issue with orientation on some pictures - i edit them, rotate 45 degrees, save, then rotate back to normal and save - then they upload correctly

I’m gonna investigate that portrait vs landscape that @appmtnhntr mentioned

i just attribute it to my old phone
FYI, I tried this trick.
it works!!!

I have to save as a duplicate pic, rotate 90*, save it, then rotate 90* back and save again.
FINALLY I can post some portraits!