How to keep deer around with dogs?

bigfish

Four Pointer
I have roughly 10 acres with plenty of deer but I also have 3 dogs one being a coonhound so she naturally wants to run anything that comes around the house. I’m surrounded by 100 acres of mostly cutover and oaks and mostly creek bottom , what would be a good way to bring them around other than night time? Something other than keeping my dogs caged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you're letting them run, you gotta do something with the dogs. Invisible fence would be my choice if you're not going to kennel them. Keep them on a couple acres around the house.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Stop the dogs from running deer and the deer will pay absolutely no attention to them. I have 7 dogs kenneled here, and one running loose. Of the 8 dogs only 4 run deer and they are deer dogs so they are not allowed out here.

The one that is out is a retired bear/lion dog and she could care absolutely less about a deer. I have deer in my yard almost daily when mast is falling. If the wind is right the dogs that are deer dogs will set up a fuss when they wind them but they can't see them when the deer are on the opposite side of my house and the deer pay them absolutely no attention. When they have eaten all the mast from the trees on the side away from the kennels I have seen them come to the side of the yard where the kennel is the dogs that run them will be going nuts. The deer will be cautiously watching them while feeding from around 50 yds but don't run off. If my dog that runs loose happens to be in the area they are in I have seen them let her get as close as 30 yds before they run. But these are deer that are not normally ran by dogs but I am sure that at some point and time that some canine has ran them all.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Stop the dogs from running deer and the deer will pay absolutely no attention to them. I have 7 dogs kenneled here, and one running loose. Of the 8 dogs only 4 run deer and they are deer dogs so they are not allowed out here.

The one that is out is a retired bear/lion dog and she could care absolutely less about a deer. I have deer in my yard almost daily when mast is falling. If the wind is right the dogs that are deer dogs will set up a fuss when they wind them but they can't see them when the deer are on the opposite side of my house and the deer pay them absolutely no attention. When they have eaten all the mast from the trees on the side away from the kennels I have seen them come to the side of the yard where the kennel is the dogs that run them will be going nuts. The deer will be cautiously watching them while feeding from around 50 yds but don't run off. If my dog that runs loose happens to be in the area they are in I have seen them let her get as close as 30 yds before they run. But these are deer that are not normally ran by dogs but I am sure that at some point and time that some canine has ran them all.

I used to have over 60 deer and fox dogs. Have had deer tracks 10 yards from pen. They get used to them and know when the dogs can't get to them. Either stop the dog from running the deer or you are gonna have to shut up the dog.

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Deer are not dumb. They have a 100 acres of cutovers, oaks, and creek bottoms so why would they want to be in your 10 acres during daylight? Dogs don't help make that happen.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
A friend has dogs on the yard that will chase deer, his wife still kills deer on their six acres every year. I have had deer bed in a hay field , at night, within 30 yards of my kennels full of deer dogs. Even when the dogs would smell or see them and go crazy, the deer knew the dogs were penned. Sometimes, I think the deer felt safer there, because the coyotes would not venture quit as close to the kennels. Many a good buck has been killed behind a dog kennel, because it is a "safe" place. Deer get used to the dogs and most go about business as usual unless a dog gets on their scent/trail. I have seen deer on corn still eating when a pack of dogs was full cry within a hundred yards or so running. This was back when we hunted this block several days a week too. I suspect deer treat dogs similar to their cousins, yotes, going about their business until they bump into one. Just another day in the life of a deer.

bigfish

Four Pointer
Thank you all for the advice and I will take it all into consideration. This is my first year living and hunting this property so I’m still leaning their movements and habits. I had plenty of pictures of nice deer this past season but all at night so hopefully this up coming season will be better. Again thank y’all and any other advice is welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk