How to get rid of snake.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
A lot of people put out moth balls for snakes,don't know if it works or if you can stand the smell but it's worth a try. Maybe set off some foggers like you use to rid a place for roaches,that stuff will cheap into all cracks and hidden places. I know it will kill mice if they can't get out maybe it will make the snake come out in the open

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just remembered... A few years ago I made something like a minnow trap out of hardware cloth, and put an egg in it.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I would leave him alone, but if you want him gone, borrow a Jack Russell. They will kill anything that moves, snakes, moles, voles, birds, turtles, frogs, toads, low flying children, you get the idea.

Reactions: RBR

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would leave him alone, but if you want him gone, borrow a Jack Russell. They will kill anything that moves, snakes, moles, voles, birds, turtles, frogs, toads, low flying children, you get the idea.
I was thinking about JR's the other day. I need something that will go up in a muskrat hole and bring them out.

That got me thinking about training a "muskrat dog". I bet more than one pond owner would pay for their services rather than deal with drawn out trapping.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I was thinking about JR's the other day. I need something that will go up in a muskrat hole and bring them out.

That got me thinking about training a "muskrat dog". I bet more than one pond owner would pay for their services rather than deal with drawn out trapping.
Contact the “Mink Man”! I have a “rat” hole problem too but a dozen new 110 conibears and 1.5 leg holds will clean up my problem.

Back to the snake ….I like coot’s bird net suggestion!!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Just remembered... A few years ago I made something like a minnow trap out of hardware cloth, and put an egg in it.
I have one i made just like a big minnow trap. It is about 3 1/2 ft long and maybe 12-15 inches tall. I originally made it for my mother as she has a big black snake in her basement. put and egg in it and caught him in 2 days. then I used it in ADC work.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Best thing to have around is a big King Snake unless you have chickens. They will eat of other poisonous snakes as well as mice.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor

Not sure how much water is involved in what you are considering. Neither of my good working JR's would cross water. Even tracking deer you had to carry em across creeks and canals.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
I have one i made just like a big minnow trap. It is about 3 1/2 ft long and maybe 12-15 inches tall. I originally made it for my mother as she has a big black snake in her basement. put and egg in it and caught him in 2 days. then I used it in ADC work.
I hate minnow traps - unless I remember to keep them open they end up killing more of my lizards than anything else

And in response to my previous suggestion about bird netting -
I am very pro snake, even to the point of leaving the venomous ones alone as long as they aren’t near the house.
However- some pretty good evidence they are tremendously efficient nest destroyers. I was suffering major losses in the quail pens and there was no doubt the culprit (too fat to get out of the pen with the big bump in their belly). Mike Chamberlain, the turkey doc, has also shown some good research they are voracious on turkey nests. Due to their relentless and singleness of focus, once they find a good source (turkey nest) they didnt stop returning until it was all eaten or they had hatch and moved