How to cook a backstrap

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
To each his own. But I'm with dc bigdaddy and Downeast on this one. Gotta cook it. I use a homemade rub, sometimes bacon wrapped, and indirect heat with some pecan wood. Get the internal temp to 140*. Pink and juicy and good, and it ain't raw.
Didn't get any pics once I cut it, there were a few people there and it got gone fast, lol
Snapchat-1002524294.jpg

Snapchat-1872876526.jpg

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah but you're a goober eater....
I must disagree.... it would take a man that puts wet goobers in his mouth to cook a back strap beyond medium rare... and even medium rare is pushing it.

I really don’t understand people that insist on overcooking a back strap..... you put the time and effort into harvesting that deer and then you go and ruin it by cooking the :donk:donk:donk:donk out of it.

SMDH

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I must disagree.... it would take a man that puts wet goobers in his mouth to cook a back strap beyond medium rare... and even medium rare is pushing it.

I really don’t understand people that insist on overcooking a back strap..... you put the time and effort into harvesting that deer and then you go and ruin it by cooking the :donk:donk:donk:donk out of it.

SMDH
I'm not one of those people.... I like medium or medium rare, just not eating it raw. This is perfect to me. Now shake your head all the way back to Virginia. 😘20201126_154335.jpg

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns

SMDH

You are correct. I put the time in and I will cook my back strap the way I want to. Your opinion of ruined doesn’t matter to me, and the way I cook mine shouldn’t matter to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You are correct. I put the time in and I will cook my back strap the way I want to. Your opinion of ruined doesn’t matter to me, and the way I cook mine shouldn’t matter to you.

It doesn’t. I just don’t understand it. It’s your deer, burn it if that’s the way you like it.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Y'all make this stuff look good, but Ive yet to taste any I've really liked.
I apparently don't have a clue what Im doing. If isn't cooked in the crock pot like a roast I can barely eat it.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Looks good. Just shine a bright flashlight on it and it's done.
Joe
Knock the horns off them and if they don't grunt or moo they done.
I like mine twix this and the original. I would err on the side of this. Rare, not raw, but certainly more raw than well.

I'm not even sure what I just said...
Well I hate to say it but you boys is just ruining it 😂
2BF808ED-FC36-4DCB-9AB3-9F822FD9E626.jpeg
Venison carpaccio dressed with some olive oil, capers, my arugula little bit of balsamic and some good shaved Parmesan. The wife loves it this way and this is from a deer I killed two years ago and vacuum sealed. Good as the month it died.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Well I hate to say it but you boys is just ruining it 😂
View attachment 56841
Venison carpaccio dressed with some olive oil, capers, my arugula little bit of balsamic and some good shaved Parmesan. The wife loves it this way and this is from a deer I killed two years ago and vacuum sealed. Good as the month it died.

What'd you use to slice it that thin with ?

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
What'd you use to slice it that thin with ?
i forgot I added fresh cracked pepper too and with the arugula it had some nice kick.
Two methods either one of which works... I used the first one tonight.

1) slice it about1/4- 1/8inch thick when its ice cold ( I use my chefs knife which is razor sharp). Then cut each round loin piece into 4 pieces and pound each of those 4 pieces thin by using a drop or two of olive oil on meat and cover it with a ziplock sandwich storage bag and use a meat mallet or small cast iron skillet. Hit it very flat each time. Olive oil allows the plastic to slip some and keeps the meat from tearing and the ziplocs hold up so much better than plastic wrap. This trick works great for making cutlets too.
2)Freeze it almost solid and use a Commercial meat slicer
I actually have some horseradish I grew and thought about that but seemed like a waste lol. Now on my deer pastrami sammies no doubt! I’m gonna shoot me a doe in the next week or so to make some deer pastrami soon.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, I've got sharp knives. I've got to remember the almost frozen thing....

I thought you had a good slicer and was gonna ask about the brand.
I can see some of that in the near future. (y)

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Yeah, I've got sharp knives. I've got to remember the almost frozen thing....

I thought you had a good slicer and was gonna ask about the brand.
I can see some of that in the near future. (y)
Hobart That about 30 years old but it literally Takes Over an hour to take apart and clean up. I use it for a lot of meat like when I cure about 15 slabs of my bacon.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Y’all fellers that won’t eat that prolly like Chick-fil-A biscuits and seltzer beers don’t ya?!?

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks chick fil a’s breakfast (I don’t care for cfa in general) is nasty.

I will drink a seltzer though

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I need that teriyaki ginger sauce recipe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
LOL well as is usually the case for me I don't do measurements and I usually will make 1/2 gallon at a time but Ill give it guess to get you going...
Sake or Mirin 1/2 cup
roasted garlic 3 cloves or so
brown sugar or raw cane sugar 1 cup
low sodium soy 1/2 c
pickled ginger (like for sushi) 1/4 jar or couple of ozs
honey 3 ozs
corn starch til it thickens 4 tbsp????
water 1/2 c
Add everything into a blender until garlic and ginger is pureed
put in a sauce pot and heat up til sugar dissolves and wine evaps
Add cornstarch to some water and thicken is til its sauce.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
LOL well as is usually the case for me I don't do measurements and I usually will make 1/2 gallon at a time but Ill give it guess to get you going...
Sake or Mirin 1/2 cup
roasted garlic 3 cloves or so
brown sugar or raw cane sugar 1 cup
low sodium soy 1/2 c
pickled ginger (like for sushi) 1/4 jar or couple of ozs
honey 3 ozs
corn starch til it thickens 4 tbsp????
water 1/2 c
Add everything into a blender until garlic and ginger is pureed
put in a sauce pot and heat up til sugar dissolves and wine evaps
Add cornstarch to some water and thicken is til its sauce.

That looks bangin.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I pan fried some tonight like my mama does. Dredged in buttermilk and flour fried fast in a pan of hot canola oil. It was perfect in every way. [emoji3526]

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Deer. 125
Bear. 155
Chicken 155
Pork 155
Beef 125-140

980d45904ba820fff091d89ca8866661.jpg