How often to wax and lube?

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Waxing the string ? After every dozen shots. And especially at the end of the season.

Lube the rail ? At the beginning of each hunt or target session.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I'm no expert but I typically wax every other month or so or when it looks like it needs it (string no longer shiny or smooth looking). I would recommend you asking an actual archery shop if you want the correct answer. I read an article recently that said most people over wax their strings. It said if you wax it too much eventually your string will stop absorbing the wax and the excess wax just attracts dirt and debris.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't wax the strings since they are fully served but I lube the rail every 10-15 shots as needed.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
I was told by the bow smith crowd in Dunn to wax every time I shoot my bow. First flight archery told me that I really didn’t need to wax much at all. They said wax slows down the bow and holds dirt which wears the string out faster. They said to shoot the strings dry And restring.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was told by the bow smith crowd in Dunn to wax every time I shoot my bow. First flight archery told me that I really didn’t need to wax much at all. They said wax slows down the bow and holds dirt which wears the string out faster. They said to shoot the strings dry And restring.

Sounds like good thoughts.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Since the OP asked about a crossbow, Crossbows are a entirely different animal vs a vertical compound. In my opinion the string should be waxed once a month paying attention to NOT waxing the servings(on a mission crossbow the entire string and cable is served and only the y-cables are exposed). But the rail should be lubed every 10 shots or so with the amount of friction created by the string upon releasing the trigger mechanism and sliding down the rail.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I typically wax my string when it appears to be dry and no longer "shiny" or if I see some fuzz developing. I re-lube the barrel rail before I hunt when I get up in the stand to keep from getting junk built up from the walk in or the pulling the x-bow up into the stand. When target shooting I re-lube every 4-5 shots.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I wax the string a few times a season. I also change string and cable every 3 seasons. I shoot quite a bit.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
The manual with my crossbow said every 5 shots or something along those lines. I lube it everytime I shoot it more than a few times

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk