How much do you practice

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
How often do most people practice with your muzzleloader. I’ve been wondering about it. I notice. I shoot mine a few times before season opens. Carry it during season, clean it and then it goes up til the next season. Is anyone periodically practicing through the off season

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
How often do most people practice with your muzzleloader. I’ve been wondering about it. I notice. I shoot mine a few times before season opens. Carry it during season, clean it and then it goes up til the next season. Is anyone periodically practicing through the off season
I’m mostly in the same area myself. I may take mine to the range a few times during the summer , clean them well , and go back a week or so before the season opener just to make sure everything is still good.

Unless I fire at a deer , I’ll hunt with it til rifle opens , the unload it , clean it well , lubricate it for storage , then back in the safe it goes.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
Never with the inline, just make sure it's still on in case I use it.

Shoot the sidelock several times a year.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I keep thinking I’d like to shoot mine on the regular but with primers so tough to find at times. I choose not too. I enjoy shooting my ML. It’s something I enjoy.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mostly when I shoot mine it's at a deer. The next time I shoot it is maybe once or twice just prior to the next deer season, to burn out the oil residue from storage. Some years ago I took it on a mule deer hunt and I shot it a lot prior to that trip since I had to remove the scope but as a rule I don't practice with it. I love to hunt but I don't love to shoot targets. Often wish that I did like shooting more.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I’ll break it out in the summer and knock the dust off. Hot days make sabots suck though. Usually I’ll lob some down range early and on an overcast day. Shoot something else while the barrel cools.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I get my trigger time on a gun that is more convenient to shoot. The only time I need to shoot it is to double check the zero. And since Blackhorn became powdered gold apparently, I'm saving my powder.

venom17

Six Pointer
I usually get to the club 1-2 times a month and shoot a couple of rifles. But the Hawkens, CVA, and my 1858 Rem is always with me.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t. I have a habit of shooting the piss out of new hunting rifles, bows, etc until I learn it. Then I check zero and kill stuff.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Just a few times to check zero before season BUT what’s helped me is keeping the same muzzleloader for many years… many harvests = developed confidence in my weapons ability

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I shoot mine a few times a year but mostly just to check zero or try a new load.

IMO, practicing is really to help you with the fundamentals of shooting and to help you figure out where to hold/dial for different distances and wind. Since I don’t shoot MLs past their MPBR I don’t worry about figuring out holds and whatnot, and I can practice the fundamentals with rifles that are a lot easier to clean

Underhammer

Old Mossy Horns
Enough that occasionally I split the logs I use as a backstop in order to recycle lead....

I usually order powder by the case when I see it reasonable.

And subsequently, I haven't had a good sighting of a deer during ML in years.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just a couple of rounds to check the scope's zero, and verify that the pellets are still good.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
My first day in hades satan will require me to shoot MLs.
I would gladly never shoot another one on earth if they didnt have that special season at just the right time in central NC.
I admire those of you with more diligence.

Haleh

Spike
Probably more than 300 rounds a year. Our club has some shoots, couple of rendezvous a year. It's all practice for deer season. .50 cal. flint with patched roundball and .62 cal. flint smooth bore. Hoping for a smoothbore kill this year.