How much are yall willing to spend?

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
I look at it like this. It's worth it to someone. May not be me or anyone I know but somewhere out there it's worth it to someone.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Anybody here go on vacations? What a waste of money. I have been going to the National Parks out west. Spent thousands of bucks. Do you know how many groceries I could have bought? Can't eat the memories that I have with my family. ?

To broke and not enough time off work to take a vacation. Just don't have enough money or time. Spent all my money on hunting and take 5 weeks off during hunting season. ;) Love too hunt though. :p

klim

Twelve Pointer
About $800 is far is I’ll go but it’s getting harder and harder to pay every year. In the last 2 years I’ve step in the woods 4 times. I have twin 2 year old girls, which one has cerebral palsy and some other health problems so it takes both my wife and I to take care of her. Don’t get me wrong I still love to hunt but my little girls come first.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Always said "I don't hunt to save money, but I do eat what I kill to keep from spending more." That and for the most part I like to eat what I hunt.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I can say it's a bad deal for me. Maybe not for somebody else. Even if said property is 20,000 acres...chances of shooting a booner are still much less than on 200 acres of well managed Iowa ground, so still wouldn't be worth it to me. my $4k would be better spent elsewhere. Now if GA was the only place I was ever able to hunt, and said property was the best of the best...chances are I probably would pay it, but such is not the case, so for me, it's a bad deal.

I would love to go to Iowa and hunt but that's a helluva long ways for anyone in NC. 200 acre or 20000 acre lease in Iowa ain't worth a dang to me if it has 20 booners on it. Convenience is worth a lot and Iowa sure ain't convenient.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I would love to go to Iowa and hunt but that's a helluva long ways for anyone in NC. 200 acre or 20000 acre lease in Iowa ain't worth a dang to me if it has 20 booners on it. Convenience is worth a lot and Iowa sure ain't convenient.

That’s true for some folks. But right now two buddies are driving up here from Johnston County to hunt turkeys, so it’s not that bad for some...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
IMHO $4,000 a year for a lease in GA (Or anywhere in the SE) that I have to share with other people is laughable. I spend...a lot...on leases every year, I have about a dozen of them. I pay less than that total for a 650 acre tract in southern Iowa. I don't know what kind of deer are coming off the GA piece, but I'd bet it's not multiple booners per year. there is certainly value in well managed property, but to me it has to be put in perspective...well managed compared to what? I wouldn't pay $4k a year (per person) for a farm in Iowa unless it had guaranteed 180+ inchers on it every year. You can go on a heck of a guided hunt for $4k. My largest farm I lease for $9,500, but it's 1100 contiguous acres in Iowa, and split between 6 people, so it's still only a little over $1500/person. 4k per person is crazy IMO.

I'm not sure if you understand how popular hunting is in NC. We got people paying $26/acre to kill 110" bucks. People flock to NE NC to hunt. They come from NJ, PA, Fla, NY, VT and every other yankee land. There are much more people that care about killing DEER than killing big bucks. In the northern states deer harvest and season laws aren't as liberal as here and that why the leases are high here and every other SE state. A lot of people aren't going to go somewhere hunting to kill one buck. Hell we got guys from NJ in our club just so they can come hunt for one week in the year.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
That’s true for some folks. But right now two buddies are driving up here from Johnston County to hunt turkeys, so it’s not that bad for some...

As good as I love turkey hunting I ain't riding to Iowa to kill an eastern turkey. I can kill all I want here, Va and SC. To each their own though.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
As good as I love turkey hunting I ain't riding to Iowa to kill an eastern turkey. I can kill all I want here, Va and SC. To each their own though.

I’m with ya on that! I don’t even hunt the things in my back yard and they are everywhere. But my two buddies are ate up with turkey hunting...they go all over every year...NC, SC, KS, IA, MO, NE, TX....I don’t get it myself...all turkeys look the same to me haha [emoji2369]

buckman4c

Spike
About $800 is far is I’ll go but it’s getting harder and harder to pay every year. In the last 2 years I’ve step in the woods 4 times. I have twin 2 year old girls, which one has cerebral palsy and some other health problems so it takes both my wife and I to take care of her. Don’t get me wrong I still love to hunt but my little girls come first.
Bless you and your family!

Dad belonged to a hunt club in Pa many years ago. Paid $250 a year for access to 2500 acres with 30 members plus their own kids and (1) fee paying guest per day. First day of rifle we had in the neighborhood of (60) hunters out. Sounds like a lot of hunters, but back in that day, that was "low" pressure (LOL). No cabin or anything else special about the property. Enjoyed hunting there but once I got the hang of hunting public land, I never looked back. Obviously!!! LOL. Didn't realize what hunters are paying these days.

I wouldn't pay a dime unless I HAD too.(permit fee or sudden loss of public land) Don't pay for guides unless laws say otherwise. And, I don't pay to hunt private land either, permission or no thanks. We have some awesome public ground across this country. To each his own.

More importantly, I enjoy spending our money on the house, family vacations, hunting trips out-of-state and the retirement fund.

Last edited:

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I would pay $2000 a year for a good dog hunting club in SE VA that has management rules before I would spend $500 on a still hunting lease more that 30 min from my house. I have a preference as everyone else but was just pointing out everyone doesn't care about booners or Iowa or paying money for a lease.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well I have done that and by Golly it's worth it to me! LOL you are the sane one.
what makes it even more stupid is the bag limit. One. :ROFLMAO:

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
whether its land, guns, bows or whatever else, I think we all spend a great deal of our disposable income on hunting......

while I dont spend much on land, I DID just spend 850 dollars on a hang on tree stand.. Some probably find that crazy since you can get them for 50$ at wally world but for the way I hunt, I am expecting it to be worth every penny. To each his own....besides, the more of you guys that are leasing private, the more public land us lowly bastards have to ourselves!!!!! LEASE ON BROTHER.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
whether its land, guns, bows or whatever else, I think we all spend a great deal of our disposable income on hunting......

while I dont spend much on land, I DID just spend 850 dollars on a hang on tree stand.. Some probably find that crazy since you can get them for 50$ at wally world but for the way I hunt, I am expecting it to be worth every penny. To each his own....besides, the more of you guys that are leasing private, the more public land us lowly bastards have to ourselves!!!!! LEASE ON BROTHER.

You'll have to let us know if that new Lone Wolf is worth it (Andre knocked it out of the park I'm sure, I just can't make myself pay that when I need a saddle up here in the mountains more than a hang-on.)

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
You'll have to let us know if that new Lone Wolf is worth it (Andre knocked it out of the park I'm sure, I just can't make myself pay that when I need a saddle up here in the mountains more than a hang-on.)

Its only pre-order so I wont get it till about June, but I will definitely post a review as soon as I get it. From what I have seen it solves every single issue I had with hang on stands.

They also came out with a saddle platform as I am sure you saw...

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My club dues are zero. It’s 15 of us and we have roughly 2000 acres. I do spent about 500 a year out of pocket on dog related stuff and food plots on club land..

I lease 3 farms personally with a couple buddies that don’t dog hunt. We spend about $4000 on lease and food plots.

But these don’t touch on the personal farm I just bought. It was an investment. But hunting was top of list reason for purchase.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Have you got you a saddle yet? I am really digging my Aero Hunter Kestrel. I bought a single Lone Wolf climbing stick and made a DIY platform from an old hang-on seat. Total weight is around 9lbs for the whole set-up. The platform and saddle fit in the lid of my hunting pack. I am getting pretty good at the single stick climbing method. I am now practicing on getting around tree limbs that I can't trim out of the way. On a tree with no limbs, I can get to 20 ft and be completely set up with arrow knocked in about 11 minutes. I can go faster, but it takes me a minute or two get my saddle really comfortable once I get settled. The saddle has eliminated the need for a climber and a safety harness. I trimmed over 10lbs off my hunting set-up by buying a saddle, and it packs down so small, no clunkly tree stand hanging off the back of my pack, grabbing every limb on the hike in.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
No saddle yet, have looked hard at the mantis though. Already have spots picked out where a saddle will be killer for hunting rifle season travel corridors where hunting on the ground limits what you can see and carrying a climber or hang-on up and trying to get a buck out afterwards would be a chore.

I appreciate all the responses. Seems like most have a cut off like me, on what they a willing to pay. I am only talking about lease prices as I dont consider ATVs, Guns, stands, or other hunting related items that you can sell and get money back. If you buy right, guns can be a good investment but you never get land lease money back. Maybe a poll is in order just on what you are willing to pay to lease land.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I think of leasing like renting versus buying a home. One may be cheaper and more convenient initially, but there comes a point fairly early on where the larger investment makes more fiscal sense. We just bought almost 15 acres as a homesite and although I will hunt it, that wasn't one of the main points in our decision.

I've honestly never considered a hunting lease. We have so much awesome public land, and I have family a few hours away with plenty of land. I'm not always successful in terms of kills, but I enjoy just being out, so I feel like I get my money's worth...

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have always been lucky with family land to hunt for the most part, or permission.. that being said, those days will eventually end. At my age if I started paying big lease money now and did so until I die, I will still have paid less than many who are in cheap leases.

I bust my arse to make as much money as I can, not because I like to work particularly or even like money.. but I do like living comfortably and doing the things i enjoy. Hunting and Golf are high on those lists.. so I spend money on those as I need / want to. Heck I will spend $500 on tags in the next two weeks if all works out well.. and will not worry about it one bit.. that is part of the reason I am at work today :)