How much are yall willing to spend?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
When one factors in how much hunters spend on guns, ammo, bows, arrows, clothing, optics, corn, minerals, boots, scents, do-dads, gadgets, ATV's, tractors and everything else, spending a couple thousand on some land to hunt is a drop in the bucket.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
people book hunts with outfitters and spend similar money for a chance at some pictures emailed to you and hope no one else shoots it the week before, or with the camp full of other hunters you don't know. Spending $4k is a lot for the average hunter, but well worth it if you want a mature deer that you likely put some work in with.
Spending time in a food plot, putting up stands, scouting and then shooting a 150" or bigger sure has a better feel to it than spending $4k with an outfitter you met through emails and spent no time there other than getting dropped off at a stand

I’d disagree, from what I’ve seen MOST (not all) that will pay that much don’t put in much if any work into hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
It’s all what a man wants from the game.
I know plenty of guys who spend upward of $10k a year on various clubs and leases to only hunt a couple times a year.

On the other hand, I'm hunting or fishing prolly 40 weekends a year, and I spend $0 a year on leases. All public or permissions
But, I prolly run triple the gas that most guys do in a season just running around scouting different pieces of public. Not uncommon for me to drive 3hrs in the morning to hunt a piece if the weather and sign is right. That's how I like to hunt cause I'm stir crazy.

I can prolly afford to lease A (lol, singular) pretty nice place to hunt, but I don't want to be tied into HAVING to only hunt there to justify the expense.

It is unfortunate, though, that the general rise in lease costs is driven more by people who can afford big $$ instead of people who appreciate the access it affords.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
When I lived in Charlotte I’d have paid up to $500 (each) with 2 or 3 of my buddies to have something within 30 min to hunt just for convinence and not have to hear my wife complain about me going so far to hunt even though 99% of the time I’m hunting public. In SC I get on a small lease with my dad and grandad to help them but it’s around $200 each for 80 acres, surrounded by public and it’s nice to have a place my grandpa can access easily and we can hunt Sunday on. Even then I’ve maybe hunted it 5 times total the two years I was on it with them.

I’ll get back on there with them this year since I plan on hunting SC again this season to have another year in the woods with my grandpa but doubt I’ll hunt it more than once or twice. If NC and SC would get with the program and allow Sunday hunting on public land I wouldn’t even bother with even that small lease, especially since now I can be out the door and hunting public in 20 min.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I think the wife would kill me if I tried to pay $4k for a lease.

That said, it's all whats important to you and what you want out of a piece of property. Someone else mentioned it, but $4k broken down monthly is $333. You can almost finance a piece of property of your own for that, or at least close to that.

xbowhuntonly

Four Pointer
I pay $2000 a year in Ohio we have 2500 acres in SE Ohio 3 story lodge walk in cooler skinning shed I have it made there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidson county

Eight Pointer
When one factors in how much hunters spend on guns, ammo, bows, arrows, clothing, optics, corn, minerals, boots, scents, do-dads, gadgets, ATV's, tractors and everything else, spending a couple thousand on some land to hunt is a drop in the bucket.

this. I pay my share in NC. last year I hunted 3 lease and up keep on 80 ac in WV. but this is what I enjoy. work hard and long hours. plan to enjoy the things i like to do in life. then add fishing in. wonder sometimes why the wife hasn't left yet, lol

i think we are fishing for elite reversal here, judgement on what folks pay to hunt and ridiculing it if it exceeds their ideas.
dangerous ground. really a circular argument looking for issues that arent there.
just my $.02.
Nobody is judging anybody? What exactly is elite reversal? Sounds like a wrestling move to me? It was just a question not meant to ridicule. Nobody is looking for issues just what people are willing to pay for leases and why they are willing to pay it. I personally cant justify $4000. But if you can awesome. Tell me about it.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Nobody is judging anybody? What exactly is elite reversal? Sounds like a wrestling move to me? It was just a question not meant to ridicule. Nobody is looking for issues just what people are paying for leases and why they are willing to pay it.
when you say "Do you know how much steak i could buy for $......" in your OP.
you're ridiculing those that do spend $..... to hunt.
Elite reversal is thumbing your nose at someone playing at a higher level than you want/can.
you were looking for the "hell yeah that is just damn stupid to pay that much to hunt." comments.
just worry about your steak and let the hunters decide the value of their land.
who gives a rat's behind what someone else pays?

when you say "Do you know how much steak i could buy for $......" in your OP.
you're ridiculing those that do spend $..... to hunt.
Elite reversal is thumbing your nose at someone playing at a higher level than you want/can.
you were looking for the "hell yeah that is just damn stupid to pay that much to hunt." comments.
just worry about your steak and let the hunters decide the value of their land.
who gives a rat's behind what someone else pays?
Its not that its stupid spend it if you got it. I was just wondering how many people actually pay that much to hunt? Like I said I am a meat hunter. So to me personally $4000 would be silly.

Its not that its stupid spend it if you got it. I was just wondering how many people actually pay that much to hunt? Like I said I am a meat hunter. So to me personally $4000 would be silly. As to why others give a rats ass as to what others pay I guess my answer is I think rich trophy hunters drive up lease prices. My opinion only of course.

Old School this song is for you. <iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I never thought this would happen, but with each passing year I find I care less about going hunting and find it harder and harder to pay anything to go.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Old School this song is for you. <iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
you haven't been around here long enough to know that song doesn't fit me at all.
no one defends the old little man of native NC more than me.

But while you are explaining the value of meat and the waste you see :trot on over to the turkey forum and get that going.
1,000 of dollars spent on calls, ten dollar shells, out of state hunts, hundreds in liscence fees, lease fees just for turkeys in the thosuands, all for a bird your meat hunting self can get at the Piggly wiggly for pocket change.

maybe you can straighten them out before they continue to spend their money in ways that you find foolish. :ROFLMAO:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
bird your meat hunting self can get at the Piggly wiggly for pocket change

exact thing I told the fellows down in SC over breakfast last weekend,,,,here we are, up and at the clubhouse at 3AM so we were first in line to pick an area,,,all for a bird we can but at the store for $1 a pound most years!!

you haven't been around here long enough to know that song doesn't fit me at all.
no one defends the old little man of native NC more than me.

But while you are explaining the value of meat and the waste you see :trot on over to the turkey forum and get that going.
1,000 of dollars spent on calls, ten dollar shells, out of state hunts, hundreds in liscence fees, lease fees just for turkeys in the thosuands, all for a bird your meat hunting self can get at the Piggly wiggly for pocket change.

maybe you can straighten them out before they continue to spend their money in ways that you find foolish. :ROFLMAO:
Never said it was foolish. Its your money spend it how you like. I was just wonder what people are willing to pay. Like I said my only concern is with higher and higher lease prices at What point would you call it quits.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
exact thing I told the fellows down in SC over breakfast last weekend,,,,here we are, up and at the clubhouse at 3AM so we were first in line to pick an area,,,all for a bird we can but at the store for $1 a pound most years!!
I listened to exactly the same thing Saturday evening.
, My BIL cannot fathom leaving at 2:30 am, to drive and try and kill a bird he can "buy if he wanted one." His final shot on the topic, "That's just not very smart if you ask me."
I told him that I was indeed not very smart because I was heading back the next morning. :)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Never said it was foolish. Its your money spend it how you like. I was just wonder what people are willing to pay. Like I said my only concern is with higher and higher lease prices at What point would you call it quits.

why do you waste your time hunting? you can buy protein without any effort.

As stupid as that sounds to you, the questioning of someone else's financial commitments to hunt is equally stupid and pointless.
you aint changing anyone's mind.
We all pay what we can/want to pay to hunt. That field will never be level.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
At the core everything is a waste of money and time
Golf? well that's just silly
concert? isn't that what a radio is for
sports events? nothing any team does effects anything in my life
But i sure do like wasting my time in the field, walking, scouting, sitting and spending what money i do have in an effort to enjoy my wasted time.
In the last 7 years i have spent $9k on a 4 wheeler, about $2500 a year on scouting trips and trail trimming, $25k on 160 acres, spent on average 100 hours in the truck a year going back and forth (3 trips)
If i had to make the choice between filling my freezer and wasting my time in the bush, then i am willing to sell my freezer.
I love wasting my time watching the sun come up, go down listening to the sounds of the wild

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I imagine folks spend as much money on their hobbies as they can afford....or get away with. And its all relative. How much an individual is willing to budget towards hunting or whatever will usually depend on how much discretionary money they have to play with.

Personally, I've never had as much extra money to put towards my hunting interests as I would like, which is why I've never leased land and also why I don't travel much to hunt. I have a tight hunting budget, purely out of necessity. But, if I did have the extra money, I would have no problem letting some of it go towards having better hunting opportunities. I would lease land, buy land, travel...whatever....in a heartbeat, with no guilt and with little regard for whether it was sensible.

Hunting has always been a big priority in my life, but my budget for it has always been fairly small, and proportionate to the rest of my family/household budget.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I never thought this would happen, but with each passing year I find I care less about going hunting and find it harder and harder to pay anything to go.

I've got that way with deer hunting only reason I go is funning with the guys could care less if see or shoot one

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I imagine folks spend as much money on their hobbies as they can afford....or get away with. And its all relative. How much an individual is willing to budget towards hunting or whatever will usually depend on how much discretionary money they have to play with.

Personally, I've never had as much extra money to put towards my hunting interests as I would like, which is why I've never leased land and also why I don't travel much to hunt. I have a tight hunting budget, purely out of necessity. But, if I did have the extra money, I would have no problem letting some of it go towards having better hunting opportunities. I would lease land, buy land, travel...whatever....in a heartbeat, with no guilt and with little regard for whether it was sensible.

Hunting has always been a big priority in my life, but my budget for it has always been fairly small, and proportionate to the rest of my family/household budget.
You would have to spend ALOT of money to see and kill deer bigger than what you already do.....lol

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
i hunt with a buddy from school on private land we have about 1000 acres and its all free. plus access to close to another 1000 if we ask but were not allowed to just wonder into any stand. thats no big deal we didnt hunt it at all last year. both properties butt up to another farm he leases it for 50,000 a year to corporations, about 1600 acres. guy just signed a 10 lease so he could take his kids hunting and fishing any time he wants. he stocked the ponds with hybrid bass, and crappie. paying for someone to mow and take care of the house. seems like a nice guy asked if we'd wanna try and kill the coyotes and beavers for him. and fish with his younger kids. we had a couple stands on it from the pervious guy that let us hunt a block that he said was to hard to get to, we told him we would get them down and he said leave them, that he would need alot of help this year and he wouldnt mind letting us hunt it some for helping him out.