How many X hunting? How many shooter sightings?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For the sake of the discussion, let’s call a shooter 110”.

Also, please note if sighting was AM or PM.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Hunted 5 sits this year. Seen 1 deer while on stand in your “shooter” category. Not a shooter for me. Got some others prowling around just not while I’ve been present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Now I’m wiser[emoji6]
I have two types of sits now. Kill meat sits and a targeted buck sit.
If it’s not right. Wind, temp, fronts, deer not coming in consistent I don’t sit in the tree and hope. I don’t hunt.
So.
Kill a buck sits this year. 3 one of which was a harvest.
d58de1cfe6729c1e1d1be10813d2036b.jpg

7e3a998778e85996e0bf4155638eb500.jpg

The deer in the back ground is the one I harvested.
Got the pictures I needed, and killed him on the first sit. He was with another deer that “scored” like him but was way younger. This deer is 128” gross. 117 net. 4.5 yrs old documented by a wildlife Biologest.
The other two buck hunt sits.. saw the deer two of them I thought I was after. Couldn’t bring my self to shoot. Both over 110” but the racks just didn’t turn me on I guess. I really want a pope and young. So hopefully they make it. I just had to lay my eyes on them to really judge them. They looked huge in velvet.
ad90123e0f6fc1bd80a38954e3c92a6f.jpg

d8abcacf21c907fe84be82b72fd2a790.jpg

The other sit I didn’t see the deer in person.
I let a buddy get in the tree a couple nights later and he got em.
Doe killing sits a lot. Some worked and some didn’t. I like nice tight shots on meat deer because I don’t like tracking and dragging that much.
With all this blabbing I’ve decided if I shoot anymore bucks under 125” they will have age on them. 4.5yrs old or older. If they aren’t net 125” deer by the time they are 4-5 yrs old they will probably never will be.
It’s amazing to see documented deer by wildlife Biologest that have crazy horns and are only 3.5yrs old.

Last edited:

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
Now I’m wiser[emoji6]
I have two types of sits now. Kill meat sits and a targeted buck sit.
If it’s not right. Wind, temp, fronts, deer not coming in consistent I don’t sit in the tree and hope. I don’t hunt.
So.
Kill a buck sits this year. 3 one of which was a harvest.
d58de1cfe6729c1e1d1be10813d2036b.jpg

7e3a998778e85996e0bf4155638eb500.jpg

The deer in the back ground is the one I harvested.
Got the pictures I needed, and killed him on the first sit. He was with another deer that “scored” like him but was way younger. This deer is 128” gross. 117 net. 4.5 yrs old documented by a wildlife Biologest.
The other two buck hunt sits.. saw the deer two of them I thought I was after. Couldn’t bring my self to shoot. Both over 110” but the racks just didn’t turn me on I guess. I really want a pope and young. So hopefully they make it. I just had to lay my eyes on them to really judge them. They looked huge in velvet.
ad90123e0f6fc1bd80a38954e3c92a6f.jpg

d8abcacf21c907fe84be82b72fd2a790.jpg

The other sit I didn’t see the deer in person.
I let a buddy get in the tree a couple nights later and he got em.
Doe killing sits a lot. Some worked and some didn’t. I like nice tight shots on meat deer because I don’t like tracking and dragging that much.
With all this blabbing I’ve decided if I shoot anymore bucks under 125” they will have age on them. 4.5yrs old or older. If they aren’t net 125” deer by the time they are 4-5 yrs old they will probably never will be.
It’s amazing to see documented deer by wildlife Biologest that have crazy horns and are only 3.5yrs old.
The 10 pointer my buddy killed this year was only a 2.5 yr old deer. Now he would have been a stud at 3-4.

Is the biologist cutting the tooth? If he’s just aging on wear it could be off a year either way.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
Have hunted 13 times.... seen bucks over 110” 12 of those sits, both morning and afternoon. My daughter on the other hand has hunted with me twice... and killed the deer she was after on the 2nd hunt, the morning of Oct 12th. Have only seen the one I’m after once and it was dark by the time he showed up...but he’s still coming every night and flirting with daylight
b1dd9690f9d1fea5a07614c891e3791d.jpg
8913098d266bf5035f91a3f2dfbac536.jpg

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
7 sits so far. All public land. One "shooter" by your definition in post. Opening day archery, PM. Two other shooters by my standards, both 100" (give or take a few inches) 8pts. One was seen in evening, the other in AM.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Zero ‘shooter hunts’. 6-7 hunts. 2, maybe 3 *shooters seen. One passed at point blank. All pm.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
For the sake of the discussion, let’s call a shooter 110”.

Also, please note if sighting was AM or PM.

Thanks!

zero and zero for me so far.... with limited mobility this year I'm relying heavily on trail cams to tell me when to start..... should be soon.

From years past though,,, i can safely say that the ratio of Sept & Early Oct bowhunts to shooter sightings is low... so low in fact that I basically dont start anymore until Oct 15th even before all these back issues.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
zero and zero for me so far.... with limited mobility this year I'm relying heavily on trail cams to tell me when to start..... should be soon.

From years past though,,, i can safely say that the ratio of Sept & Early Oct bowhunts to shooter sightings is low... so low in fact that I basically dont start anymore until Oct 15th even before all these back issues.

Thanks Dan. Hope you get out.... heck, when you decide it’s time.

I can count on one hand the number of shooters I’ve seen, prior to 10/25...& I used to hunt whenever I wanted to. Any more, I just wait.

The weather’s too nice, currently. I’m going to go tomorrow. Won’t be my best spot (too soon), but I’ll be in a tree.

Good luck everyone.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I’m going in to my best spot this eve. He’s(well, they)been there in daylight all year. Just been waiting on the weather...

2 calendar days earlier than I went in last year.2EA3D04C-8660-4D98-9C6D-026000EF98E1.jpeg
I’ve got a nagging feeling I should’ve been there yesterday, but work happened...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
^ i wish you hadnt said that. I have the same feeling but at least i do not have a camera to prove my second guessing.

CAP305

Six Pointer
6 sits across multiple public parcels. Zero shooters and 4 does. No shots taken. Now that cooler weather is here along with some rain I'm transitioning to my higher elevation spots.