How many of yall ever collect the deer you got only nighttime pics of?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Today was my fourth buck ever harvested that I got only nighttime pics of since my first deer camera in 2009. I dont get excited about the nighttime pics but once I get a daytime, I tend to get a shot at that deer
627303620.jpg

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Ive only killed 1 I had pics of and they were all night pics except for one two years before.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We’ve killed several that we only had nighttime pics of before we killed them, although a couple of them we found daytime pics on the card pull after we killed them.

One deer my uncle killed we got only one daytime picture of, just moments before my uncle killed him.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t run cameras anymore, but my number would be 0.

Again.....factor in I’m not stinking up my woods - running cameras, anymore, either 😉

Reactions: jug

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Several, but none where I was getting pics of them at night..... I used that info to back up on the deer and kill him "on purpose".
Just curious how far do you normally have to "back up"? I read articles of bucks up north traveling several miles over night to reach a food source.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
It really depends on where your cameras are IMO. Most of my cams are on ‘ride the 4 wheeler up and swap the card’ scrapes, so most of my pics are at night. But it gives good inventory, and deer that are there consistently are around in the daylight.

Had zero daylight pics since Sept of the deer I killed this year, but had night pics 150yds from where I shot him.

Had zero daylight shots of the buck dad killed this year, and he was killed 300 yards from the cam.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
It really depends on where your cameras are IMO. Most of my cams are on ‘ride the 4 wheeler up and swap the card’ scrapes, so most of my pics are at night. But it gives good inventory, and deer that are there consistently are around in the daylight.

Had zero daylight pics since Sept of the deer I killed this year, but had night pics 150yds from where I shot him.

Had zero daylight shots of the bucks dad killed this year, and he was killed 300 yards from the cam.
Same here I usually just set up camera in easy to get to spots just to get pictures of whats around.
I rarely hunt exactly where my cameras are.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Killed a.few.most were away from corn and camera,some.wete at it,seen more buck this year getting away from corn and cameras 150 to 300 yards away where the sigh is.rublines and funnels etc.haf a nice 5 pt come in at 4 yesterday.had 2 day time pics of him this week.before it was at night. I was 350yards away from corn. Got alot of one time pics of deer that will never be seen or killed close by.they are the traveling kind that go over 4 or 5 miles looking.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've taken 4 of my best bucks after getting only night photos. 2 of them I killed with a muzzle loader on rainy afternoons- figured they would move in legal "light" with the heavy cloud cover and they did, but with 3 or 4 minutes of legal hunt left under rainy skies I could never have done it without a scope. Another buck I killed the first time I hunted him. Moved about 100 yards away from my camera to the very edge of a 1 acre thicket and hung a stand. In the stand at 2:30pm, grunted at 3:50 and killed him with my .308 at 3:55 when he came out of the thick stuff looking. And one other was amazingly there at 3:00 in the afternoon soon as I climbed into my stand- took him with the .308.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I killed a ten point several years ago that we had no pictures of but the neighbor had a lot of pictures of him about three miles away from where I shot him.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Just curious how far do you normally have to "back up"? I read articles of bucks up north traveling several miles over night to reach a food source.

A lot of it has to do with having room to move... on the tiny acreages that most of us have nowadays it's not as easy as it used to be... but if I had room and a deer showing up at say 8pm... I know I need to hunt him somewhere around 3 "deer hours" away... that can be 3-400 yards in thicker cover or 2-3 miles in open territory, OR... if I have one showing consistent at 5am, I know I need to move to where he is headed, not where he is at at 5am

To answer your question,,, it depends on the terrain/cover.... usually it's only 3-400 yards to the thickest undisturbed cover available

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Too many to count. Just because they’re not in front of camera in the daylight doesn’t mean they aren’t within killing range in the daylight. But I can say i don’t think I’ve ever killed one in the morning. All were evening.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yall just aint got this target buck stuff worked out yet. watch you some you tube/tv stars and get schooled. 😛
they know exactly where and when the nocturnal ones will show.

• Haha

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
What sucks is when you get a good one on camera and become obsessed with it only to find out a guest kills it or it just flat dissapears.

I have somespots that you get pics of bucks in a field but there is no way to get in between bedding and the field because the entire "woods" is cutover so thick you cant walk thru or see into.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Killed several ... just gotta get an idea of where they’re coming from or going to and eventually you’ll find em during the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We usually get daylight pics on the camera, even if it's on the card pull after the deer was shot.

I had one like that here at the house 2 years ago. We had not had any daylight buck activity back there to speak of, but a bunch of does were showing up on the regular. I went back there the afternoon after Thanksgiving hoping to top off the freezer and a mature 4 1/2 year old walked in. After I pulled the camera card, it showed that buck had been all over the area in daylight for the previous 36 hours.

Rexm0311

Spike
Yes. I killed my best buck that way. If it's a regular spot they go to they eventually slip up and show up in the day