How many dogs?

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
A conversation between me and my son had me thinking. He asked how many dogs I would have if I ever got back into hunting with hounds. This is just a general conversation. I don’t have dogs anymore and allot of things have changed since I walked away. I’m not planning to own dogs again either just think this is an interesting thought.
When I quit I had four dogs that could each tree a bear from start to finish by there self( on 80% of the bears). Took many years and many dogs to get those 4. I like a four dog pack especially four that can do it by theirselves. So here is my thought. I enjoyed bear hunting immensely for many years but later I was using my dogs bobcats too. Now that is a blast. I like to run hogs but I don’t like the vet bills. So I told him that I thought with enough patience and time and the right dogs. I could do it with two on 80% of bears and 95% on bobcats. Some bears just are difficult and present more challenging hunts. So I know there are many thoughts in dogs, breeds, breeders and so many factors. I’m thinking I could get it done with two stephens curs.
what do you other guys think you would try.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve never done anything with bears but they are a critter.

every critter seems nice to have 2-4. Depends on how good they are. I like two as a minimum because they seem to do better with a companion. Dogs just seem to have more energy and and a better life with another. The downfall is the hardheadedness is normally 10x more with two dogs than one. At least 100x more if you have a pack.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
4 or 5 REAL dogs is enough to tree a bear or make a deer move. I've seen guys turn a box load of dogs loose and they be up and down the road, running each other and so on. If you have 4 or 5 good ones you're exponentially ahead of the game, you'll probably have more fun too.

Plottdog

Six Pointer
I had 18 at one time. All plotts caught a lot of bear but I worked my tail off trying to keep all of them running. I have none now just got to be to much money and too much work. 5-6 good dogs is all a man needs unless he hunts everyday. The bear has to win sometimes or it wouldn't be any fun.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Doesn't some of that depend on how much you can hunt? If I hit the powerball tomorrow I'd probably have a couple more, not because I can't afford more dogs now, but because I can't hunt enough to justify the extra work and expense.

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
I usually feed 4-5 bags a week give or take and depending on how many days a week I’m hunting. I also sale dog feed so that helps off set cost some.
As far as pens , i have (5) 10x20s, (1) 20x40 , (1) 12x35, and (1) 50x100. Has a 12 ft run way down the middle for my truck and is covered by a shelter .

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I usually feed 4-5 bags a week give or take and depending on how many days a week I’m hunting. I also sale dog feed so that helps off set cost some.
As far as pens , i have (5) 10x20s, (1) 20x40 , (1) 12x35, and (1) 50x100. Has a 12 ft run way down the middle for my truck and is covered by a shelter .
Awesome man I’d love to see some pictures

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When I owned dogs, deer hunting, fox hunting and field trialing, I ran 15 -20 most of the time deer hunting and fox hunting. Carried 5-10to trials. When I sold out several years ago, I sold 64 including puppies.
Had 7 10x10 pens all under a shelter and 4 10x10 pens attached to 15x15 horse stalls. Also had 5 4x12 brood boxes. Also had fenced areas around all the brood boxes.
Fed a pallet a month.

Was able to hunt about 20 days a month then, before I started teaching and a member of 3 clubs. Should have never left that job.

timber

Twelve Pointer
When was fox and bobcat hunting was usually 3 or 4 of hunting. We carry 15 to 17 dogs a piece. Guess depends on how you are hunting bobcats but around here in these thickets 2 dogs not going to get you much. You might luck up and he pop up a tree but we hunted them in the day time and caught most of them on the ground

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
When was fox and bobcat hunting was usually 3 or 4 of hunting. We carry 15 to 17 dogs a piece. Guess depends on how you are hunting bobcats but around here in these thickets 2 dogs not going to get you much. You might luck up and he pop up a tree but we hunted them in the day time and caught most of them on the ground
Now that sounds like fun. I was running 2 to 4 at a time. I waited on snow. It was really fun to do. Track the whole race in the snow.

timber

Twelve Pointer
It was fun. But one of those things you really liked it or hated it. Have been and trailed all day long and never been near the cat. We had a few dogs we could road in front of the pickup down some big cutover paths and strike the cat off the path. No doubt some days we were probably a lot closer to the cat when the dogs first struck than we were at the end of the day. Sometimes those old big toms will cover several miles especially if he was looking for a girlfriend. There was way more time spent trailing the cat than running him. Bobcat dosent have a lot of wind the race usually didn’t last to long after he is jumped.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
The last cat I ran. Was in deep snow about 4300’ elevation with 2 English dogs. I was getting ready to shoot the cat and I needed to step over a limb to get a clear shot. I stepped over the limb and found a hole. I fell he/she jumped and we never got stopped again. I’ve just always liked hunting as few dogs as possible. I’ve always thought the. Track scent was basically gone after the fourth dog ran over it.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I have 30 head of running bear dogs and 5 retirees I run 7 to 10 a day . I hunt everyday I can when the season is in from the mountains to the coast. My brother and I have 25 outside fox hounds he gets to run them a little more than I do and most of the we have few puppies around the place. I truly do love to hear a Hound run!!!

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
We have 20 running hounds and 6 pups right now. We have been know to run all we have. We primary hunt deer. We don't mind a good coyote/fox/cat race though. IMO, a good pack needs trail dogs, track runners, winders and even cutters/swingers. Even have' em that will strike from in the truck. A pack like that can put some real heat on the game. Sure I can hunt with just one or two, but a pack is better. I want all of them to be able to do it on their own, but I want them to work together and honor each other. I don't want a lying hound, the other ones will let you know.

Attachments

• IMG_20201207_152340135_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201207_152340135_HDR.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Feed is subjective, I feed the same feed year round. Right now I feed 1/4 the amount of feed I will be feeding the last week of the season and my dogs are fat.

To the end of the season between hard running and cold weather they are like feeding bottomless pits. It is almost impossible to feed them too much. Now it is just maintenance, giving them something to keep them happy and not let them pile on too much weight.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I hunt deer hunt with 5 that run well together. I have several buddies that field trial/deer hunt with 10-15 dogs a piece. I hunt small blocks of woods with only a few people, we try not to turn out more than 10 dogs to deer hunt. My buddies with with the mega packs hunt a club that's 20,000 acres, they turn everything they have out.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
When I dog hunted I liked a pack of 6-8 beagles. My ex and his son ran hounds and they ran about 8 most of the time. We had a big food bill but supplemented with a drum of peanut butter during the season. Loved my beagles. Spent a lot more time hunting and less time chasing dogs. I could get my pack loaded up at the end of the day, get home and feed and clean pens and make dinner before the guys got home.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I got 14 currently. 10 running dogs, 3 pups about 10 weeks old and 1 retiree. I usually hunt 10 when I hunt at my big club in NC. When Va season comes in my brother and I split em into 2 packs.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I seen a feller this morning passing by as we got out of church with a full bed box on a tundra and another box strapped to the top of it

Reactions: DRS