How many dogs do you carry?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I carry 3 to 4 when deer hunting. Thats enough for me to keep up with and cut off. In my younger days I have been known to carry 10 to 12 head of fox Walkers. Id look for dogs all night. Back then I was single and had nothing to do expect look for dogs. It wouldnt bother me if they were all still out at dark, just meant I had something to do. That was with beep beep collars too.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
4 now. They do all I need to do and are relatively easy to keep up with. I would probably hunt 5 if I had that many that suited me and in time will get a couple more for spares because one of mine is a female and I know that sooner or later she will rotate her cycle to fall in hunting season. But I don't ever see my actually hunting over 5 at a time.

timber

Twelve Pointer
4 now. They do all I need to do and are relatively easy to keep up with. I would probably hunt 5 if I had that many that suited me and in time will get a couple more for spares because one of mine is a female and I know that sooner or later she will rotate her cycle to fall in hunting season. But I don't ever see my actually hunting over 5 at a time.

You ever used the shots to keep them from going in heat

timber

Twelve Pointer
Never had a problem. If ended up a dog i wanted to breed after had given the shot would let her come in later and skip breeding them the first time they came in after the shot. Then breed them the second time.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Every vet I ever talked to has always told me it may and usually caused erratic cycles among other issues. There are a couple newer drugs they use now I understand that they say has less impact on them but I never have been one to fool with mother nature much.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
If I'm running by my self I'll run 7 or 8. Me am my kennel partner will run 18-20 at the time. Depends on where we are hunting also. Some blocks at our small club 4 or 5 is best, but it is hard to feed them and not let them run. We hunted them all there a couple weeks ago, got ourselves in a mess when several bucks took the dogs off in 3 directions. Several managing to get on a busy road. Then all(18) of them got on a small doe and she ran down the same busy road. It was not pretty dogs scattered 300 yards up and down the road trying to pick up the track, 2 here, 100 yards down 3-4 more. She must have tried to cross 3 times. It was a mess. Luckily we did not lose a dog. Sometimes, I think after running them in that jungle down at the Northern Dismal, the woods at home have a hard time slowing them down. Needless to say, both of us had our fill, we hunted the N. Dismal the next two days we got to hunt.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
When I fox hunt I carry everything I got most of the time 25 head. When I'm bear hunting I run 12 a day I may work a couple of young dogs in with the older dogs every now and then. I run a fresh pack everyday if they run on Monday they don't run again until Wednesday.

timber

Twelve Pointer
When I fox hunt I carry everything I got most of the time 25 head. When I'm bear hunting I run 12 a day I may work a couple of young dogs in with the older dogs every now and then. I run a fresh pack everyday if they run on Monday they don't run again until Wednesday.

you finding many fox. They kinda scarce around here now. The guys that still fox hunting have cover alot of ground now to find enough to hunt

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are still plenty here. Yote trappers got 3 the first night they set here 2 reds and a grey.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
you finding many fox. They kinda scarce around here now. The guys that still fox hunting have cover alot of ground now to find enough to hunt

We do alright I run alot of family land when I fox hunt we do not allow any trapping on our land.Yotes don't tend to live long on it either.

timber

Twelve Pointer
U
We do alright I run alot of family land when I fox hunt we do not allow any trapping on our land.Yotes don't tend to live long on it either.

I use have dogs fox hunted and bobcat hunted a lot with. Got out 10 or 12 years ago. Enjoyed the bobcats probably better than the fox. Used same dogs for both

Last edited:
Reactions: RJ1

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Nothing to do with this post::::::::: but have you got big dogs again or you just running smaller stock?

Got around 25 total big dogs right now. Sold rabbit dogs few years back. Planning on raising 2-3 more litters this year for myself. Moved to Nash county few months back. Give me a call sometime 👍🏻

gregor187

Six Pointer
Got around 25 total big dogs right now. Sold rabbit dogs few years back. Planning on raising 2-3 more litters this year for myself. Moved to Nash county few months back. Give me a call sometime 👍🏻

Jimmy and Peyton told me you pulled up stakes and left G town.......PM me your number would like to touch base......

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Depends on where I'm hunting. On Saturdays with a good crowd I usually carry 8 to 10. If we are hunting small blocks and not many people I carry 4 or 5.

Hunted right by myself last week with 4 and killed a deer.