How many days does your club hunt?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just curious how many days a week your club has organized dog hunts? No right or wrong answer, makes no difference if you hunt only Saturdays or you run six days a week. My club is only hunting Saturdays until mid November, then will be at least one weekday and possibly a Friday also. I try to do wait until later on in the season to take alot of time off work to hunt. Ive always liked to dog hunt best later in the season and ive also had the best luck then. What about you?

Reactions: jug
Everyday first week and last week then Monday,Wednesday and Saturdays the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Saturday’s, plus holidays and all of closing week. But if enough people show up on off days, we’ll run em as well.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Organized dog hunts are Sats. and half day on Mon. all holidays and all week Thanksgiving and Christmas, this is one I am in. The other two I am in pretty much the same except Fridays and all day on Monday.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Small club has an organized hunt on Sat. We can hunt any day of the week though. It is made clear that it is a dog hunting club. The big club has no organized hunts. This club is large enough for different groups to hunt different blocks. It gets hunted every day. I would bet that you'll find someone running there any day of the week, any day of the year. Honestly, I could not see maintaining a pack of hounds to hunt a few Saturdays out of a year. That's when, the club needs to do like the guys did in Italy when I was there. Several people in the hunting group cared for a single hound throughout the year. All of these hounds were ran together to make up their group's pack. I found the concept very interesting. It definitely made it more affordable for them.

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Small club has an organized hunt on Sat. We can hunt any day of the week though. It is made clear that it is a dog hunting club. The big club has no organized hunts. This club is large enough for different groups to hunt different blocks. It gets hunted every day. I would bet that you'll find someone running there any day of the week, any day of the year. Honestly, I could not see maintaining a pack of hounds to hunt a few Saturdays out of a year. That's when, the club needs to do like the guys did in Italy when I was there. Several people in the hunting group cared for a single hound throughout the year. All of these hounds were ran together to make up their group's pack. I found the concept very interesting. It definitely made it more affordable for them.

That's sort of what my partner and me are doing this year. We have about six sure enough dere dogs between him and his dad and another guy and me. Last Saturday instead of all of us brining a box load of dogs each we ran six dogs and turned them all lose together and had four trucks keeping up with them. Made it alot easier and quicker to get caught up before the next hunt. If you got good dogs and a few deer everyone doesn't need to bring 10 head. Beem there done that. I also agree it isn't worth keeping hounds for 10 or 12 Saturdays a year. If you have family obligations or something else come up and there as most of us will between now and January then youre all of a sudden feeding dogs all year to hunt less than a dozen times. I'm in two dog clubs thankfully so I can hunt somewhere about any day of the week if I take a notion. One club is 3 hours away but its 12,000 acres and all dirt roads.

Reactions: DRS