How in the world??..pocket gun shot to head

PG2

Ten Pointer
When I saw that I thought the same thing, how does it go off in his pocket and hit him in the head? And why was he carrying a loading gun in his pocket... Terrible for sure...

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
One report say's it was a prop for the video he was shooting, why would you use a loaded gun for a prop anyway,sad for the family.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
It's as easy as this:

IF the gun was in his pocket muzzle up AND he put his hand in the pocket. No different than a ND holstering, if an obstruction catches the trigger on the "downstroke".

100% avoidable no matter how it happened. Very sad situation.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I haven't read anything thus far that even remotely resembles factual details surrounding this incident. However, I do know that pocket carry is safe if you follow a few basic rules:

1. Refrain from using guns with "short triggers" or those that require "cocked and locked" carry.
  2. Use a proper fitting holster that actually fits the gun.
  3. Use a holster that keeps the gun safely oriented (muzzle down) in the pocket.
  4. Choose a holster that prevents incidental manipulation of the gun's controls (i.e. trigger, safety, magazine release, etc).
  5. Pick a gun that's small enough to allow for a master/firing grip while the gun is still seated in the bottom of the pocket.
  6. Carry nothing else in the pocket that holds the gun.
I know a great many novices that routinely ignore these practices and in my mind they're just an accident statistic looking for a place to happen.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I haven't read anything thus far that even remotely resembles factual details surrounding this incident. However, I do know that pocket carry is safe if you follow a few basic rules:

1. Refrain from using guns with "short triggers" or those that require "cocked and locked" carry.
  2. Use a proper fitting holster that actually fits the gun.
  3. Use a holster that keeps the gun safely oriented (muzzle down) in the pocket.
  4. Choose a holster that prevents incidental manipulation of the gun's controls (i.e. trigger, safety, magazine release, etc).
  5. Pick a gun that's small enough to allow for a master/firing grip while the gun is still seated in the bottom of the pocket.
  6. Carry nothing else in the pocket that holds the gun.
I know a great many novices that routinely ignore these practices and in my mind they're just an accident statistic looking for a place to happen.

Very good advice for anyone wanting to pocket carry. If a holstered firearm is in your pocket, it owns ALL of that real estate, no visitors allowed other than you hand for the draw or the extraction of the entire unit.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Kinda' reminds you of how Brandon Lee died on the set while filming "The Crow."
How does a loaded prop gun make its way onto a production set ?
Regardless, it still breaks the rule of treating every gun as if it was loaded. Maybe he knew it was, if so the muzzle pointed in a safe direction rule was flagrantly violated.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
It's as easy as this:

IF the gun was in his pocket muzzle up AND he put his hand in the pocket. No different than a ND holstering, if an obstruction catches the trigger on the "downstroke".

100% avoidable no matter how it happened. Very sad situation.

This is the 1st thing that came to my mind. Sad however it happened.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I figure a semi-auto handgun with a full clip and none in the chamber is safe however you carry it, and a split second is all it takes to put one in the chamber. Safe and no accidental shot fired.

Or a split second is all it takes to get killed should you actually need a loaded, functioning defensive handgun. “Safe” is a term that is situationally dependent.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I figure a semi-auto handgun with a full clip and none in the chamber is safe however you carry it, and a split second is all it takes to put one in the chamber. Safe and no accidental shot fired.
I disagree. If you want to use "unloaded gun" and "safe" in the same sentence, it also needs to include the word Liberty or Drake. I'm not carrying an unloaded gun with me. That's like waiting to put your seatbelt on when you're wrecking.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I disagree. If you want to use "unloaded gun" and "safe" in the same sentence, it also needs to include the word Liberty or Drake. I'm not carrying an unloaded gun with me. That's like waiting to put your seatbelt on when you're wrecking.
A full clip but nothing in the chamber is not an unloaded gun.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, it’s not a clip. And yes, it’s about as useful as a rock without one in the chamber.

If the man wants to carry a gun in that fashion, why should it matter?

I’m not one that has a gun on me every day. I usually have one within reach, but I don’t see the issue with keeping one out of the chamber.

Do you have an advantage with one in the chamber....yes. Are you in big trouble without one in the chamber....probably not. Life has a ton of risks. Carrying a bullet in or not in the chamber is probably not going to be the biggest decision you make.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
If the man wants to carry a gun in that fashion, why should it matter?

I’m not one that has a gun on me every day. I usually have one within reach, but I don’t see the issue with keeping one out of the chamber.

Do you have an advantage with one in the chamber....yes. Are you in big trouble without one in the chamber....probably not. Life has a ton of risks. Carrying a bullet in or not in the chamber is probably not going to be the biggest decision you make.

I don’t really give a damn how he carries - just making some observations. People who think they’ll have time to chamber a round if needed are usually wrong. Carry how you’re comfortable, but I wouldn’t call it safe.

If someone needs to carry a gun unchambered to be “safe”, I likely wouldn’t want to be around them with a gun at all. Nothing at all “unsafe” about carrying hot - if you do what you’re supposed to and use common sense.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
With no intentions of dragging this thread any farther into the weeds, let me make a couple of observations about Condition 3 (Chamber Empty) carry. First off, a conceivable circumstance that might make it viable is when the user is under-trained and/or qualified, and the sidearm is a secondary weapon. Lots of military units require Condition 3 carry as a means to deal with the lowest common denominator soldier who is armed with a long-gun as a primary weapon. I can think of NO reputable firearms trainer that would endorse the practice for a personal defense handgun.

Secondly, the folks that advocate for Condition 3 carry make some erroneous assumptions. The first assumption is that they will have time to chamber a round. Watch a few Youtube videos of real deadly force confrontations and take note of how many of them allow for you to get your gun into action without consequence.

The second assumption many proponents make is that they'll be in a body position to use one or both hands to chamber a round. Getting dumped on you azz with someone on top of you might make if difficult for you to even get your gun into the fight - much less get a round chambered.

Lastly, a disproportionate number of shooter induced malfunctions actually occur when the gun is being loaded under less than ideal circumstances. Short-stroking the slide or doing something that keeps the slide from closing properly into battery is a very common occurrence when folks do it in a hurry or under duress.

Again, there are limited times and places where Condition 3 might make sense - it's just not practical or advisable when the gun is going to be used in an immediate action circumstance.

Last edited: