how far upstream do flounder get (south side of pamlico)?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Last day of flounder "season". I blinked and almost missed it. Because of the strong south wind this afternoon, I toyed around with going south of the Pamlico River to one of the creeks there (Blounts, Durhams, Campbells, etc.). Since I don't want to get beat up or beat up my Pathfinder 17t, I was curious how far upstream do the flounder go?

I understand this is kind of a "tell me where to fish" question. I understand I ought to figure this out for myself. It'll take me a while b/c I probably won't go there often given my opportunities on the north side.

Thanks either way.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know there's lots of flounder several miles up the Intercostal Waterway (at least 15-20 miles) where I lived in Florida

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I've regularly caught flounder, trout, drum, and bass in the same creek. Predatory fish are going to follow bait. I've heard of several flounder caught in the Neuse past Kinston.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Not sure if some of these are jokes or not! :) Weldon?!? If true, I'm still not going to try there... I'll for lower-hanging fruit. Lol.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I guess I've got them upstream in the bays on the north side but they seem to be wider and shorter than those on the south side. (Compare Rose Bay, Juniper Bay, etc... to those on the south side. Maybe I'm wrong. Just looking at place I'm familiar with vs those that I'm not.)

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
I wouldn't 💩 ya.
I know it was from different river and a different sound. But...........
While drift fishing the roanoke river for striper below the big rock at Weldon , the boat next to mine caught a flounder.

They even ask if I knew what the creel size was as we floated by.
I was surprised too.

Guess flounder and other fish followed the shad and striper up the river during the spawn.
Most likely they could eat the fry after the shad, striper and other species eggs hatch on the way back to salt water. JMO

golfer

Four Pointer
I saw one caught while I striper fished at Weldon believe or not.

I will vouch for that. Heard or one and then saw my cousin catch one with my own eyes. I would not believe it if I didnt see it....100% shift freshwater river at Weldon should not have flounder, but it did.

bucksnducks

Button Buck
You may want to check the regs, I believe flounder season went out yesterday 9/14.
You can still catch and release all you want though.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
There was a small fish kill in South River in the area near NC41 some years ago and dead flounder were seen floating downriver. For those not familiar with that area the South empties into the Black which empties into the Cape Fear. This is well above the tidal influence a few miles East of White Lake..

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen someone catch a flounder (didnt know him) at the weldon Boat ramp. yes the weldon boat ramp. I have also been in the boat when My buddy Kurt caught one in the Roanoke just maybe 2 miles down from weldon. That is over 120 miles up stream.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
How old is that article? I gigged right many in Sutton lake in the mid 90s . I haven't heard of any lately and had pretty much forgot about it.
how did they taste?? My best Friend is way up with cp&l/Duke (he manages a big power plant in western nc now) and he was doing work at Sutton maybe 10 years ago and he said they get in there from the water pumped out of the cape fear but there is also an intake pipe or something for the plant from the lake and it has a grate on it and he told me that flounder get sucked onto that grate and the employees would take them off of that grate. He also told me that all he ate and his employees ate tasted like crap. they thought it was due to living in freshwater.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
how did they taste?? My best Friend is way up with cp&l/Duke (he manages a big power plant in western nc now) and he was doing work at Sutton maybe 10 years ago and he said they get in there from the water pumped out of the cape fear but there is also an intake pipe or something for the plant from the lake and it has a grate on it and he told me that flounder get sucked onto that grate and the employees would take them off of that grate. He also told me that all he ate and his employees ate tasted like crap. they thought it was due to living in freshwater.
I don't recall ever eating one. I was commercial fishing at that time and sold them. I never had a complaint but most went to northern states.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I have personally caught Flounder within 100 yards of the boat ramp at Weldon. I said something to the Wardens at the top of the ramp and none were surprised.....

Reactions: DRS

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
A friend caught a black drum on the Tar River on live bait while rock fishing in Greenville while we were in college. Never seen a flounder caught further inland than Washington, but doesn’t surprise me.

Reactions: DRS