How far do you drive to turkey hunt in the Spring ???

hoyt85

Six Pointer
20 minutes to 20 hours. Drove 5,000 miles in 12 days on one trip, not counting the flight there and back. Good times.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I hunt a little locally and the spots are about 30 minutes. But most of my hunting is down east so it is 3 hours one way.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Now ask yourselves- Would you drive/fly that far for a wood goat?
Not me.
I do like what Tom Kelly said on hunting out of state. He rarely left alabama.
"I can find plenty in Alabama to whip my bony a.." :)

Reactions: jug

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not me.
2 part answer. no on wood goat and I'm bout find out how tough Kelly's birds are in 31 days patiently waiting on calender😁

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
This year I'll be driving long distances, as in 643 miles one way, and 487 miles one way. For "local" hunts I go anywhere from 84 miles to 35 miles.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not me.
No I would not drive that far but I do get more excited about hunting those Big bucks in Rockingham County than the heavy mouth gobblers.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
No I would not drive that far but I do get more excited about hunting those Big bucks in Rockingham County than the heavy mouth gobblers.
Good night Jug- You are scaring me. Are you experiencing some type of brain fog?
I feel sorry for you when you post those stand sitting shots looking out over the setups sitting and sitting and sitting.
That can't possibly be more exciting than chasing a heavy mouth gobbler?
What a waste of turkey heaven. Rock county. :)

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good night Jug- You are scaring me. Are you experiencing some type of brain fog?
I feel sorry for you when you post those stand sitting shots looking out over the setups sitting and sitting and sitting.
That can't possibly be more exciting than chasing a heavy mouth gobbler?
What a waste of turkey heaven. Rock county. :)
Those turkeys all look the same and sound the same after awhile

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Not me.
Yes. I would love to take about a month off of work and travel west covering as many states as possible. The older I get, the less likely a trip like that will happen.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Not me.
Rather a wood goat than a stupid, pea-brained, scared to death of everything, non-gobbling, bald headed bird (that I can’t seem to kill, which is probably the issue with traveling for them) 😂. That said, I’ve got some places I’d love to hunt them but I’ll save those trips for the Fall and antelope, mule deer and elk.

hoyt85

Six Pointer

Da hell you say, haha. Give me the reigns and I'll shut those heavy mouths up for you!

hoyt85

Six Pointer
Not me.

I drive 12 hours one way to chase em in the fall. If I draw a particular tag this year I'll be around 18 hours away. I don't mind driving, although those all nighters are getting harder. I'd rather jump on a plane to chase turkeys but then again I like having my own stuff without any sort of travel or time restrictions.

I still get excited about deer hunting as long as i've got my bow in my hands. However, it's nothing like turkey hunting, for me at least. The interaction and chess match is what I crave the most. I've seen a bunch of big deer over the years but it got me no more closer to killing them. I always feel like I'm behind the 8 ball sitting in a deer stand, just waiting for something to happen. Turkeys, I feel like I can go make something happen. Not saying it doesn't take patience from time to time because it does. But when I set foot in foreign ground, the topography and landscape may change but the game stays the same.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have put over 7K on the truck in a little under 3 weeks. Had a load coming home. My favorite turkey haunts are between 20 and 25 hours one way.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Rather a wood goat than a stupid, pea-brained, scared to death of everything, non-gobbling, bald headed bird (that I can’t seem to kill, which is probably the issue with traveling for them) 😂. That said, I’ve got some places I’d love to hunt them but I’ll save those trips for the Fall and antelope, mule deer and elk.
well if you ever just decide to go "out there" in the spring you'll find that they gobble fine, arent scared of their own shadow, and are even more stupid than the ones you cant kill here. Just sayin. Surely you will tire of the 4 legged critters. :)