How do you secure your climber for carrying?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
How do you connect the two halves of your climber together so they don't rattle while walking? What kind of straps. How many? Where? How do you attach your pack?

Pics if you can.

I've got a Summit Blade SD climber. The risers unscrew and collapse so it folds flat.

hawkman

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
My set up goes in my pack. When I had a fold flat climber I used a ratchet strap. I used the same strap to lock the top to the tree.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
My climber has shoulder straps. I hook my pack inside the bungie and foot straps and just wear both out. If I remember I'll try to grab a photo when I go out tomorrow.

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I use the strap that secures the top section to bottom section when in use, I also wrapped both top section and outside of bottom in paracord,,1 it prevents frame to frame contact makes it less clinky when walking ,2 never know when u need cordage. Thats on a api grand slam, 2 lone wolf is very compact and silent.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Back when I used a climber, a Buckshot Bigshot, i used rubber bungee straps pulled tight and it didn't rattle. Everything I needed fint in a fanny pack which I wore to the front.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I found some cheap dog collars and wrap them around mine......work well and just snaps together

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I should've added more details. I was waiting for the wife who was shopping, so I had time...

I have shoulder straps on mine - replaced the factory ones with those miliary surplus straps. Comfy. I use two bungee straps and now that I added some straps for keeping the two halves together in the tree (rather than the piece of rope it comes with), I cinch those tight, too.

It's the hinged "risers" that I always seem to have a problem with. There's always something swinging or scraping. I like the idea of the paracord, I guess.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I have an older summit viper. I slide the 2 halves together and use the pull strap that I use when to secure the top and bottom section when I'm climbing. As for my pack I have a hook on stand that is zip tied to the rail and I leave my pack on it.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use the cam lock style straps. They look like ratchet straps, but you just pull them tight, so it's quieter than the ratchets. press the lever and they release. I also stick my backpack on the back of the climber and use the climber like an external frame backpack.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a modified LW. I have a Wide sit and climb frame with a flip seat mod. It packs beautifully with the bungee and stabilizer straps. No noise.

If I had to put a guesstimate on it......I've probably been up 1,000+X (in a climber). My current setup is the best I know of.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Treewalker nest together and requires no straps just the friction of the foot piece inside the seat section.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
My Treewalker nest together and requires no straps just the friction of the foot piece inside the seat section.

I'm glad that works for you. There isn't enough friction on the foot piece of my Treewalker to keep the two sections together without straps.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
On my Summit Viper, I just hook the back pad straps from the top through to outer slats of the foot stand and hook them to the last slat on the tree end of the bottom section. I then wrap my tree safety rope around the two sections under the shoulder strap, clip the carabiner in the end loop and slide the prusik tight and pull the tail of the rope the opposite way around and run it through the loop a time or two. It is not a perfect solution every time but works well enough and I do not have to keep up with extra bungees or straps.

I carry everything else I need in a fanny type pack for the usual morning or evening hunts. For all day sits where I need eats and drinks, I just hook the snack pack to the back of the stand.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Ok. I don't mind looking like an idiot so I'll tell you what happened.

I bought this summit blade bc it folded flat and I could fit it in the vehicle I had at the time. I always unfold it at the tree and collapse it again when I get down. Tonight, I set up both halves and then nested the two halves like you might with a Viper. Easy peasy. Sheesh. Since the two folding parts are still locked right, I have less to secure.

We'll see how it goes in the real world tomorrow....

hawkman