How do you like your steak

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'll second mushrooms, I would eat them with about anything.. not much on onions. I may eat a few with a hamburger steak, but they're not my favorite.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I used to go to the Meadow View Steakhouse in Charlotte. Is was fantastic! T hey never had steak sauce of any kind on the table, because they believed a good steak didn't need it. You could ask for it if you wanted , but I never witnessed anyone destroying a great steak with it. The couple that started it eventually turned it over to their kids and it went down hill.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Medium rare is as done as I want it.....sweet or red onions carmalized till their little pieces of sweetness, mushrooms of course or a big dallop of "steak butter"...hell who am I kidding I take both lol......the only time my steak see's steak sauce is if someone overcooks it.

Just let it come to room temp, if doing it no marinade then salt, pepper, garlic powder....if I do a marinade I prefer this....

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Medium rare is as done as I want it.....sweet or red onions carmalized till their little pieces of sweetness, mushrooms of course or a big dallop of "steak butter"...hell who am I kidding I take both lol......the only time my steak see's steak sauce is if someone overcooks it.

Just let it come to room temp, if doing it no marinade then salt, pepper, garlic powder....if I do a marinade I prefer this....

View attachment 25524
I marinade bone-in thick pork chops in Allegro original.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thick cut ribeye for me. Medium. I like my food warm on the inside. If you can't cook it past rare without it getting tough, you started with a bad cut of meat.

Room temp, heavy salt and pepper over a HOT lump charcoal flame.

Occasionally I will throw some blue cheese butter on top as it's finishing up.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
So now on to question #2.

Add-ons

Onions, mushrooms, or something else?

I LOVE everything with mushrooms on it..
Mushrooms and grilled asparagus on the side for me. Asparagus in EVOO with salt and pepper and directly on the grill until the heads just start to char. Mushrooms in the pan with a little butter.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got alpha gal so I take any steak that would send me into anphlylaxis. But prefer rare to MR

I went through the tick ordeal. It was close to a year before I could eat red meat without any reaction.

We toss our asparagus, and pretty much any vegetable the same way dnc.

TKL

Four Pointer
I like mine medium rare and I never ruin a good steak with any type of sauce. If it is good steak it only needs salt and pepper!

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns

View attachment 25524

What is steak butter?

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I like a rare filet mignon. And it's hard to get in a restaurant. It's like they don't believe a gal means that. So I always say rare and I'm not kidding! Rubbed with Canadian Steak seasoning if I am cooking them at home. No steak sauce. Blech.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
to each there own. Course Ground Pepper, a seasoning that I like, and 3-4 minutes on each side.

I will not buy the Mexican beef that you see in some stores, nope, just won't do it. plus the few times that I've had it, it's not been good.

if you want a good steak, start with a good steak.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I would love to try the dry-aged steaks hanging at the new Harris teeter in new bern. At $20 a lb it ain't happening.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Medium... and you put anything besides salt and pepper on steak you have no business saying a word about how it’s cooked, just saying.

I used to be in that same camp but my taste buds changed my mind after blackening steaks in a big cast iron pan.

<>< Fish

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So I'm guessing it was worth the money? Where did your wife get it from?

yes it was

Harris Teeter in SOuthern Pines I believe,,,maybe Fresh Market (she bought from both stores that day),,,but the cut is the same,,,dry aged beef at 20 ish a lb - could cut it with your eyes if you looked at it hard enough and flavor to beat the cheaper stuff

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good quality rib-eye, with the largest outer band that i can find.

1.5 inches thick.

let it come to room temp, some seasoned salt, fine ground black pepper, and sometimes a dash of cayenne.

5 min on each side over a bed of 500 degree lump charcoal.

bring inside and place in oven on "Keep Warm" until the mashed taters are done. Allows the meat to rest before cutting and keeps it warm without cooking it enough to worry about.

stir fry some onions with salt and a dash of cayenne in the cast iron pan and dump them on top of the steak.

waitup

Four Pointer
Medium rare, salt and pepper. Cooking in a Sous vide takes the challenge out of it and you can sear it in 30 sec per side on a smoking hot cast iron pan. I was a grill purist until I tried this.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I prep my steaks with a little Montreal steak seasoning, tad garlic powder, and then spray butter over it. I cook mine on indirect heat until around internal temp of 120 degrees and then I turn the grill WAY up to over 600 and then 10 seconds per side sear. I'll add blue cheese crumbs to the top of mine, but not the mrs. I love to cook mine in the cast iron skillet but the MRS wants hers to have grill marks. I let the steaks rest at least 10 minutes, and I NEVER put any sauces on the table! I love mushrooms and onions added also, plus I always cook asparagus on steak nights.

Ribeyes are my favorite.