How do you access your range finder while hunting?

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’m not curious on how to use a rangefinder. Rather how fellow bowhunters stow one during hunts or access it when a deer does what deer do…. the unpredictable at times. I can think of many times when I’ve had opportunities to range a deer that took a path less chosen. -Or- one not expected that I’ve not previously ranged. I’m good with judging yardages. But I’m not comfortable enough with my bow setup (unless the deer is 20yds or in) with letting an arrow fly unless I’m absolute certain on yardage.

slugoo

Eight Pointer
I’m not curious on how to use a rangefinder. Rather how fellow bowhunters stow one during hunts or access it when a deer does what deer do…. the unpredictable at times. I can think of many times when I’ve had opportunities to range a deer that took a path less chosen. -Or- one not expected that I’ve not previously ranged. I’m good with judging yardages. But I’m not comfortable enough with my bow setup (unless the deer is 20yds or in) with letting an arrow fly unless I’m absolute certain on yardage.
I guess it also depends on what you're situation is. I hunt on the ground exclusively (planning to fix that with my summer job money) and my pocket works fine. In a stand I will most likely change to having a holster on my belt or looping a lanyard on my binoharness. Just move slowly and access should not be an issue when it comes to keeping a deer from spooking. I understand your discomfort with shots over 20 yards and ranging appropriately, its probably a good thing that you care about the shot that much.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

well I've done rangefinder storage in my pockets (pants, cargo, coat, etc),,, on a lanyard and tucked into my shirt/jacket,,,and the pouch on a chest rig,,

the chest rig pouch works really well and is how I will use them for now on,,,,,it's right there near my hand when I am in a ready position (bow up, right hand near string), easy to access, easy to restow,,all with minimal movement for the application you discuss,,,

lots of variety of them out there,,, I happened to chose Marsupial (as did others) but you can buy any bino harness and then get a rangefinder pocket to attach

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What I like best in addition to what @woodmoose just described is that with it on my bino chest rig it's always there. I don't always need my rangefinder but I don't go hunting without my binos. One less thing to remember to grab.

Have a pouch on my bino harness it has a lanyard for the range finder
Same here. I went to the stone mountain set up in 2021 and loved it for both the binos and my range finder. Benefits, easy access, same place every time, attached, covered and secured while walking or climbing.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I don’t really. I zap some stuff when I hang the stand and again after first light (unless my shot was then). That being said my harness has a binocular bungee kinda set up with a clip. I just clip it to that if needed. Heck for some fixed locations I’ve been known to place things in my shooting lane(s) at known distances. Everything from surveyors flags to just a rock or stick. I don’t feed though and rarely do the deer cooperate with that setup.

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
Pre range when setting up your stand in a 360 if you can. Use markers like painting dots or lineman’s tape of different color for different distances.

If not as daylight permits, range marker trees, stumps or bushes so you can focus on the deer.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
I ranges areas once I set up, don't wait until the deer show up...Once they show up, I focus on them getting within my range and on the right angle to shoot...
Same here… Though I once read an article advocating for ranging a deer as a matter of procedure as it forces the hunter to slow down, calm down, and follow good form.

I loop the basic case it come with through the under-arm strap of my bino harness.