How do I catch Grass Carp?

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I have tried Wooley Buggers on the Fly Rod. Sweet Corn, Wheaties, Bread, and Red Worms on the spinning rod.
Any good, solid suggestions?

Have you ever tried any of the european methods for carp fishing? Carp fishing is huge across the pond. Its a whole 'nother world. I am starting to get into the European method for carp fishing and it looks to be really fun. Check out www.korda.co.uk
and youtube, you might find your new obsession, lol.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I have spread canned sweet corn and dough balls and they just swam across the chum.
I have tried something equivalent to that Hair Rig. I think I had a #10 hook and they would not buy it.
thank you for the link.
I had a buddy from the UK and his Dad kept me informed about their methods. I think I need to try them.

But do these Carp eat the Maggots or are they just grass grabbing fish?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They will eat anything as they get large. They become prolific moochers in ponds and love fish food.

They will eat just about anything. They are omnivores so they will eat insects, plants, and smaller fish once they are larger, but not very often. They are not a predatory fish, but they will prey on a smaller baitfish very very ocassionally. Good luck to you, they are very mysterious fish. Some days you can throw everything you have at them and they won't take and some days they will take everything they come across.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I have seen them MANY times tugging and pulling the reeds off the bank. Then swimming off with the reeds in the mouth.
I have snagged them by mistake, and you talk about a wild ride! But to catch them regularly, would be a real treat!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I had a buddy who caught the hell out of grass carp with a fly rod. He tied his own flies. He made “flies” that looked like blades of grass, he made’emtgat looked like pieces of of white bread but his go to fly was one he tied that looked just like a piece of dog or fish food.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Saw a bunch of them under a muscadine vine in Mt. Island Lake some years ago and they were vacuuming them up as fast as they fell when the wind blew. Don't know if grass or common but they were definitely carp.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
If you can find Cicada's hatching in trees over water you'll find Carp sucking them up as soon as they hit the water. During that time they are easy to catch using a fly rod and any top water bug. A 20 pound carp on a fly rod is memorable...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fish food, and big buggy flies are the only thing I've caught them on. I've snagged them a couple of times though.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I'll have to try the TRIX with Fruit Juice or the Grape Tomatoes.
Anybody ever catch them at Sutton? I have seen them tugging, pulling on the grass cane, and swimming off with long strand of grass in their mouth.
I have tried the Woolly Bugger many times, but no luck.