How did you come up with your forum name??

strut buster

Eight Pointer
I cut my teeth on big woods Mississippi public turkeys. I hunted them with reckless abandon. Small by way of example is that for two years running, me and a buddy took off our jr/sr. prom tuxedos, put on our camo, drove 1.5 hours, carried/drug a john boat 1.5 miles through the woods, paddled across the Sunflower river on MS Delta public land, and doubled. I got my ass whipped plenty, but killed a ton of turkeys. Still, I can't count on all my fingers and toes and yours too all the gobbler that were better than me. Moved to NC and pretty much realized that the only thing that would prevent me from killing a target gobbler here was property lines. Still believe that, and made quite a few of you NC boys believe that, too.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I cut my teeth on big woods Mississippi public turkeys. I hunted them with reckless abandon. Small by way of example is that for two years running, me and a buddy took off our jr/sr. prom tuxedos, put on our camo, drove 1.5 hours, carried/drug a john boat 1.5 miles through the woods, paddled across the Sunflower river on MS Delta public land, and doubled. I got my ass whipped plenty, but killed a ton of turkeys. Still, I can't count on all my fingers and toes and yours too all the gobbler that were better than me. Moved to NC and pretty much realized that the only thing that would prevent me from killing a target gobbler here was property lines. Still believe that, and made quite a few of you NC boys believe that, too.
You ever get some free time you need hit Pisgah and get away from them property lines?

strut buster

Eight Pointer
You ever get some free time you need hit Pisgah and get away from them property lines?

Travel ball/rec ball combined in the spring gets in the way of that. Let me know when you're going and I might have to burn some vacation. Been looking for you on the lease. I can say deer movement/sightings in general have been great, seen double digits in one sit multiple times, which never happens there. Shooter buck sighting have been slim, though.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back in the 90's, there was a HEATED dog hunting full blown argument going on the original ncdeer.com website. I believe people were asking to meet up in person somewhere to solve their differences lol. I just knew I HAD to get involved lol. I had never created a login name before, and spent about 5 seconds thinking about it, looked at the TV, NC State was playing (probably losing) and I just created that name to get into the endless, eventually locked, argument.

Planned to go to State at one point, but never attended classes there.

I would LOVE to change my name now since it implies something that is untrue.

Can't get the mods to agree on "iceman" since I am very calm when hunting, or "fist pump" since I like to do that on my kill pics. My family nick named me Goober, maybe they'll let me change mine to that?
I remember that mess with Montana buckmaster. Some of those guys were going to meet up and Duke it out in a parking lot.
Good times...:cool::LOL:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My primary hobby for the last couple decades has been collecting vintage fishing lures. I am a member of the National Fishing Lure Collectors Club and the Carolina Antique Tackle Collectors. Those in the hobby refer to all lures as 'baits', and stiab is that spelled backwards.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Travel ball/rec ball combined in the spring gets in the way of that. Let me know when you're going and I might have to burn some vacation. Been looking for you on the lease. I can say deer movement/sightings in general have been great, seen double digits in one sit multiple times, which never happens there. Shooter buck sighting have been slim, though.
Been working most days so haven't deer hunted on lease at all. Few times been off in Nov poured rain glad y'all seeing some though. Still figuring out my spring sched looking into Ohio and either Wis. or Tenn. But I'll most likely take off whole first week NC to hunt mtns your more than welcome to come anytime. Did finally kill one up at cabin last year

Aythya

Eight Pointer
I enjoy water fowling and training retrievers, Aythya is the genus name for the twelve species of diving ducks.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
My primary hobby for the last couple decades has been collecting vintage fishing lures. I am a member of the National Fishing Lure Collectors Club and the Carolina Antique Tackle Collectors. Those in the hobby refer to all lures as 'baits', and stiab is that spelled backwards.

Man I’ve been wondering about yours and pimpscoe’s lol... 1 down 1 to go Hehehehe

It’s so obvious now lol

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Been working most days so haven't deer hunted on lease at all. Few times been off in Nov poured rain glad y'all seeing some though. Still figuring out my spring sched looking into Ohio and either Wis. or Tenn. But I'll most likely take off whole first week NC to hunt mtns your more than welcome to come anytime. Did finally kill one up at cabin last year
Never hunted it, just went around the house.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Never hunted it, just went around the house.
It Was just pure luck I went up to Wilkes gameland and wind was tornado strength so instead coming home went there started at bottom and ended walking to top gate little before 10 struck him came straight in 9 inch thin beard 2 year old. Coulda saved lot walking by parking at top figured with wind woulda been low in creek

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
1984-86 I was stationed on okinawa,,,,,the Korean Peninsula (as it was several times since) was fairly hot back then and even though it wasn't our main country for operations, we were the closest Special Forces element to it in the event that it got hot again,,,and since we had MC-130s just down at Kadena and Clark AFB (Philipines) we were set,,,,,,

our main mission back then was what they called "Special Reconnaissance",,,,,think of it as recon in so deep it's more strategic than tactical or operational,,,,,

anyhow, to prep for that my Team practiced a LOT of two man recon patrols and long range movements,,, the fellow I was teamed with was a real ninja,,,and we spent so much time together on these type events that when we were around each other no words needed to be spoke,,,,heck we often slipped between the perimeter of Marine Corps elements and ended up in the middle of their patrol bases/ bivouac sites,,,,fun times,,,,

anyhow,,,one day someone asked him how the two of us moved through the woods so well,,,he was "normal big" (for SF dudes) at 5"11/ 6' and 185 lbs and I was me,,,6'3" 225,,,,

he said "you ever see a moose in the woods? As big as they are, they slip throigh the woods like a wraith if they want to,,,we are the wood moose of this here outfit",,,,,

after that he called me "woodmoose" as a calll sign,,,,

and I've kept it ever since

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
Uwharrie was the first place I started deer hunting. My late step-father took me there in the
early 1960's when it was called the Uwharrie Reservation. You had to drive down that way
back then to get a chance to see a deer, even seeing one was enough to keep a person telling
the story all year.

It was a fenced in area and the warden, Mr. Ollie Thompson was in charge.
He was a legend among game wardens and poachers back then.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I work for the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture as a soil scientist. I dog hunted as a guest with a club up in Warren County once, when I lived there. The huntmaster couldn't remember my name, but knew I worked with USDA, so he kept calling me "Agriculture Man" through the radio. When I started to join the forum, back in about 2001 or so, I thought "Agriculture Man" was a bit long, and, well, just didn't flow well. So, being a bit more specific, and flowing better, I settled on "Soilman". I use it for all my forums but one, and wish I'd used it there now also.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My first foray into social media was Archery Talk so I tried to come up with something appropriate for archery. QuietButDeadly is was and as they say, the rest is history. It has been shortened to QBD on a few forums but is the full length on others. Unique and easy to remember.

klim

Twelve Pointer
My hunting buddies one day started calling me 'klim' while we where on a dog hunt and it just stuck. Funny thing is, I actually have a great great uncle named 'clem' that I didn't know about until years later. My uncle and great aunt said I act just like him (keep in mind I've never met the man and my hunting buddies didn't know about him either, pretty wild huh??). I guess I need to change my screen name to 'Clem' instead of 'Klim'

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I live in Yancey County. Grew up without any outdoorsmen role models or family members. Spent many years getting in fights and causing trouble while all the decent kids were hunting, fishing and trapping. I always admired their discipline over the years. Jumped in with both feet about a year n half ago by way of trout fishing. Now I’m fishing, hunting and trapping more or less year round within the parameters of the regulations. I don’t get in trouble anymore. It has changed my life and got me in touch w spirituality in the outdoors. Trying my best to fill a big game tag. Really addicted to beaver trapping also. But I’m still a GREENHORN. Also starting an electrical apprenticeship in January so the word has double meaning

FowlmooD13

Button Buck
Named my first boat the "FowlmooD". Later on in life when the kids arrived FowlmooD Guide service was created. Since I do all the work.

kibo

Button Buck
Kibo was a Smokey River Bluetick I had . Good bear and hawg dog that was cold nosed. Bad to run the back track as hot as the front end. As he got old he became a good pup trainer. So I am a lot like he was .I too went the wrong way I life a few times but found my Lord . Now enjoying training my grandsons the ways of the woods and water.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
My first foray into social media was Archery Talk so I tried to come up with something appropriate for archery. QuietButDeadly is was and as they say, the rest is history. It has been shortened to QBD on a few forums but is the full length on others. Unique and easy to remember.

To be honest QBD, your meaning is not the one that originally came to mind but as much time as we have been together, I'm glad I was wrong.