How are they tracking us?

Einstein

Six Pointer
They are watching and listening through texts, emails and yes, the microphone. If your phone is within earshot, whether it is in use or asleep, it is listening so it may target ads for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
If you have removed the battery from your smart phone, you still have work to do..(PS, it's MUCH smaller and harder to find!).

A lady at our office refuses to get a smart phone. Flip phone till she passes. But talks about anything and everything in the world. She called me into her office to "announce" shes interested in something remote. Like "centipede infestation"..... I laughed her off......

Hours later?

NEVER will I laugh at her again!

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I also LOVE that I can stay at family or friends' homes (Which I RARELY do) and they have Alexa........I just walk into the kitchen area around 5:30 am and announce "Alexa, Play Prong Snap your fingers snap your necks!"

And within 2-3 seconds.......

YEAH!!!! I OWN THAT HOUSE!!! No voice recognition, just a stranger in the house asking alexa to play something.

I am now not invited back to like 8 different addresses on Google Maps :(

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Was at work talking about growing pineapple from store bought pineapple, we talked about it for about 10 minutes before I decided I wanted to look into it more. Pull out the phone and get “how do” typed out before it auto generates “how do I grow pineapples from fruit”. Damn them Silicon Valley nerds, damn them

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’m fairly certain my camera is hacked. Using this forum, an ad popped up for something my wife bought that was sitting on the counter. I’ve never searched for it or talked about it....

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m fairly certain my camera is hacked. Using this forum, an ad popped up for something my wife bought that was sitting on the counter. I’ve never searched for it or talked about it....

Check your apps, as that is an area you are most vulnerable. Many require access to your files, camera and gallery included..

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
keep the cookies cleared and turn every thing off when not in use.. YES turn the speaker and the phone OFF!! People are to used to using the cell phones now as their home phone.. GO back to using that old remote phone for 100% of your calls only use that cell as a emergency. Stopped 99% of the BS coming in. Plus it will put you and your family to having more face to face conversations!!

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been clicking on the "remind me later" option of a notice that has been popping up on my phone telling me a software update is available. Decided this morning I may just need to allow the download and install.....Until I read the terms. Included in said terms.............access to files.. nope, I'll just keep running on the older software..

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do. The permissions you allow is a quick read. When I see "allow access to files, address book, photos" etc, that is the end for me. I go no further.

wl704

Ten Pointer
You explicitly agree on the EULA for most phone and apps to what they have access to....you know that agreement you don't read.

How they track you or use your data is more than the permissions, cookies and such on your phone.

But, by all means, feel free to believe you have any privacy. Don't read up on companies that buy and sell your data, your activity tracked on the vendor side, beacons, geofences, facial recognition, advanced analytics, or modern marketing, set top cable boxes, server-side cookies, etc.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
2 new ones popped up in my emails this morning that have never done it before.

Lancaster Archery and Apex Ammo.
I looked at an item on each of their websites yesterday about 8 pm, this morning I had an email from each asking if I needed more info, or wanted to add each item to a cart for purchase.

Wish I could fire back an email stating that I'd buy when ready, until then pizz off...but we all know you can't reply to their bot mailer...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
But, by all means, feel free to believe you have any privacy. Don't read up on companies that buy and sell your data, your activity tracked on the vendor side, beacons, geofences, facial recognition, advanced analytics, or modern marketing, set top cable boxes, server-side cookies, etc.

Not too many folks expect much privacy for official business done by an app or website. If I research something on a website and get an ad for it, that makes sense. But when a website starts sending me ads for something I discussed with another individual face to face, or I get notices from a 3rd party that my toilet paper only has 2 turns left on the roll, then I think they have well overstepped their bounds.

wl704

Ten Pointer
°°°But when a website starts sending me ads for something I discussed with another individual face to face, or I get notices from a 3rd party that my toilet paper only has 2 turns left on the roll, then I think they have well overstepped their bounds.

You think so... But it's not against law, you likely have agreed to it (via eula and app usage) and others (apparently) don't think they've overstepped...in fact they believe they are providing you a needed service.

Twisted, aint it.