How’s everyone coon season been so far?

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I’ve treed a few so far I’ve also been working with my pup. I think I’m finally taking her in the right direction she’s showing very good potential. Also looking I’m looking in to getting my first squirrel dog if anybody has any suggestions or tips they are greatly appreciated

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ive had some good nights and had some nights that made me question why I was still feeding them. Will start going more now that deer season is over.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Ive had some good nights and had some nights that made me question why I was still feeding them. Will start going more now that deer season is over.

I Think we’ve all had nights like that. I’m with now that deer season is over. It’s opened up more property for me

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spent too much time running deer up to now. Only been coon hunting a handful of times. That is fixing to change.

if you are going to get into squirrel hunting with a cur or feist your biggest change will be you aren’t hunting hounds and how you hunt with and act with the dog. Seen many that never could figure that out.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Spent too much time running deer up to now. Only been coon hunting a handful of times. That is fixing to change.

if you are going to get into squirrel hunting with a cur or feist your biggest change will be you aren’t hunting hounds and how you hunt with and act with the dog. Seen many that never could figure that out.

That’s what I’ve been thinking too. I’ve read some on feist being more of a sight hound vs scent hound.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I’ve trained several hounds But never successfully for squirrel mainly coon and bear. So the feist and cur dogs are going to be new for me

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Depends on feist, many use their nose. Just depends on the strain.

I know some people that successfully coon hunt them so obviously some do use their nose more than others.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Right every dogs different. Looking for ether a feist or cur now and will soon start training I’ll keep everyone updated on progress