House foundation issues

country

Ten Pointer
10 year old brick house with crawl space that appears to be having foundation issues. Seeing some cracks in sheetrock and doors not closing properly. Not seeing any gaps on foundation piers. Located in northern Johnston county.

Does anyone have any experience and repair company recommendations? Trying to avoid blindly picking repair company.

Thanks

Last edited:

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm not close logistically but with the updated codes a 10 year old house shouldn't be having foundation issues. Look around and get several quotes and opinions. Hopefully something simple like the framer didn't properly support a load bearing wall or a sub got sawsall happy.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First step I'd take is to look on www.websoilsurvey.gov Find out what the soil type is on your property. Some soils like "Enon" are what is called "high shrink swell" due to the kind of clay in them. These soils are known to swell when wet, and shrink up when dry and will eventually cause cracking in foundations, walls, sidewalks, etc. If that is the problem, you will likely need to find someone to dig out this soil around your foundation, repair the damage and backfill with different material. I've never had any experience with them, but I know RamJack has been in business for a long time dealing with issues like this. If you can find the soil type, let me know and I can tell you if it is a high shrink swell soil or not.

country

Ten Pointer
According to soil map it shows boundary of PaD and CeB. Soil map shows boundary line running over house on aerial view.

Not a soil guru but remember red clay when they dug the foundation.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
^^^^^^ +1. went with them for one corner of the house 12 yrs ago. May need to go to them again for another area now. No movement on first area but not cheap.

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Ronnie , 919-738-2810
It's been a while since I used him but this guy knows what he's doing .

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Do you have gutters? Are they functioning properly? Are all sides of the house properly graded?

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
This could be a foundational or a structural
(Framing members ) problem. I would contact a reputable licensed GC and get their assessment.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
According to soil map it shows boundary of PaD and CeB. Soil map shows boundary line running over house on aerial view.

Not a soil guru but remember red clay when they dug the foundation.
PaD and CeB are the symbols for soil types.
PaD is most likely Pacolet on 8-15% slope and CeB is most likely Cecil on 2-8% slope. Neither are high shrink swell soils...which is good It is possible to have an inclusion of high shrink swell soils, but that is likely not the case.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For any of you guys that are interested or want an easy way to see what soils you are located on, you can download the following site/app onto your phones or into google earth on your computer. Then just click on the area and the soil name pops up with further links for more details.