Hot sauce from garden peppers?

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, I need one too! Was gonna google, but would rather get one from someone here that makes it.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
thread on this in the recipe section,,,,may ought to start there,,,,,

almost did, but don’t plan on including in “wild game” in the sauce, and didn’t want to break any rules 😁. Really I just thought I may reach more here since not everyone looks in there as often

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Without a lot of blending agents added I've never had a homemade one not separate.
Easier to get a good storebought that you already like and spice it up.
Vinegar with peppers and spices is good stuff but can't function as hot sauce.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Without a lot of blending agents added I've never had a homemade one not separate.
Easier to get a good storebought that you already like and spice it up.
Vinegar with peppers and spices is good stuff but can't function as hot sauce.

I can’t speak for WNC but in my case, it’s more about doing something useful with something you enjoyed growing.

Xanthum gum is cheap and solves the separation problem. It’s only one ingredient and is also found in nearly anything you find with a liquid in it at the grocery store.

Not sure if the vinegar was a side comment towards my pic, but either way, I don’t have a recipe at the moment that’s proven, but no vinegar involved at this point. That’s a brine solution the peppers are fermenting in. They’ll stay in for 4 weeks or so until they smell “right” and then strained, blended and adjusted from there. Currently it’s 4c water, 3tbsp sea/kosher salt, half a quart of chopped cayennes, 7-8 cloves of crushed and peeled garlic, remainder of head space filled with butternut squash for a sweet note, and brine solution poured over top.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can’t speak for WNC but in my case, it’s more about doing something useful with something you enjoyed growing.

Xanthum gum is cheap and solves the separation problem. It’s only one ingredient and is also found in nearly anything you find with a liquid in it at the grocery store.

Not sure if the vinegar was a side comment towards my pic, but either way, I don’t have a recipe at the moment that’s proven, but no vinegar involved at this point. That’s a brine solution the peppers are fermenting in. They’ll stay in for 4 weeks or so until they smell “right” and then strained, blended and adjusted from there. Currently it’s 4c water, 3tbsp sea/kosher salt, half a quart of chopped cayennes, 7-8 cloves of crushed and peeled garlic, remainder of head space filled with butternut squash for a sweet note, and brine solution poured over top.
The vinegar was mentioned because some folks think peppersauce and hotsauce are similar or even the same thing when they are nothing alike.
Your recipe sounds good. How long do you age the final product?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
The vinegar was mentioned because some folks think peppersauce and hotsauce are similar or even the same thing when they are nothing alike.
Your recipe sounds good. How long do you age the final product?

No idea, second attempt and first year trying it. First attempt was with green jalapeños and was bitter. I’ll check the smell of this batch starting around 2-3 weeks and go from there. When they smell good, which is what I’ve read on several recipes, remove and proceed from there.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
My Grandmother used to make kick ass pepper sauce using vinegar and peppers but for the life of me I can't duplicate it. I've tried everything I know but have failed for years so here's hoping that someone comes up with something.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I make a fresh Jalapeno dipping sauce.
Needed :
Good blender or food processor
Jalapenos
Light tasting Olive Oil
Avocado
Lime juice (I like fresh hand squeezed)
Optional :
Dash of salt
Fine minced Garlic
Chopped Cilantro (fine)

Destem and deseed peppers. Slice into pieces. Amount of Avocado depends on how many peppers you use and how hot you want it.
Throw peppers into food processor and begin to puree them. Add just enough Light tasting Olive oil to assist in this. Keep adding peppers until you have enough to add in some Avocado. Usually from 1/4 to 1/2.
Taste test for your desired amount of heat.
At this point, you can add optional items and some Lime juice.(for color retention and freshness)
I like a pinch of salt, fine chopped cilantro (just enough to taste) and just a hint of fine chopped Garlic.
Keep pureeing the mix until you get a very emulsified concoction. Adding Avocado and or Olive oil (just a little at a time) until you achieve desired consistency.
The mixture should be nearly flowable and appear slightly grainy.
Enjoy with Tortilla chips and/or add to taco's etc...
I hope ya'll enjoy this !

Last edited:

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Another idea I tried last year, take the hot peppers and remove seeds. Dehydrate and then grind them. Makes a great little seasoning for chili, tacos, etc.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Anybody have any ideas for using reapers or trinidad scorpions?
We planted a few of both this year and i hate to waste em.
Yea, they are hotter than the devils peter

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Another idea I tried last year, take the hot peppers and remove seeds. Dehydrate and then grind them. Makes a great little seasoning for chili, tacos, etc.
Currently what I’m doing with my surplus of habaneros

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Who has a good recipe for making hot sauce from peppers out of the garden they'd share?
Yes sir, made Sriracha type hot sauce, somewhat on accident. I added Garlic, a small tomato sitting around, probably an onion, a few banana peppers that I had around, and a heap of cayennes peppers. I didn't set out to make Srirachca, just wanted a hot sauce to process the massive amount of peppers I had.

This is the recipe I vaguely followed. https://artzyfoodie.com/homemade-hot-sauce/

I sauteed everything in a pan with a little olive oil, then added water and cooked the water down, then blended it, then added vinegar.

My excess Jalapenos I either smoked or dehydrated.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anybody have any ideas for using reapers or trinidad scorpions?
We planted a few of both this year and i hate to waste em.
Yea, they are hotter than the devils peter
sell them on e-bay....prices are crazy for that hot stuff

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns