Horseshoe Age?

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Found this in a run-off about 12" deep. I checked a few sites and it appears to be from the early 1800's but I really have no clue. I found this close to the Daniel Boone trail on private land.
Anyone here have any knowledge on the subject?

Attachments

• 20190413_114057.jpg
    20190413_114057.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 105

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
curious, what signs does it show to point to something so early? I would have no idea but I would think that a steel object buried in the ground would quickly deteriorate due to minerals in the ground or being in water.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
curious, what signs does it show to point to something so early? I would have no idea but I would think that a steel object buried in the ground would quickly deteriorate due to minerals in the ground or being in water.
I did a few searches for this style of shoe and it keeps showing up as a popular style during the early 1800s. Again, I have no clue but very curious about it.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
You could do a little reverse electrolysis on it to clean it up a bit. It would be easier to age.
From the pic it does look hand made, so it could very well be 1800s.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
All I know is if the shoe fits, wear it! You need the old dude with the straw hat from Pawn Stars to come in and evaluate. Certainly would be cool if it were that old.

Last edited:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
There appears to be the remains of a forged groove running around the outside edge of the shoe. If so, it's most likely machine forged and also likely that it isn't that old.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
There appears to be the remains of a forged groove running around the outside edge of the shoe. If so, it's most likely machine forged and also likely that it isn't that old.
That's an optical illusion. That is a section on both sides that have flaked off.