Hornyheads?

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I've got a small river that runs through my hunting property that is filled with hornyheads. It also has some other fish in it, but hornyheads are the main fish. As soon as I cast with a night crawler or red worm I catch one. I've caught over 200 in a two hour span and my kids love to catch them. My question is what is the biggest one that yall have ever caught and would they be good for largemouth bait?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My question is what is the biggest one that yall have ever caught and would they be good for largemouth bait?

most in the 6" range but did catch one 8" once,,,

yes, should work for bass,,, I know the pike like them,,,,,,,

but more importantly,,, perfect your technique with all them there and then slip down to GA to fish the tourney,,, you'd be a RINGER and walk away with it!!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Have caught them in the South fork of the New River up near Todd but not in those numbers and size was nothing remarkable. Got tired of dragging the boat on their rock piles when the creek gets low.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
most in the 6" range but did catch one 8" once,,,

yes, should work for bass,,, I know the pike like them,,,,,,,

but more importantly,,, perfect your technique with all them there and then slip down to GA to fish the tourney,,, you'd be a RINGER and walk away with it!!

I saw that a few days ago. Looks like fun, but you would have thought that the hornyhead queen would have been a little prettier.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a small river that runs through my hunting property that is filled with hornyheads. It also has some other fish in it, but hornyheads are the main fish. As soon as I cast with a night crawler or red worm I catch one. I've caught over 200 in a two hour span and my kids love to catch them. My question is what is the biggest one that yall have ever caught and would they be good for largemouth bait?

Biggest one I ever caught was 13 inches or so. good bait for anything big. Bass, cats etc.

Here is a couple from the ENO.....these were pushing 12 inches....

DSCN0006.JPGDSCN0007.JPG

slugoo

Eight Pointer
I've caught a few in the Ararat River in Surry County. I'm not sure they were horny heads, but the heads were definitely spiky. My dad did some research and found that it was some kind of endemic species. I think Roanoke was in the name but I'm not sure of the rest. Biggest was about 6 or 7 inches.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Creek Chubsucker,,, no dark lateral line,,,,,,,

2nd picture has "horney growths on head" 7 rays in anal fin and 8 rays in dorsal fin ...also the lateral line is absent in some adults. quote from a description " It also has a dark lateral stripe and a spot at the base of the tail, which is faint or absent in some adults. ''

Don’t know if they make good bait or not but that’s a fish ya don’t hear much about and I thought my 80 year old friend was crazy until I started catching them in a branch at our house years ago....still do it ....lots of fun

Ive caught a few in the local creeks ! But the answer to your question is will they catch bass yes ! Is it the best bait for bass NO!