Hornady SST 6.5 Creedmoor Experience

justwin24

Six Pointer
1st buck I shot this year with my new creedmoor using Hornady SST's was slightly quartering to me. I ended up hitting it low on the back of the shoulder. The bullet exited out the same side with a huge hole plugged with guts after going through the stomach. I found a lot of blood and there were handfuls of it's stomach contents on the along the trail. It was if the bullet bounced off after the initial impact.

Once I saw stomach contents I backed out. 2 hours and 200 yards later I jumped the deer and put another shot in the neck.

Been using a .280 with corelocks for years and on a similar shot I would expected to find the bullet in the deer and a much shorter track job.

The 2nd buck I shot was textbook broadside behind the shoulder, both lungs destroyed, and great exit wound.

Was the results of the first buck typical with that type kind of bullet?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve tried a few offerings from Hornady and been less than impressed. Had one slightly quartering to and instead of the normal pass through I’d expect there was a sever deflection and the bullet exited at about a 40’ degree angle from the ent wound. Also tried the Eld line and it was better but still lack luster, went back to 120gn fed trophy coppers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I'm shooting the 129 american whitetail.
Shot 3 deer this year with it and all were DRT.
One shot high shoulder I found the bullet, how I do not know. There was a small hole in and about 4" hole out but the bullet was in the skin on the out side. Must have been ribs or bone that caused the blow out.20181130_180735.jpg20181130_180719.jpg
Last was a neck shot.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I’ve tried a few offerings from Hornady and been less than impressed. Had one slightly quartering to and instead of the normal pass through I’d expect there was a sever deflection and the bullet exited at about a 40’ degree angle from the ent wound. Also tried the Eld line and it was better but still lack luster, went back to 120gn fed trophy coppers

I love the accuracy of the SST's. Typically I get a nice clover pattern with bullet holes touching out of my 30-06 Tikka T3. However, I just had my first mishap which has left me less than impressed also with that bullet. I recently shot a 350lb black bear with 165g SST's out of my 30-06 at 85yrds. She was slightly quartering towards me but I put the bullet perfectly behind the shoulder. Had the bullet gone straight through, it should have easily been a double lung shot. Well an hour later and no blood to be found, we found her still alive about 200 yrds away and had to put two more shots in her to finish her off. Somehow the bullet had deflected off of something (we really couldnt tell for certain but looked to be a rib, definitely not the shoulder) and did a 90 degree turn and exited through the front of the chest. Didn't even appear to hit a lung. The entry hole was about an inch behind the shoulder mid way up the body and her ribs were shattered but no other noticeable damage upon field dressing.

It really left me scratching my head on what that bullet did. I used to shoot Remington Coreloks and had excellent performance every time but not as good of accuracy. Not bad, just not as good.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Every single deer (15 or so) Ive shot with my 300 win mag using 150gn SSTs has been DRT. The 200 lb Missouri buck that I killed at 220 to 230 yards with an SST went nowhere but my freezer. I won't shoot anything else.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I shoot the Hornady precision Eld-X they have performed great for me. I’ve had deer make it 20-30yds max but that’s behind the shoulder shots (shoulders=burger). I shoot the Creedmoor for its accuracy and low recoil. If I feel I need the extra thump I will get the .270wsm or the .300win out.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Every single deer (15 or so) Ive shot with my 300 win mag using 150gn SSTs has been DRT. The 200 lb Missouri buck that I killed at 220 to 230 yards with an SST went nowhere but my freezer. I won't shoot anything else.

I think that’s the crux of it..... my experiences with the sst’s have been with the 2400-2700fps range

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
It just hit bone/funny/odd
Bullets can come out the same side of entry if it hits bones just right (or wrong)

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I have seen 2 failures with SST bullets. Both were 150 .308 win. One deflected off the shoulder and the other blew up leaving a most zero blood. I was lucky to find the animal. I cannot use them on game again with good conscience.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
They have historically performed ideally in my 308...150 superformance...this year, however, I’ve had 3 bullet failures from 40-175 yds

BWard

Button Buck
I have been using 125 SST in 300BLK for a few years. ~2100fps. Roughly 10 deer at 100 yards or less. Always wait for a broadside shot and always an exit hole. Blood trails have been varied but none ran more than 50 yards and one DRT.