Hoping for a Good Hatch

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
that should be correct but all the poult sightings now and the birds behavior early in the season makes me wonder if it was not indeed an "early" process this season due to the lack of winter.
I agree.......according to the hen sightings we had the last two weeks......they were nested up hard on our place in Halifax and a few hatchlings spotted the final weekend of the season.......pretty sure this last week should have took care of our hatch for the most part.......early start......early finish

survival is a different topic !

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if that were true, turkeys would be extinct. it's not helping but it's not cold enough nor is it raining long enough for the hypothermia theory to wipe them out. flooding in the eastern counties i can see destroying nests and poults that can't take flight.
yeah 60 degree rains wont make them extinct.
LC is so drama filled he really does need to work for the old ncwrc hatch analysts. the ones that had us with poor hatches every year but tripling of the population in the same breath. :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
if that were true, turkeys would be extinct. it's not helping but it's not cold enough nor is it raining long enough for the hypothermia theory to wipe them out. flooding in the eastern counties i can see destroying nests and poults that can't take flight.
Unfortunately for end state I hunt we getting rain all way through Fri and in 40s next 3 nights not getting out of 40s wed 50s for highs other 2 days oh and several flash flood advisories from last night till Fri night. Only hope is majority haven't hatched in mtns which I'm fairly sure ain't but still gonna hurt we have several areas already on down side. The rain I don't worry so much but I'd like have y'alls temps for this week

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
yeah 60 degree rains wont make them extinct.
LC is so drama filled he really does need to work for the old ncwrc hatch analysts. the ones that had us with poor hatches every year but tripling of the population in the same breath. :)
Easy now...he is just staying in tune with “there are no turkeys left...especially on Uwharrie”. Meanwhile, he is out killing them left and right along with his sons

I respect his effective game of deterring hunters and killing turkeys where there are none😂

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Unfortunately for end state I hunt we getting rain all way through Fri and in 40s next 3 nights not getting out of 40s wed 50s for highs other 2 days oh and several flash flood advisories from last night till Fri night. Only hope is majority haven't hatched in mtns which I'm fairly sure ain't but still gonna hurt we have several areas already on down side. The rain I don't worry so much but I'd like have y'alls temps for this week
I think the mountains hatch is a week or 3 away.. from what I experienced in Va

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I think the mountains hatch is a week or 3 away.. from what I experienced in Va
Definately not doomed The hatch is so spread out the hope is the majority is still toward early June that would be norm for high mtn counties. I was really hoping for overall great hatch seen more hens this spring and heard many others saying same had great potential for bumper crop but we'll see. I'd bet at least with increased hens we can stay consistent. But I'd sure like see one them big eastern hatches out this way.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have seen 5 different hens during the middle of the day this week within 2 miles of the house with no poults. I think those hens will hatch off this week.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I have seen 5 different hens during the middle of the day this week within 2 miles of the house with no poults. I think those hens will hatch off this week.
I saw two hens in Person county about 5 miles apart this afternoon, neither one had poults with them.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns

Looks like some hatching earlier than I thought in my neck of the woods. Only one I have on camera. Put another camera out so hopefully I'll see more.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2nd cutting of hay is on the ground here. Good news that no turkeys run through the haybine but not a big surprise. The 1st cutting was early enough that the hens had to find cover to nest in that was not going to be mowed. I have only seen a couple of hens recently, no poults yet.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
A buddy and I bushhogged our deer hunting land for the owner on Monday. One spot, I ran a hen off that had 4 poults who looked to be 3-4 days old. I just quit mowing and left it Un-mowed. Another spot, I ran over a nest that had already hatched out and my buddy said he mowed over one that had already hatched out as well. Both nest were hatched. No evidence of predators or destroyed nests.