Hoping for a Good Hatch

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We start mowing and doing road/lane work on June 1. This week, I've seen another year of very successful hatches of both turkey and quail. I've seen 3 different hen/poult groups. 2 groups were together and had 19 poults between them. The other had 10 poults with her. I've also seen 3 different parent groups of quail with chicks running everywhere :).

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have not seen any poults, but I did just see a tom strutting for 2 hens in a cut wheat field....southern Catawba Co.
I got the see three at work piddling around. Fine specimens they are. Made me forget this full moon prime fishing we have now. :)

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Watched 2 hens this morning across the waterway and probably 15 poults between them. Good sight, especially after some of the room and gloom posted here.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

I'm in the mountains I've seen a lot of turkeys the last few days. Today was the first poults we've seen but a lot of the others were in high weeds. This was 2 hens with 3 poults total. Not good.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2 hens were yelping in the woods near my barn and a gobbler was gobbling across the road this morning. They still mating.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Working on a built-ins for our new house and had a hen with 2 little ones walk by our front porch in Yadkin county. They were slightly bigger than a quail but we’re able to fly.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Seen grouse Fri with several little ones wish I could say same for turkeys in mtns sightings have been slim

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We start mowing and doing road/lane work on June 1. This week, I've seen another year of very successful hatches of both turkey and quail. I've seen 3 different hen/poult groups. 2 groups were together and had 19 poults between them. The other had 10 poults with her. I've also seen 3 different parent groups of quail with chicks running everywhere :).
That’s an awesome report, the turkeys are great but I would be absolutely tickled to see a quail hatch like that

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it rains the next 3 days we gonna get the poor hatch report from the NCWRC this year.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
One hen with 3 poults and one hen with none. Probably going to be a bad year

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I have covered miles of farm land the last two weeks. I have seen probably 100 plus hens and two poults. At this time last year I was seeing 2 to 10 poults per hen . I have been watching 32 hens with binoculars daily and I have not seen a poult with them. From what I am seeing Brunswick and Columbus county is not doing well this year.

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
I have covered miles of farm land the last two weeks. I have seen probably 100 plus hens and two poults. At this time last year I was seeing 2 to 10 poults per hen . I have been watching 32 hens with binoculars daily and I have not seen a poult with them. From what I am seeing Brunswick and Columbus county is not doing well this year.
What are you thinking the factors are that attribute to this years poult production being lower than last year?

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
What are you thinking the factors are that attribute to this years poult production being lower than last year?
I really don't know other than it being a much cooler spring. We have had a lot of rain but nothing that I haven't seen them survive before. We had dry weather when they should have hatched and they should be big enough to survive now. Predator's kill a lot over time but not at the rate I'm seeing or not seeing

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Weeks of cold rains and at prime hatching time. Poults die.from hypothermia easy. Wet hens smell and predators can find them easier. Not been but 2 weeks of decent weather for poults to survive and it was when most were already dead from a week of cold rains and local.floods. Now this past week has been cold and wet. Any late hatching is doomed.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Every year these type posts are seen

If turkeys can’t survive normalish North Carolina springs they have no business here and we may as well say good bye,,,,,,

or are you guys just prepping excuses for the next few years??

:eek:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

If turkeys can’t survive normalish North Carolina springs they have no business here and we may as well say good bye,,,,,,

NC turkeys are "special" when they all die out maybe they will restock with hardy northern turkeys. We need cultural diversity anyway.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm still waiting to see the poults in mtns I've been trout fishing driving back roads where I usually see them so far my count is 16 hens and only 1 had 2 poults. I'll give it couple more weeks till I give opinion they can be tough to see this small but if by mid July I don't see more I'll get concerned. One thing I have seen is more hens than in past several years

Woods and water

Ten Pointer

Heck I didn't slay em this year after seeing last year's hatch so I guess I should expect the same results.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Obviously you are in the Lesbian hen area.....they only adopt

• Haha
Reactions: jug

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Isn’t it completely possible that you just haven’t been in the right place at the right time? I see a lot of field watching going on but with all this rain going on the crops are getting high enough you may not see the poults. You just don’t know what you don’t know...... but I do know.... all is well in my part of Halifax county..... sorry to here the rest of the state is doomed