Hooded Mergansers

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Isnt it illegal to just throw away game?? Wanton waste?? If you kill birds and just throw them away you are a loser.

philosophically I agree with your concept on waste, but NC (as far as I know) does not have a wanton waste law,,,,some states due but never read of such in NC

buy hey, I could have missed it

me? Never met a duck I didn't like eating,,,but then never shot a merganser of any species...

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
C80A7835-F76A-4410-9225-3F76D32C5D76.png

NC does have wanton waste laws, but they don’t apply to what you do with it once you’re home. Actually I believe this is federal.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
philosophically I agree with your concept on waste, but NC (as far as I know) does not have a wanton waste law,,,,some states due but never read of such in NC

buy hey, I could have missed it

me? Never met a duck I didn't like eating,,,but then never shot a merganser of any species...

No NC law that I’m aware of, but believe there is a federal law regarding waterfowl.
Must retrieve and count towards bag limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I’m not nearly as concerned about what they law states as much as I am ethics. All of these young idiots that just wanna go out and shoot with no regard of what happens to the birds after they’re dead have been a major contributing factor to the down fall of duck hunting in my opinion. As long as they make a pile on a tailgate and get a pretty picture out of it and then throw the birds in a ditch it’s alright. Don’t really care what any of you think about it......the bottom line is that it is a waste. If you just wanna shoot something then go buy a skeet thrower and stay off the water so that those of us who are ethical and serious about it can get back to enjoying it. Probably too late for it now

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No NC law that I’m aware of, but believe there is a federal law regarding waterfowl.
Must retrieve and count towards bag limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

correct,,,but most states' wanton waste laws deal with how the meat is handled from harvested game, not the actual possession/limits

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Isnt it illegal to just throw away game?? Wanton waste?? If you kill birds and just throw them away you are a loser.
I would hope we have a wanton waste law but not sure.... you need to read my post again..... the statement of throwing in the woods was just in reference the earlier resources going away...........l
I’m not nearly as concerned about what they law states as much as I am ethics. All of these young idiots that just wanna go out and shoot with no regard of what happens to the birds after they’re dead have been a major contributing factor to the down fall of duck hunting in my opinion. As long as they make a pile on a tailgate and get a pretty picture out of it and then throw the birds in a ditch it’s alright. Don’t really care what any of you think about it......the bottom line is that it is a waste. If you just wanna shoot something then go buy a skeet thrower and stay off the water so that those of us who are ethical and serious about it can get back to enjoying it. Probably too late for it now
Now I can agree with all of the above...... I guess your first post just caught me wrong..... I also corrected post 26........ I think I have shot one Merganser in all my years..99% Wood ducks...... and occasional opportunity at a mallard. Pan seer with Cavendars Greek seasoning and Olive oil in a hot skillet is my favorite!

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would hope we have a wanton waste law but not sure.... you need to read my post again..... the statement of throwing in the woods was just in reference the earlier resources going away...........l
Actually that wanton waste clause in the regs is only for waterfowl and it is in there because it is a federal reg. No state reg in NC. It doesn't apply to any other game.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of it enforced.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I want to apologize for my previous comments about eating duck. I killed a few scoters the other day and I was ready to feed them to the dawg when I said what the heck. I recall old Tony Bourdain on his TV show cooking ducks for a group of duck hunters. A really simple recipe. I breasted them out and took a cast iron skillet, added a little butter and olive oil, heated it to medium (you have to be careful with cast iron) and with a little steak seasoning I browned them on one side for about 3-4 minutes and turned them over for another minutes or so. They were RARE to MEDIUM RARE to say the least. Blood everywhere. :D I sliced them across the the grain, smeared a little chutney on them , closed my eyes and took a bite. Simply delicious! I didn't even need the chutney. The dawg went without. And this was with scoters that were flying just a few hours earlier. So, to prepare duck, all you have to do is "warm it up". If the meat is gray or no longer bleeding then it's not fit to eat. (n)

I think the dawg is pissed.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
We blacken sea ducks that turn out very good. Cube meat and marinade with whatever you like but make sure you have some sort of oil base to the mix. Get skillet super hot (outdoors of course) and add cubes, tossing for a minute or so until done. Like Downeast said, it needs to be red in the middle. It’s really good.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I want to apologize for my previous comments about eating duck. I killed a few scoters the other day and I was ready to feed them to the dawg when I said what the heck. I recall old Tony Bourdain on his TV show cooking ducks for a group of duck hunters. A really simple recipe. I breasted them out and took a cast iron skillet, added a little butter and olive oil, heated it to medium (you have to be careful with cast iron) and with a little steak seasoning I browned them on one side for about 3-4 minutes and turned them over for another minutes or so. They were RARE to MEDIUM RARE to say the least. Blood everywhere. :D I sliced them across the the grain, smeared a little chutney on them , closed my eyes and took a bite. Simply delicious! I didn't even need the chutney. The dawg went without. And this was with scoters that were flying just a few hours earlier. So, to prepare duck, all you have to do is "warm it up". If the meat is gray or no longer bleeding then it's not fit to eat. (n)

I think the dawg is pissed.

That’s awesome. Scoters are by and far my favorite ducks to eat. As stated previous, if you cook it you’ve ruined it

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
correct,,,but most states' wanton waste laws deal with how the meat is handled from harvested game, not the actual possession/limits
Actually that wanton waste clause in the regs is only for waterfowl and it is in there because it is a federal reg. No state reg in NC. It doesn't apply to any other game.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of it enforced.
I've seen and heard of it enforced, I remember a case where the feds were offering reward money regarding a bear left for dead in Western NC. I don't know how/why they had jurisdiction (maybe it was the National Forest?)

Most of the cases I'm familiar with have been geese, either Snows or Canada Geese, but I don't remember any here in NC.
I'll go out on a limb and say most duck hunters won't eat ANY diver....
And now I'm reading about others not wanting to eat some puddle ducks..... So why do they hunt them at all ???
Divers, I always marinated in Allegro, grilled wrapped in bacon. Do not ever overcook---- it'll take a six pack to wash down 1breast if you do !

I don't get it. I really think a lot of folks don't know how to cook. And I'm not even talking about the wild game default of marinade/bacon wrap. Ruddy Ducks are delicious and at one point during the market days were more in demand than pintails. Bluebills and Redheads the same. Duck meat is tough when you overcook it, most people really overcook it though.

I've thrown Mergansers into the chili pot before with other ducks that were too shot up to be worth plucking. Didn't taste the mergansers but I don't seem to see tons and tons of them.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah. Maybe I don't know how to cook. Maybe I do....
Either way, the ducks will be ok since I haven't waterfowl hunted at all in 8 years.