Honda Rancher Carburetor Question

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a 2004 Honda Rancher. It got where it would crank and run about 10 seconds, then wouldn't crank to save your life until you waited a while.
I knew it was probably the carburetor, so I ordered a repair kit and took the carburetor out. Was working on it today, and took the cap off the park that holds the diaphragm (some kind of vacuum). It looks stretched out and I can't get it back into place correctly. Looked up on line, and that diaphragm runs about $50. eBay has entire new carburetors for $30. Are those carburetors any good/worth putting on? Or, should I bite the bullet and get a new diaphragm.

justwin24

Six Pointer

For my 2001 Rancher I ordered one off of Ebay and it didn't work very well and had compatibility issues.

For my 1998 Rancher I ordered one off Amazon that had good reviews and answered questions. It works great.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
My 03 took a crap same thing run and die then puke fuel....
I got a carb from Amazon. Was new factory about 80$.

Just me but for the time I would not mess with a cheap Carb that is new for 30$ most likely china junk.

It will let go in the middle of junting season.

That or have someone that knows what they are doing rebuild your carb.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I've bought several Carbs from Amazon (Briggs and Stratton engine, gator, kids 4 wheeler, and Yamaha golf cart). Read the reviews and get the best one, also look for "prime" if you are a member.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unfortunately, Amazon appears to only have the cheaper carbs also. I guess I could get one with the best reviews and try it. If it doesn't work, I assume I could take out the diaphragm on the new one, and use it on my old carburetor.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Make sure you drain all the lines and fuel so trash in the tank over the years does not screw up the new one.

justwin24

Six Pointer
Unfortunately, Amazon appears to only have the cheaper carbs also. I guess I could get one with the best reviews and try it. If it doesn't work, I assume I could take out the diaphragm on the new one, and use it on my old carburetor.
The cheaper carb off of Amazon is what I used. It was just under $50.

Game On

Four Pointer
I just ordered 1 from amazon 1st of January. I picked the one with the best reviews based on number of buyers. I stayed away from the ones with only 2 or 3 sold. Found one with hundreds or maybe thousands sold and great reviews. It had a few bad reviews but overall 4.5 stars. Fit was great started right up, idled a little high, adjusted that and my son has been riding non stop since with no issues. Top speed, midrange and idle all great. Ill try and look at the name for you. 2002 Rancher 350.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
I put one on my Polaris several years ago that I bought from ebay for less than a hundred.... runs as good today as the original ran when it was new.. Polaris wanted about 5-600 if I remember right.... I do remember thinking that i could buy one a year for a long time before the factory replacement would have been a better deal.... assuming it would last. I'm happy with it.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Replaced the carb on my 05 Honda with an aftermarket one from amazon. Easiest thing I think I’ve worked on. Simple idiot proof plug and play with absolutely no adjustments required afterwards. I could t believe it. Mine was around $100 but the yrears before and after mine were about half the price.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I went back to my shop to take another look at it, and the diaphragm had "retracted". I think it must have gotten some carb cleaner on it, which made it expand. Put it all back together and installed it. Cranked and ran fine, except on the top end. It's wanting to cut back on full throttle. That's better than what it was doing, though.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I went back to my shop to take another look at it, and the diaphragm had "retracted". I think it must have gotten some carb cleaner on it, which made it expand. Put it all back together and installed it. Cranked and ran fine, except on the top end. It's wanting to cut back on full throttle. That's better than what it was doing, though.
But if it runs too lean it can run hot and burn the piston or valves.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Sounds as if your main jet has some gunk in it. They can sometimes be a pistol to clean with the tiny hole that runs the length, as most tip cleaner sets do not have a small enough cleaner rod, but I found that a strand of wire stripped from a piece of 12 ga electrical and a lighter will do wonders removing the varnish.
The diaphragm shrunk due to the fuel evaporating from it, as is the case with many rubber parts in a fuel system. I may be wrong in your application, but that may be the fuel supply valve that keeps gas from entering the carb until it gets vacuum, meaning the engine is running (or at least cranking over). That is to prevent fuel overflow out of the bowl vent and possibly into the engine in the event of a stuck fuel valve or hung float.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds as if your main jet has some gunk in it. They can sometimes be a pistol to clean with the tiny hole that runs the length, as most tip cleaner sets do not have a small enough cleaner rod, but I found that a strand of wire stripped from a piece of 12 ga electrical and a lighter will do wonders removing the varnish.
The diaphragm shrunk due to the fuel evaporating from it, as is the case with many rubber parts in a fuel system. I may be wrong in your application, but that may be the fuel supply valve that keeps gas from entering the carb until it gets vacuum, meaning the engine is running (or at least cranking over). That is to prevent fuel overflow out of the bowl vent and possibly into the engine in the event of a stuck fuel valve or hung float.
I bought a kit and replaced all the jets, so I don't think it's that, unless some junk was in the tank clogged it that quick. I'm going to check for a clogged filter/strainer in the gas line, and maybe try adjusting the air screw if that doesn't work.
I've had the carb off the machine for several weeks now, and dumped all the fuel out when I took it off. Carb cleaner on rubber parts will make them expand, but they often shrink back down once they dry out. I think that is what happened to the diaphragm.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought a kit and replaced all the jets, so I don't think it's that, unless some junk was in the tank clogged it that quick. I'm going to check for a clogged filter/strainer in the gas line, and maybe try adjusting the air screw if that doesn't work.
I've had the carb off the machine for several weeks now, and dumped all the fuel out when I took it off. Carb cleaner on rubber parts will make them expand, but they often shrink back down once they dry out. I think that is what happened to the diaphragm.

Not sure of your specific carb, but normally the main jet is not supplied in a kit. IF yours has what I'm mentioning, it's the long brass tube (jet) that comes from the main body into the lower recess of the bowl. It has a small hole through the center that will gum up. Last new one I priced was 30ish or so. That's when I figured out the heat and small wire trick.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure of your specific carb, but normally the main jet is not supplied in a kit. IF yours has what I'm mentioning, it's the long brass tube (jet) that comes from the main body into the lower recess of the bowl. It has a small hole through the center that will gum up. Last new one I priced was 30ish or so. That's when I figured out the heat and small wire trick.
Yep. I replace the main jet, and the low speed jet. It also came with a new air adjustment, but that wouldn't fit, so I had to continue using the old one.