Homemade lure gar fishing jack etc

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve made a few of these and ready to try them out. Does anyone do this or has tried it?
I got the idea from the crappie guy on you tube.
53273ee110b3b973ec24cad8414f2ded.jpg

I’ve got them rigged up a few different ways. Treble hooks/ jigheaded/ and just tied with sliding weight. Point is your not supposed to need hooks as the teeth get wrapped up in the rope if you give the fish time to chew it.
Going with a 50# mono leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Reason for 50lb leader? I’ll preface by saying I have never used that tactic but we have targeted the several times with big shiners about a foot under a bobber. I always used 10lb fluorocarbon.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've never tried that or the bait in panty hose idea that is supposed to work for gar. We used a steel wire leader made into a hoop and held in place with a rubber band with the bait suspended in the middle of it, that always worked great and they were easy to release.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Have done it for gar. It works well. One tip, if you bring them aboard and they flop up against your leg wearing shorts you're gonna look like a bear ran you thru a briar patch. Them teeth are like little needles

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
let us know how they work. Chatham used to have the easiest gar in the world to tangle with but they tore out the dam on deep river in cabonton. I wish I had those (your rope lures) to play with then.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Yes I have tried them. 1 problem with them is you either need to kill everyone you catch or make sure you get all the threads out of their mouth if released. Just a few left can cause them to not be able to open their mouths and starve.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
let us know how they work. Chatham used to have the easiest gar in the world to tangle with but they tore out the dam on deep river in cabonton. I wish I had those (your rope lures) to play with then.

Yea. They are still there on the rocky and deep in those holes. We were messing with them the last couple of weeks. Now that I came across this maybe we can get more in the boat. Been using sucker chubs and little brem.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are supposed to be good on the table. I was trying it once in college. I spent about and hour trying to hack through with a big knife. Couldn’t get it done. Now I know why the other guys used hatchets and grinders.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
They are supposed to be good on the table. I was trying it once in college. I spent about and hour trying to hack through with a big knife. Couldn’t get it done. Now I know why the other guys used hatchets and grinders.

Back in my bowfishing days, we tried to eat them. Tin snips make cleaning the easy part. The texture is identical to lobster thus them being called “poor man’s lobster”......I cut in chunks and fried it. The more I chewed it the bigger it got. No taste whatsoever, no flavor. Yes, I know guys make “gar balls” or put them in shrimp boils but honestly, if you gotta do all that to make a fish edible, most likely didn’t have any business eating it in the first place.................

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back in my bowfishing days, we tried to eat them. Tin snips make cleaning the easy part. The texture is identical to lobster thus them being called “poor man’s lobster”......I cut in chunks and fried it. The more I chewed it the bigger it got. No taste whatsoever, no flavor. Yes, I know guys make “gar balls” or put them in shrimp boils but honestly, if you gotta do all that to make a fish edible, most likely didn’t have any business eating it in the first place.................
They are ok if you cut them into nuggets and fry, since they take the flavor of whatever you batter them with (Semi-hot Autrys of course) but if you try it any other way it's like eating cotton balls.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

tin shears best IMO,,,,works every time

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
They are ok if you cut them into nuggets and fry, since they take the flavor of whatever you batter them with (Semi-hot Autrys of course) but if you try it any other way it's like eating cotton balls.

That’s exactly how I fixed them. I’d never ate it before so I didn’t wanna hide the flavor of the fish with a lot of seasoning. Salt, pepper and cornmeal. It wasn’t good, it wasn’t bad. It was the most tasteless meat I’ve ever eaten. I reckon tastes differ.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Just need more seasoning...

Tin snips are mandatory, in my book.

Fantastic looking lures there,
Luv2Boutdoors ! I wish I had them when I was young !

Edward

Four Pointer
When I lived in Louisiana, we used to eat gar patties. Old fella use to make them and give them out to all the local families. He use to fry up alot of soft shell turtle to, now that was damn good stuff there.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Just need more seasoning...

Very true and to each their own but with fish, I like to eat fish and taste fish. Totally different rant, but that’s why I cringe watching people fry crappie, bluegills or walleye in a “beer batter” type breader. If you gotta do to the fish in order to eat it, you don’t like fish, you like batter. Haha. Which is perfectly fine, but I simply don’t get it.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The rope lures work great, I’ve ate gar as well and have a similar opinion, it’s a bit bland but edible