Home Protection Weapon

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I think some of you would benefit in some home defense testing when it pertains to shotgun loads. You'll likely find that if you hunt ducks, small game or turkey you have a highly effective round at your disposal already. Something that will stop most anyone at in the house ranges and will not enter another room or your neighbors house.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
#6 and #7 are packing more punch than a human can take and keep standing up at 7 yards. I've watched tests at short ranges like that. Devastating and pattern baseball or softball sized.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I have a bunch of these. I think they're rubber for riot control.:unsure::rolleyes:
Maybe they'll work ? Anybody ?? ......LOL

Attachments

• 20200603_183248.jpg
    20200603_183248.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 56

silvertip

Six Pointer
15 -20 feet I don't want to be on the receiving end of anything coming out of a shotgun. Any buckshot load and you are dead period, and a load of 8 shot and I promise you will wish you were dead.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
We're talking 15 feet, 5 yards. The majority of buckshot will be in your target. Hell, majority of a load of 8s will be in your target

I agree. The majority will be on target so stopping power will be better. The majority, not all. Thats why I personally am not interested. I understand and like the shotgun. Kept a 590 Mariner by the bed for years. I prefer to be quieter and more precise now.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
9mm with home defense rounds. Will kill but not go though walls, in theory. Backup mag w FMJ.

Heck, you could even put the FMJ at the bottom of your first mag. I have an XD9, 17 round mags. Lots of opportunities there.

9mm is in the Gunvault safe. Wife has her own gun she likes. Then I have another Gunvault w my concealed carry. I'm not within 15 steps of a Gunvault safe. I have kids, so anything that's loaded is locked up but should be quickly accessible to us adults.

Have an AR for stray dogs or yotes outside the house. Only gone condition 1 once, and I didn't have to take it off safe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
davy crocket,

no self respecting Zombie killer would be without one!!

ord_7.jpg

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
y'all are telling me that a 9mm will not go through a wall inside of a house. Y'all full of :donk:donk:donk:donk or they change wall constructions where you are at. an interior wall is only 2 layers of sheetrock. I'm guessing that 9mm just will stop in the exterior wall if it's brick.

I want to see the video of a interior wall stopping a 9mm.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
y'all are telling me that a 9mm will not go through a wall inside of a house. Y'all full of :donk:donk:donk:donk or they change wall constructions where you are at. an interior wall is only 2 layers of sheetrock. I'm guessing that 9mm just will stop in the exterior wall if it's brick.

I want to see the video of a interior wall stopping a 9mm.
I back my sheet rock with a sheet of AR500. 😂
But no plans to go do a shoot and show....

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
We're talking 15 feet, 5 yards. The majority of buckshot will be in your target. Hell, majority of a load of 8s will be in your target

Take a 12 gauge, turkey choke with 7 shot and shoot a 2x4 at 15'. It makes a nice hole.
no self respecting Zombie killer would be without one!!

ord_7.jpg

My grandpa was involved in the project. His involvement was determining the practicality of it's use in the infantry.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My grandpa was involved in the project. His involvement was determining the practicality of it's use in the infantry.

ours was the SADM,,,,,

went out of style the end of the 80s,,,,but they were some interesting times,,,,

we were supposed to "observe" the explosion,,,,,yeah,,,right,,

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
ours was the SADM,,,,,

went out of style the end of the 80s,,,,but they were some interesting times,,,,

we were supposed to "observe" the explosion,,,,,yeah,,,right,,

PawPaw said he feared it would decimate our own ranks. I asked why would it do that if we fired it at the enemy. He recalled Japs searching for flame throwers and snipe the tank not the man. Then there's the tactical standpoint to preserve the life of the platoon (and battalion if it's in close proximity) it was not feasible to retreat to a safe distance and maintain the line. Plus malfunctions happen.

He was against the use but not from a moral standpoint.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
against the use but not from a moral standpoint.

ditto,,,,,

we always expected the device was rigged to go off on initialization switch,,,not by timer,,,powers that be were worried on compromise if emplaced and then we hauled butt,,so to defeat that "risk" you just have it go off while we are there,,,,

had a friend who flipped an initialization switch in the aircraft while enroute on jump run,,,(it was a dummy device),,,,the Observers asked "why did you do that? That's not protocol",,,

my buddy said "cause I firmly believe this bad boy will go off when we flip that initialization switch,,,and I want you folks to see the glory"

he was a bit of a smart arse,,,,good man though,,,,one of the best

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
#7 or #8 with a tight pattern will make a nasty wound, and the person on the recieving end may or may not bleed out....eventually. It can kill, and certainly has. But since the object is to stop the threat as quickly as possible, I'd want at least #4 buck. The individual pellets in the smaller shot shed energy too fast for any real penetration. They do not "act like a slug" as some claim. They're close together, but nowhere near solid, and therefore have no real energy to carry them to vitals or make consistent stops. I certainly wouldn't want to get shot by them (or anything for that matter), but if I'm in the position to shoot I'm shooting to stop the threat and don't want to use something that's marginal at the very best.

To the OP: whatever you choose just make you're proficient with it and are comfortable enough that you can manipulate the controls, etc without taking your eyes off of the threat.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
ditto,,,,,

we always expected the device was rigged to go off on initialization switch,,,not by timer,,,powers that be were worried on compromise if emplaced and then we hauled butt,,so to defeat that "risk" you just have it go off while we are there,,,,

had a friend who flipped an initialization switch in the aircraft while enroute on jump run,,,(it was a dummy device),,,,the Observers asked "why did you do that? That's not protocol",,,

my buddy said "cause I firmly believe this bad boy will go off when we flip that initialization switch,,,and I want you folks to see the glory"

I found it ironic as a Forward Observer that the blast radius on some of those SRT's exceeded typical call for fire range.

And why would anyone in their right mind go through another month of training and an unholy amount of background checks to qualify for the privelage of calling for something that was essentially a death sentence.

I did it anyway, so.....:rolleyes:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
#7 or #8 with a tight pattern will make a nasty wound, and the person on the recieving end may or may not bleed out....eventually. It can kill, and certainly has. But since the object is to stop the threat as quickly as possible, I'd want at least #4 buck. The individual pellets in the smaller shot shed energy too fast for any real penetration. They do not "act like a slug" as some claim. They're close together, but nowhere near solid, and therefore have no real energy to carry them to vitals or make consistent stops. I certainly wouldn't want to get shot by them (or anything for that matter), but if I'm in the position to shoot I'm shooting to stop the threat and don't want to use something that's marginal at the very best.

To the OP: whatever you choose just make you're proficient with it and are comfortable enough that you can manipulate the controls, etc without taking your eyes off of the threat.
Matt, believe me, none of us wants to catch a load of 8s inside the house.

The best weapon is the one in your hand. Whether it's a shotgun. Pistol or AR. The kitchen knife will work if you have to use it.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
My point about the small shot size was, whatever you have will work.

V8stang's advice is correct. Proficiency and comfort is best in stressful situations like home and family defense. (y)

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
ditto,,,,,

Sounds like a helluva guy. Bet there's lots of stories !